The Student Room Group

**A2 Classical Civilisation**

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I've had the exact same thing with the essays! :O
With the quotes, I'm just learning minimal sentences and words, literally just a few words. I've not made like a list of quotes but I have in my mind just a general few I guess?

Exam in 3 days for Augustus and 6 days for Tiberius + Claudius :eek:

I wish there was a text book or revision guide, would make life so much easier!!

:frown:

Original post by Natterina
Hi! They're horrible to revise for, aren't they? Only tips I can really give are posters! (I just write things like 'foreign policy' 'domestic policy' etc in the centre and then just list what they did in that area) But I know the feeling! I've wrote a few essays too, but whenever I compare them to the mark scheme, nothing I've wrote about is in there D: it doesn't help that the texts are so difficult to read, does it?

With your quotes, have you memorised sentences or just a few words to slot in the essay?
Reply 101
"copied out the chapters" >>? wow!

I've just finished reading all of the texts again. A little worried at the detail they could ask for in the exam and I guess learning the texts thoroughly is the only best option :frown: This exam is so hard to revise for :eek:

Original post by Her.Dark.Majesty
For Tiberius and Claudius I've literally just just gone through Tacitus and Suetonius and copied out the chapters. It's dull but it's the first time the information has sunk in. Going to condense it into mind maps and revise from there.
Reply 102
Hi guys,
I'm doing Greek Tragedy & Socrates and Athens. (:
But I kind of need some help on the Socrates unit.
Does anyone know about Socrates' methods; Elenchus and Dialectic?
Cause I'm kind of confused on that stuff. >.<
Reply 103
Original post by Alejandro
Hey, just thought I'd quote you as I'm revising them at the moment!
I'm revising them in quite a lot of detail as they haven't come up yet. In 2010 it was metopes asked I think and then 2011 and 2012 was a pediments question asked. So they really are due a frieze question! Praying they don't ask yet another pediments question.

How much are you revising them? :smile:

Hi,
Im doing the exact same as you, focussing on the friezes mostly for architectural sculpture - its what I find the most difficult anyway - because like you said they havent come up yet. I like metopes and pediments are okay so if they do come up (which is unlikely) then it should be ok. What about for free-standing and vase-painting?

I'm not realy planning to revise temple architecture purely because I dont feel confident answering it and plus, theres no need so long as you learn 3 of the sections in detial as theres always a choice:smile:
Yeah. I made a revision guide for myself but it's just quotes mostly. Writing out the chapters actually doesn't take long. And it fixes in your head Exactly who is who and what happened. I am worried they're going to ask a horrible little question on something like Italicus or another foreign person. I will definitely be answering a Claudius question!!

Original post by KingFalcon
"copied out the chapters" >>? wow!

I've just finished reading all of the texts again. A little worried at the detail they could ask for in the exam and I guess learning the texts thoroughly is the only best option :frown: This exam is so hard to revise for :eek:
Reply 105
Hi Everyone,

I'm doing the Aeneid and Augustus, done loads of notes on both if anybody thinks they'll be of any use PM me for them.

Has anybody got A grade essays they've written on either side, my teacher doesn't believe in giving people other peoples essays to learn from; regardless if that's how you learn or not. It would be much appreciated.

Thanks!:smile:
I've had the exact same thing with the essays! :O
With the quotes, I'm just learning minimal sentences and words, literally just a few words. I've not made like a list of quotes but I have in my mind just a general few I guess?

Exam in 3 days for Augustus and 6 days for Tiberius + Claudius :eek:

I wish there was a text book or revision guide, would make life so much easier!!

:frown:

It certainly makes you panic doesn't it! Looking at the mark scheme and having nothing in there :frown: As for the quotes, the only long quote I can really remember is the Shepherd shears his flock one! D: Ah, I'm doing Greek tragedy for my Wednesday exam, having to do Augustus as well would just fry my brain with all the detail! Good luck for the exams!

If there was a textbook, I'd pay all the money in the world for it, it seems like the transition from AS to A2 includes a total lack of resources for all subjects :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Yeah. I made a revision guide for myself but it's just quotes mostly. Writing out the chapters actually doesn't take long. And it fixes in your head Exactly who is who and what happened. I am worried they're going to ask a horrible little question on something like Italicus or another foreign person. I will definitely be answering a Claudius question!!

Hi! I did the same as you, copying out chapters, and yet I still don't feel like I have enough detail, have you looked at other texts besides the sources? I haven't and I'm wondering if others have and I'm just making it harder for myself? Have you found the Claudius questions to be much easier than the Tiberius ones?
Original post by Amelie118
Hi,
Im doing the exact same as you, focussing on the friezes mostly for architectural sculpture - its what I find the most difficult anyway - because like you said they havent come up yet. I like metopes and pediments are okay so if they do come up (which is unlikely) then it should be ok. What about for free-standing and vase-painting?

I'm not realy planning to revise temple architecture purely because I dont feel confident answering it and plus, theres no need so long as you learn 3 of the sections in detial as theres always a choice:smile:

I don't mind friezes too much luckily, so i'm praying they come up, especially as i'm focusing a lot of my revision on them! Metopes I don't find too bad either but pediments I think I need to go over a little bit more. Do you have any idea what type of question they could ask for the freizes? I want to do some practice questions but have only seen one about conflict on friezes and metopes!

Yeah that's true! I'm kind of taking a big risk though as i'm mainly focusing my revision on arch sculpture and sanctuaries and just going over the others a little bit (so if they both come up in the same section i'm screwed).

Anyway as I said i'm not really focusing on vases and free standing much as I always found them the hardest to memorise so unfortunately I can't really help you there :frown: I think there was some discussion on here a few pages back about what might come up for vases though :smile:
Reply 109
Yeah I think I'm going to go for the Claudius section too, it just seems much less complicated and straight forward compared to Tiberius!

Reply 110
AQA should really bring out a text book for Classics, it would make the teaching and learning of the subject so much easier.
Haha yeah thats one of the Tiberius' quotes :smile:

It certainly makes you panic doesn't it! Looking at the mark scheme and having nothing in there :frown: As for the quotes, the only long quote I can really remember is the Shepherd shears his flock one! D: Ah, I'm doing Greek tragedy for my Wednesday exam, having to do Augustus as well would just fry my brain with all the detail! Good luck for the exams!

If there was a textbook, I'd pay all the money in the world for it, it seems like the transition from AS to A2 includes a total lack of resources for all subjects :frown:
AQA should really bring out a text book for Classics, it would make the teaching and learning of the subject so much easier.
Haha yeah thats one of the Tiberius' quotes :smile:

They definitely should! It would give people more of a direction to study in, and a better idea of how to tackle the exam.

By the way, have you done much on how to tackle the literature type question that is one of the forty mark questions?
Hi,

Someone mentioned the mannerists as a possible topic for the vases... what do we need to know about them?? (my teacher neglected to mention them except that the pan painter was one -_- )

anyone on OCR?! exam on the 10th and 13th?
Reply 114
I don't mind friezes too much luckily, so i'm praying they come up, especially as i'm focusing a lot of my revision on them! Metopes I don't find too bad either but pediments I think I need to go over a little bit more. Do you have any idea what type of question they could ask for the freizes? I want to do some practice questions but have only seen one about conflict on friezes and metopes!

Yeah that's true! I'm kind of taking a big risk though as i'm mainly focusing my revision on arch sculpture and sanctuaries and just going over the others a little bit (so if they both come up in the same section i'm screwed).

Anyway as I said i'm not really focusing on vases and free standing much as I always found them the hardest to memorise so unfortunately I can't really help you there :frown: I think there was some discussion on here a few pages back about what might come up for vases though :smile:

Thats funny I'm in the complete opposite I prefer vases and free standing and I'm kinda doing the same with vases and free standing and revising friezes and metopes just in case the thing with pediments they have come up two years in a row. I think as friezes haven't come up I'm focusing on them and doing a tiny bit on metopes. We are hoping for the same thing I don't want free standing and vases to be in the same section.
Reply 115
Original post by silence will fall
Hi,

Someone mentioned the mannerists as a possible topic for the vases... what do we need to know about them?? (my teacher neglected to mention them except that the pan painter was one -_- )

As they came up last year I am praying on something on black figure artists , black figure vs red figure, or thematic essay like conflict, myths, gods etc
I[INDENT]Hello guys I'm doing the aaa exam on Wednesday the Greek tragedy and the aneied on Friday and I'm so scared right about now! Can anyone offer some advise, on the approach of answering the essays 20 mk & 40 :confused: thanks :smile:
Claudius questions are much easier because it's almost guaranteed you will get an extract from Suetonius. If you get one from Tacitus it will be on Messalina or freedmen which is my ideal question tbh. I've read I, Claudius but that is very opinionated. Graves isn't Tiberius' biggest fan.

Hi! I did the same as you, copying out chapters, and yet I still don't feel like I have enough detail, have you looked at other texts besides the sources? I haven't and I'm wondering if others have and I'm just making it harder for myself? Have you found the Claudius questions to be much easier than the Tiberius ones?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 118
Original post by MelaMelaMela
IHello guys I'm doing the aaa exam on Wednesday the Greek tragedy and the aneied on Friday and I'm so scared right about now! Can anyone offer some advise, on the approach of answering the essays 20 mk & 40 :confused: thanks :smile:

I do aeneid and greek tragedy and I have a star essays on both topics but they r hand written up I can send by pic, I also have lots of 20 markers, mainly aeneid though
Reply 119

Hi,
I think that we will get a frieze question, because they have to ask a question on architectural sculpture and friezes have never come up? It makes sense really... Or if not, it will probably be a theme across different types of arch sculpture. Thank goodness pediments came up last year so hopefully we will have escaped!!! Hopefully we will get a nice paper :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending