The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by needtosucceed=)
this is what I was thinking. i'm pretty sure double bonds on the 1st carbon can still show e/z.

You just should not have only one group of atoms attached to the double bond carbon, it always has to be two? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jimmy20002012
You just should not have only one group of atoms attached to the double bond carbon, it always has to be two? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

yep, so for example hclc=chcl would show e/z

as would ClHC=CClCH3
theres 3 carbons in that example, the double bond is on the first carbon but both carbons are still attached to 2 different atoms/groups of atoms
Original post by carpe diem 123
Hey, where can I find this list of definitions?

page 76 or 77
Original post by Jonma
Can someone please explain this question?
chem ques.png

I explained that to someone a few days ago, go back to somewhere between pages 60-70 and you should find it :smile:
Reply 1564
Not sure that is completely right, as if you see the Jan 13 mechanism 12 marker the end product in nucleophillic substitution has an OH group as well as containingImageUploadedByStudent Room1370181585.957891.jpg a double bond :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

that is not an alcohol though. It has an OH Group attacted ..does mean it is an alcohol . But yeah i understnad what the OP meant now :P sorryyy!
yep, so for example hclc=chcl would show e/z

as would ClHC=CClCH3
theres 3 carbons in that example, the double bond is on the first carbon but both carbons are still attached to 2 different atoms/groups of atoms

How is hclc=chcl e/z isomerism as they are the same group of atoms on each carbon? :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by carpe diem 123
Hey, where can I find this list of definitions?

Pg 76 post 1504
How is hclc=chcl e/z isomerism as they are the same group of atoms on each carbon? :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

each carbon has 1 hydrogen and 1 cl atom. definition of e/z is when each carbon is bonded to 2 different atoms.
each carbon has 1 hydrogen and 1 cl atom. definition of e/z is when each carbon is bonded to 2 different atoms.

Ohhh okay, thanks for that :smile: how many exams you got next week then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ohhh okay, thanks for that :smile: how many exams you got next week then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

its alright :smile: i've got 3, 2 on tuesday then 1 on thursday..you?
its alright :smile: i've got 3, 2 on tuesday then 1 on thursday..you?

I have got 2 to tomorrow and then one everyday till Thursday :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have got 2 to tomorrow and then one everyday till Thursday :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah that sucks :frown: what have u got tomorrow?
Reply 1572
Original post by Jonma
Can someone please explain this question?
chem ques.png

Not sure if I'll be good at explaining this: you need to cancel out anything you have on both sides of the equations in the diagrams, then it will be one of the equations in the table so you put in the correspond enthalpy change. So for the bottom equation for example; you have CaCl2 and H2O on both sides so you can cancel them out and you're left with C + O2 --> CO2 which is the top equation in the table so for that oone in the diagram the enthalpy change is -393,, does that make sense? And then you add them up using Hess's law
(edited 10 years ago)
ah that sucks :frown: what have u got tomorrow?

Biology and IT :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1574
Can someone please explain Q3bii on January 2012.
It's the question about enthalpy of formation where they've drawn a cycle and you have to fill in the boxes.
I got the top 3 correct, but I don't get the rest.
Thanks
Reply 1575
Hey could someone possibly explain how to do june 10 question 6 (c)(i)?
Original post by Gotzz
Can someone please explain Q3bii on January 2012.
It's the question about enthalpy of formation where they've drawn a cycle and you have to fill in the boxes.
I got the top 3 correct, but I don't get the rest.
Thanks

if you've got 3 of them correct theres only 1 box left so just use the value you havent used yet?
Hi guys, there a question on the June 2009 Paper namely, 2c (ii) where it asks us to write the state symbols for an equation.
The equation is 6C + 7H2 --> C6H14 (Hexane)
Another piece of information we were given was that Hexane melts at -95 degrees Celsius and boils at 65 degrees Celsius

Now Carbon is a solid in its standard state and hydrogen is a gas but how exactly are we supposed to know that Hexane is a liquid?
Is that just something we should know or am I missing something :s
Reply 1578
Original post by Polypocus
Hi guys, there a question on the June 2009 Paper namely, 2c (ii) where it asks us to write the state symbols for an equation.
Another piece of information we were given was that Hexane melts at -95 degrees Celsius and boils at 65 degrees Celsius

Now Carbon is a solid in its standard state and hydrogen is a gas but how exactly are we supposed to know that Hexane is a liquid?

I'm not sure but I think its because hexane is a component of crude oil which is a liquid?
Original post by Polypocus

standard conditions are 25 degrees right, so if it boils 65, this temperature and above its a gas. it'll melt at -95 and anything above that. ie any value between -95 and 64 (as it boils at 65) therefore at 25degrees it would be melted and therefore a liquid. make sense?

Latest

Trending

Trending