The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 920
Original post by Beni24
What does Polymerase do during Proteinsynthesis?

DNA polymerase enzyme catalyst the condensation reaction between adjacent nucleotides of RNA to form the covalent bond between phosphate and ribose, so creates sugar phosphate backbone.:smile:
Reply 921
PLEASE
difference between globular and fibourous proteins
Differences between the structure of collagen and glucose
:biggrin: please help me
Original post by Beni24
What does Polymerase do during Proteinsynthesis?

RNA Polymerase is used in transcription and catalyses the complementary base pairing between the bases on the DNA and free floating nucleotides
Reply 923
Can someone explain Sympatric speciation for me please?it says behavioural and physical change.. so is that due to mutation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 924
Original post by Sherlockedd
Anyone have a good answer for DNA replication. I get it, but idk how to write it :L

Semi conservative replication

Hydrogen bonds of DNA tertiary structure break double helix un-twists

DNA hydrogen bonds between nitrogenous bases break, DNA unzips

Both strands act as template strands

Free DNA nucleotides hydrogen bond to complementary bases, pyramidines to purines, 3 h bonds in C-G and 2 inA-T

DNA polymerase enzyme catalysed
Condensation reaction to create sugar
Phosphate back bond

Continues down both DNA strands

2 identical strands created watching having half from the original DNA molecule :biggrin:
Reply 925
similarities and differences between
collagen
haemoglobin
starch
amylose
amylopectin
glycogen
cellulose

please help
can someone give me a summary for CITES, Convention on Biological Diversity & EIA please? the book has sooo much context!
What does DNA helicase do?
How do the hydrogen bonds between bases break in transcription and replication?
Does DNA polymerase join the free nucletoides to the existing ones or does it join the sugar-phosphate backbone?
What does RNA polymerase do?
Can someone clear these up for me please :smile:
Reply 928
Original post by t()m
DNA polymerase enzyme catalyst the condensation reaction between adjacent nucleotides of RNA to form the covalent bond between phosphate and ribose, so creates sugar phosphate backbone.:smile:

Okay thank you!! :biggrin:
Original post by cookiess
What paper did you find this question from?

June 2010 :smile:
Original post by Smuu
Domains are Bacteria, Archaea and Eukaryotae. Meanwhile kingdoms are Prokaryotae, Protoctista, Animalia, Plantae and Fungi. Prokaryotes are in the same group in the kingdom classification whereas they are divided into two domains in the domain classification. Eukaryotes are in four different groups in the kingdom classification but are in one domain in the domain classification. Hope that helped:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome, thank you !! :smile:
Original post by Hannah196
can someone give me a summary for CITES, Convention on Biological Diversity & EIA please? the book has sooo much context!

Just learn a couple for each one.
CITES (highly doubt this will come up it was in Jan 2013):

Allow trade in artifically propagated plants

Regulate trade in selected species.

Ensure trade in wild plants is prohibited for commercial purposes.

Rio Convention on Biodiversity ( came up in Jan 2013):

Conserve biodiversity

Share genetic resources

Share scientific knowledge and technologies

Environmental Impact Assessment:

Procedure to assess the effects of a development on the environment

Minimises effects on biodiversity off area

E.g. a new bridge being built would be better in a higher area with more biodiversity, this is because it can withstand change

Original post by Lawlser
I have typed up every single question asked in every past paper except Jan 2013 which the mark scheme answer under it so if anyone wants it just give me a PM with your email and I'll send you them!

Please could u send me them thank u soo much
Reply 933
Original post by Hannah196

The Convention in International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES)
Aims to
Regulate and monitor international trade in selected species of plants and animals
Ensure that international trade does not endanger the survival of populations in
the wild
Ensure that trade in wide plants is prohibited for commercial purposes
Ensure that trade in artificially propagated plants is allowed, subject to permit
Ensure that some, slightly less endangered, wild species may be traded, subject to
a permit, as agreed by the exporting and importing countries

The Rio Convention on Biodiversity;
Aims to
Conserve biological diversity
Use components sustainably
Have appropriate shared access to genetic resources
Have appropriate sharing and transfer of scientific knowledge and technologies
Have fair and equitable sharing of the benefits arising out of the use of genetic
resources
significance of environmental impact assessments:
They are a means of assessing the likely significant environmental impact of a development. The
EIA ensures that the local planning authority makes it decision in the knowledge of any likely
significant effects on the environment. This helps to ensure that the importance of the predicted
effects is properly understood by the public and the planning authority before it makes it decision.

hope this helps
Reply 934
I have never seen a real question on speciation, could someone please explain the difference between allopatric and sympatric? Thanks, Also could someone help me with this question: 'Why are vaccination programmes not always effective?' (4 marks)
What does everyone think about what os going to cum up
I just know there is going to be a QWC 8 marker of in situ and ex situ conservation and if that is the case I might throw a tantrum
Original post by _JC95
I have never seen a real question on speciation, could someone please explain the difference between allopatric and sympatric? Thanks, Also could someone help me with this question: 'Why are vaccination programmes not always effective?' (4 marks)

I'm not really sure- but I'll have a go.

Firstly, not a high enough proportion of the population gets vaccinated (due to ethical reasons or worries about the side effects) so it becomes difficult to eradicate an illness.

Also, many diseases mutate very quickly. This means that the shape of the antigen on their cell surface membrane changes shape so it cannot be recognised by memory cells as the shape is no longer complementary to their receptors, and antibodies are useless i.e. it has become a new strain and the body must produce a primary response again, meaning symptoms could occur as well as death.

I don't know what else to put I'm not sure that would be worth 4 marks.
Original post by GirlWithADream
Can someone answer my question pretty pleasee??
What are the main steps of transcription and translation? (protein synthesis)?
I get it, but I don't exactly know how to word it. Thanks

thats unit 5 :wink: wait til ya get there ;o
Reply 939
State why a doctor wouldn't prescribe antibodies to treat influenza (1 mark)
I'm unsure about this question and it may be really obvious :confused: It's only a small mark but it could make a difference!

Latest

Trending

Trending