The Student Room Group

PHYA5 ~ 20th June 2013 ~ A2 Physics

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The H
What do we think about potential 6 markers for turning points?
I'd say maybe something to do with special relativity or discovery of the electron

Electron microscope

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 301
Original post by cavalera94
Electron microscope

Posted from TSR Mobile

Transmission maybe? Because I think there has already been a scanning tunnelling?
Or it could be both I suppose
Original post by The H
Transmission maybe? Because I think there has already been a scanning tunnelling?
Or it could be both I suppose

Yeah it being on both and comparing the two could be a possibility, maybe even for seven marks. There has been one before
Original post by posthumus
I see what you mean here... logically in that respect the other person would be travelling 1.2c relative to you.

What would we then do to find the time relative to the "other person" (to go from A to B)... you could have the time you saw them go from A to B... but if you use 1.2c in the Lorentz factor... you can't square root that?

So they couldn't possibly ask us to do a calculation in situations such as this one? :confused:

Maybe they could ask it as a written question instead... where we'd have to quote E=mc^2 & that KE is converted into mass, therefore in reality it would never actually reach that speed?

Yeah respective to you someone's travelling at 1.2c however this is impossible as nothing can travel faster than the speed of light , c.

So for all of this to work, you have to change other factors like time and length.

I wasn't saying that they'd ever ask anything about it, but I never really understood the point of special relativity until someone explained it to me like that, that was all :smile: sorry if I've confused you aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SortYourLife
Yeah respective to you someone's travelling at 1.2c however this is impossible as nothing can travel faster than the speed of light , c.

So for all of this to work, you have to change other factors like time and length.

I wasn't saying that they'd ever ask anything about it, but I never really understood the point of special relativity until someone explained it to me like that, that was all :smile: sorry if I've confused you aha

Posted from TSR Mobile

aha no it's okay... I'd actually never thought of it from the perspective... "head on" :biggrin: hehe

Also I am confused because even a person would not be able to observe something with their eyes... something going faster than the speed of light, it is quite confusing, but pretty cool :tongue:

I think it would be a good question, as a written question :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by posthumus
aha no it's okay... I'd actually never thought of it from the perspective... "head on" :biggrin: hehe

Also I am confused because even a person would not be able to observe something with their eyes... something going faster than the speed of light, it is quite confusing, but pretty cool :tongue:

I think it would be a good question, as a written question :smile:

I know, something travelling that fast and you can go oh hey that was only 16m long, not the 120m it is at rest.... Aha :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 306
Original post by Fabz.
Guys how many significant figures should we generally use?

If the question does not specify, then you always quote your answer to the number of significant figures of your least accurate term in the calculation. Hope this helps :smile:
Sorry if this has been asked/discussed before but I'm late ITT.

Possible 6 markers for nuclear and astro?

The nuclear paper has had two nuclear based long-answer Qs, and 1 thermal. So I'm thinking maybe thermal will come up, the derivation of pV = 1/3 NM(crms)^2 perhaps?

No idea about astro though tbh
Reply 308
Can anyone direct me to some Applied Physics notes? I missed most of the lessons due to absences and could use some notes and questions.

Thanks!
Reply 309
Original post by UnknownOrigin

The nuclear paper has had two nuclear based long-answer Qs, and 1 thermal. So I'm thinking maybe thermal will come up, the derivation of pV = 1/3 NM(crms)^2 perhaps?

For the nuclear paper I think it may be something to do with molecular kinetic theory, unless they repeat something they've already done.
But I don't do astrophysics
Reply 310

Derivation of pV=blah blah.. I'm hopin that comes up because I won't attempt the 6 marker anyway and that one most people will get 0/6 because it's really hard, so lower grade boundaries overall :smile: (not to sound harsh or anything). Other than that radioactive waste, something to do with specific heat/latent heat.

Astro could be evidence for big bang theory, how reflecting telescopes work and advantage over refracting, life cycle of stars (giants and main sequence), something annoying on spectra and spectral classes.
Reply 311
Original post by JRP95
Derivation of pV=blah blah.. I'm hopin that comes up because I won't attempt the 6 marker anyway and that one most people will get 0/6 because it's really hard, so lower grade boundaries overall :smile: (not to sound harsh or anything). Other than that radioactive waste, something to do with specific heat/latent heat.

Astro could be evidence for big bang theory, how reflecting telescopes work and advantage over refracting, life cycle of stars (giants and main sequence), something annoying on spectra and spectral classes.

If I'm not mistaken, I thought the derivation of the kinetic theory equation wasn't required for this spec? :s.
Reply 312
No worries, sorted.

On the topic of this exam, we're doing turning points and the paper they give on it is ridiculously hard, anyone else doing turning points?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 313
Original post by amish123
If I'm not mistaken, I thought the derivation of the kinetic theory equation wasn't required for this spec? :s.

Yeah I doubt it really it's too complicated for A2.
Can someone explain the electron diffraction experiment to me? I found it in one of the papers but none of my books :/
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Beth_L_G
Can someone explain the electron diffraction experiment to me? I found it in one of the papers but none of my books :/

Was it a 6 marker ?

- Fine beam of electrons accelerate via p.d. within vacuum tube
- diffracted by tiny graphite crystals, as the size is similar to the de broglie wavelength of an electron
lambda h/mv

- if you increase p.d. the velocity of the electron will increase
- since p.d. inverse proportional relationship with lamda, wavelength will also decrease
- circular diffraction pattern observed on a screen

EDIT: Oh and this works because the electron can act as a wave (wave-particle duality), so mentioning that could possibly get you marks too :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 316

I doubt the derivation would be a sixth marker. Or come up at all, its a pretty simple derivation. They would probably ask about the assumptions.
I'm hoping for a kinetic theory one to explain the gas laws or to do with the Rutherford scattering experiment, as long as its not nuclear energy :s-smilie:
Reply 317
Anyone do the applied physics option 5C, I believe it is.
Reply 318
Original post by lochbeau
No worries, sorted.

On the topic of this exam, we're doing turning points and the paper they give on it is ridiculously hard, anyone else doing turning points?

Yeah I am, but honestly i'm more worried about the nuclear part than turning points
Guyyss anyone knows why
only large unstable isotopes decay with alpha??.
in the aqa physics book one of the questions ask this..
and their are no answers pg 187 of the aqa bk
thanks
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending