The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by htr5
I have done 0% revision and I barely listened in lessons because I've wanted to drop biology but the school didn't let me becauseof blah blah blah.

I got a B in the January exam and a C in the coursework. I didn't want to submit a U grade to a uni hence wanting to drop as I'm interested in physics and maths.
What are the consequences of not turning up?
I know i'll get a few responses along the lines of turn up and hope for the best but I think it will be a waste of time.

You have two choices - dont turn up .. And let it ponder u forever hahaha

2. Turn up and do it for fun.. write the examiner a interesting essay on anything haha -.- I've done that before , just read up on a few things and see what grade u turn up with lool , u may also have to pay your college

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 901
Original post by Tom_hess
Animals in natural habitat, behaving normally
Maintains biodiversity in that area

Hard to get food to animals
Hard to observe animals over a large area
Difficult to prevent poachers 24/7

What if it was 8 marks instead of 4marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ladybug.hugsxoxo

2. Turn up and do it for fun.. write the examiner a interesting essay on anything haha -.- I've done that before , just read up on a few things and see what grade u turn up with lool , u may also have to pay your college

Posted from TSR Mobile

P. s you'll get a u even if u don't turn up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just did the January 2013 paper and got around 94 marks. hoping to get full UMS but it all depends on what sort of paper they throw on us :smile: Good luck for tomorrow guys. Its so annoying that they don't Allow us to talk about exam till midnight !!
Original post by jollygood
Just did the January 2013 paper and got around 94 marks. hoping to get full UMS but it all depends on what sort of paper they throw on us :smile: Good luck for tomorrow guys. Its so annoying that they don't Allow us to talk about exam till midnight !!

you can talk about the exam after it, because its and OCR exam. That rule only applies to edexcel I think
Reply 905
Where would it be more beneficial to build a new road... an area of stable or unstable biodiversity... I keep thinking neither would be beneficial but I wouldn't get any mark for that...
Reply 906
Original post by Limitless!
Hi guys

Can someone help me with this question please?

"Describe the differences between a classification system based on domains and one based on Kingdoms" [4]

Domains are Bacteria, Archaea and Eukaryotae. Meanwhile kingdoms are Prokaryotae, Protoctista, Animalia, Plantae and Fungi. Prokaryotes are in the same group in the kingdom classification whereas they are divided into two domains in the domain classification. Eukaryotes are in four different groups in the kingdom classification but are in one domain in the domain classification. Hope that helped:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 907
What are the advantage and disadvantages of in situ (8 marks)
What are advantage and disadvantages of ex situ? (8marks)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone answer my question pretty pleasee??
What are the main steps of transcription and translation? (protein synthesis)?
I get it, but I don't exactly know how to word it. Thanks
Original post by alby37135
Where would it be more beneficial to build a new road... an area of stable or unstable biodiversity... I keep thinking neither would be beneficial but I wouldn't get any mark for that...

the area of stable biodiversity as its more stable and is able to withstand change
Reply 910
Original post by ladybug.hugsxoxo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is there a possibility that I don't get a Biology grade and hence don't have to submit anything to UCAS about biology?
Reply 911
Did anyone else find the Jan 2011 paper horrific..or is that just me?
Original post by Dejir
What are the advantage and disadvantages of in situ (8 marks)
What are advantage and disadvantages of ex situ? (8marks)

Posted from TSR Mobile

IN SITU
advs: larger populations can be monitored, organisms are kept within their natural environment to which they are adapted. Animals can select their mates, the size of the gene pool is maintained (lower chance of inbreeding and disease susceptability), animals can still be tagged and tracked. nature parks can be set up which can protect animals from hunting, and these areas can also be used for scientific research and leisure activities such as hiking so there are benefits for everyone.

disadvantages- it is harder to monitor the health of members of larger populations. Also, it is difficult to enforce hunting laws and many will continue to poach or log illegally. There is high competition in the wild and it might be difficult for some species to survive- and there is an increased mortality amongst the young. When you set up areas for nature reserves, this can often cause conflicts with the locals who can no longer use the land- for example for religious reasons (such as sacred sites for prayer). Tourists in the area can also feed protected animals which causes them harm.
Reply 913
Original post by htr5
I have done 0% revision and I barely listened in lessons because I've wanted to drop biology but the school didn't let me becauseof blah blah blah.

I got a B in the January exam and a C in the coursework. I didn't want to submit a U grade to a uni hence wanting to drop as I'm interested in physics and maths.
What are the consequences of not turning up to the exam?
I know i'll get a few responses along the lines of turn up and hope for the best but I think it will be a waste of time.

Do the exam paper and get a U.
Lowers the grade boundaries for the rest of us :biggrin:
Reply 914
Original post by rachhhhhh
Did anyone else find the Jan 2011 paper horrific..or is that just me?

Found the may 2011 worse the jan 2011 was ok actually and boundary very low.
Reply 915
Original post by Limitless!
Hi guys

Can someone help me with this question please?

"Describe the differences between a classification system based on domains and one based on Kingdoms" [4]

What paper did you find this question from?
Original post by jollygood

That's edexcel :smile: We are all free to freak out as soon as we leave the exam hall :biggrin:

Original post by GirlWithADream

I know what you mean, I tend to write down everything I know, often using extra paper lol

but the basic outline
- The required gene can be exposed by splitting the H bonds that hold the double helix together in that region
- free RNA nucleotides form a complementary strand (mRNA) by the base pairing rules
- the mRNA peels away from the DNA and leaves the nucleus via the nuclear pores
- the mRNA attaches to a ribosome
- tRNA molecules bring amino acids to the ribosome in the correct order, according to the base sequence on the mRNA (tRNA consists of 3 bases, which matches 3 bases on the mRNA,)
- the amino acids are joined by peptide bonds to give a protein with a specific primary structure.

:smile:
Reply 917
Original post by GirlWithADream

Protein synthesis

Transcription:
required gene is exposed by breaking hydrogen bonds between nitrogenous bases
RNA forms complementary strand
mRNA leaves from nucleus through nuclear pore

Translation:
mRNA attaches to ribosome
tRNA transports amino acids to ribosome in correct order depending on the mRNA triplet code
peptide bond form between amino acids
Stop codon is reached by ribosome and specific protein is release.

Can add more detail but that would get you 10/10
Reply 918
What does Polymerase do during Proteinsynthesis?
Anyone have a good answer for DNA replication. I get it, but idk how to write it :L

Latest

Trending

Trending