The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Missing an offer?

Hey guys!
So basically, Sheffield's my first choice for Law, but I'm scared I might miss the offer. If fact, I'm pretty certain I already have. :I Does anyone know if there's still a chance that I might get in, or does it depend entirely on the University come results day?
It usually depends on the university on results day due to factors like how many other people missed their offers and what grades others are applying with through clearing.
you may get lucky and they still take you :smile: it really does depend on results day

did you also accept an insurance offer?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Original post by at-the-beach
It usually depends on the university on results day due to factors like how many other people missed their offers and what grades others are applying with through clearing.
you may get lucky and they still take you :smile: it really does depend on results day

did you also accept an insurance offer?

Ah, alright! Thank you. I'm so bummed right now. I really hope it works out.
And yeah, I've picked an insurance, but I'm not too keen on that university, hence honestly hoping I get into Sheffield. Hopefully, they won't be oversubscribed this year! Fingers crossed! :l
don't panic too much like I did because that messed up my exams!!

if you get into your insurance and don't want to go there you can be asked to be released into clearing :smile:

good luck :tongue:
Original post by summer-child
Ah, alright! Thank you. I'm so bummed right now. I really hope it works out.
And yeah, I've picked an insurance, but I'm not too keen on that university, hence honestly hoping I get into Sheffield. Hopefully, they won't be oversubscribed this year! Fingers crossed! :l

Have the same worry as you, although I've firmed Law & Crim. From what I was told on the post-offer day, if you firm Sheffield for LLB, they will definitely consider you if you miss your offer. Whether they let you in is of course another matter. Hopefully we'll both meet out offers though & save ourselves from the stress :tongue:
You never know with exams, You might feel you didn't do too well but might have still did very good! its all weighted on the years performance so if it was particularly hard then you wont be as heavily penalised. The best advice i can offer you instead of assuming you've missed the margin is wait for results day and then take it from there.. Yes theres a chance you'll get an offer if you miss your grades (my friend got BBB and got into sheffield to do physics at AAB) but then again law is popular and oversubscribed so theres a chance you might not..

Just be optimistic and wait for your results and im sure ull be pleasantly surprised :smile:
Reply 6
Hiiya so i also have a query ahah, I was rejected from Sheffield because my predicted grades were too low, last year I was a complete nuisance and did not take my AS exams as seriously as I should have, but this year with a few re-sits I have deinately sat up! I was just wondering if any of you think I could possibly be let in for Law and Criminology with BBB, If i talk to a Law admissions member of staff. I had previously spoken to a Mr Ford who was ever so kind on the phone, so maybe I'll be able to get throught to him yet again. What do you think? I really want to go to the University of Sheffield!
Original post by Tomisow
Hiiya so i also have a query ahah, I was rejected from Sheffield because my predicted grades were too low, last year I was a complete nuisance and did not take my AS exams as seriously as I should have, but this year with a few re-sits I have deinately sat up! I was just wondering if any of you think I could possibly be let in for Law and Criminology with BBB, If i talk to a Law admissions member of staff. I had previously spoken to a Mr Ford who was ever so kind on the phone, so maybe I'll be able to get throught to him yet again. What do you think? I really want to go to the University of Sheffield!

Can I just ask, what were your as grades?
Reply 8
CCD :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by Fruscianterules
Can I just ask, what were your as grades?

CCD sadly. But I have done some resits.
Reply 10
Hey guys,
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I've missed my offer like I was convinced I would.
Any idea what I should expect/do, now? I desperately want to attend Sheffield. :frown:
Reply 11
Hey guys,
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I've missed my offer like I was convinced I would.
Any idea what I should expect/do, now? I desperately want to attend Sheffield. :frown:

Im really sorry to hear that. I myself have missed my offer by one IB point, hopefully i can still get in. If i was you, i would contact the university asap and explain to them about your situation. Wish you the best! :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by yalebaby
Im really sorry to hear that. I myself have missed my offer by one IB point, hopefully i can still get in. If i was you, i would contact the university asap and explain to them about your situation. Wish you the best! :smile:

Ah, I'm sorry to hear about yours, too! Hopefully it'll work out - since it's only one point. What have you applied for? :smile:

And yeah, I was thinking about calling them up, but I don't know what to say. Like, how would I be able to explain that I've missed my grades without seeming incompetent even without meaning too? :l
Sorry, I'm a bit of a mess with all of this.

Reply 13

Ah, I'm sorry to hear about yours, too! Hopefully it'll work out - since it's only one point. What have you applied for? :smile:

And yeah, I was thinking about calling them up, but I don't know what to say. Like, how would I be able to explain that I've missed my grades without seeming incompetent even without meaning too? :l
Sorry, I'm a bit of a mess with all of this.

I totally get it, i was a wreck and had no idea what to say, let alone try to convince them that i'm a worthy applicant. I applied for Psychology Bsc, so i was even more worried, knowing that its such a competitive course. When i called them, i briefly described my situation, in terms of my results and offer, and asked them what my course of action should be. The lady was really kind and told me i should detail this in a email . After emailing them and pleading them about how passionate i am about sheffield uni, i finally got a response detailing that my application has been forwarded to the psychology department and i will soon know if i have a placement via UCAS. Not going to lie..it was stressful but i'm glad i contacted them.
Reply 14
I totally get it, i was a wreck and had no idea what to say, let alone try to convince them that i'm a worthy applicant. I applied for Psychology Bsc, so i was even more worried, knowing that its such a competitive course. When i called them, i briefly described my situation, in terms of my results and offer, and asked them what my course of action should be. The lady was really kind and told me i should detail this in a email . After emailing them and pleading them about how passionate i am about sheffield uni, i finally got a response detailing that my application has been forwarded to the psychology department and i will soon know if i have a placement via UCAS. Not going to lie..it was stressful but i'm glad i contacted them.

Thank you so much! :hugs:
I hope it works out for you! I'll definitely try contacting them now. I was just really worried about what to say, but I'll try doing what you did! Hopefully, we'll both get a place in our courses! :smile:
Reply 15

If you don't mind me asking, what happened when you sent the Psychology department an email? I'm worried about missing my offer for UoS :frown:
Hey guys!
So basically, Sheffield's my first choice for Law, but I'm scared I might miss the offer. If fact, I'm pretty certain I already have. :I Does anyone know if there's still a chance that I might get in, or does it depend entirely on the University come results day?

Judging by the pre registration for clearing and adjustment, I'd say the chances of you getting in even if you miss your offer are fairly high. I managed to get into a fairly competitive course (imo) without meeting some of the requirements. However, that might've been the case because I already had my grades (did the IB) a week before A-level students, so I'm not directly competing with them.
Reply 17
Original post by 747-400
If you don't mind me asking, what happened when you sent the Psychology department an email? I'm worried about missing my offer for UoS :frown:

Honestly not much happened, they just sent a email back saying they received my results and the course selector will be reviewing it and that i will know their decision through UCAS. Its been a month now and i haven't heard a thing or updates:bawling:, i'm assuming because they are waiting for all a-level results to come out and make a decision then. if u do miss your offer there is still hope, the university will still consider u priority over applicants who have entered clearing- thats assuming if you haven't missed your offer by far. Hope all goes well with ur results!! :smile:
Reply 18
Honestly not much happened, they just sent a email back saying they received my results and the course selector will be reviewing it and that i will know their decision through UCAS. Its been a month now and i haven't heard a thing or updates:bawling:, i'm assuming because they are waiting for all a-level results to come out and make a decision then. if u do miss your offer there is still hope, the university will still consider u priority over applicants who have entered clearing- thats assuming if you haven't missed your offer by far. Hope all goes well with ur results!! :smile:

Well I hope you receive some really good news this week and you end up as a Sheffield student! I know, I really hope I don't miss it, would love so much to go there. Praying my course is under-subscribed too. Thank you so much, I hope you hear back soon with the news you're wanting!
To add onto the original question, if you applied to an MEng program with an offer of AAB and got ABB, which is required for the BEng program, would you be admitted as you choose which one you do later on anyway?

Quick Reply

Latest