The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

How likely is it that xerophytes comes up do you think? Because it came up in the empa 3 so that should mean not very likely right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If there's a question on how water gets from the root hair cells to the xylem do we talk about apoplastic and symplastic pathways and root pressure?
how accurately should you give an answer to a calculation if it doesn't specify?
Reply 2303
is the apoplastic pathway just cohesive tension pulling the water up the cell walls of the root cortex cells?
You know when water moves through the root cortex.. is it diffusion or osmosis? Everywhere seems to say osmosis but i'm sure we were told diffusion because it never actually crosses a cell membrane so cant be classed as osmosis?
Reply 2305
Original post by JulianaHiguera
How likely is it that xerophytes comes up do you think? Because it came up in the empa 3 so that should mean not very likely right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

not likely but then again it's pretty straight forward to remember
why do mineral ions move by active transport into the xylem and not by diffusion?
Original post by Hi, How are you ?
I think so, in some question I v'e done they talked about the fluid moving into the tissue to reduce the diffusion pathway, I think. So technically yes I suppose. Our teachers haven't talked about it either.

Okay thanks
Original post by blondie24
I think there is but right at the end of the tracheoles but i don't think we need to specifically know about the fluid. I think the respiratory gases diffuse from the tracheoles in to the fluid and then into respiring cells

right okay thanks,
Original post by philippawright
You know when water moves through the root cortex.. is it diffusion or osmosis? Everywhere seems to say osmosis but i'm sure we were told diffusion because it never actually crosses a cell membrane so cant be classed as osmosis?

If it moves by the apoplast pathway it moves by diffusion. (through the cell wall)

If it moves by the symplast pathway it moves by osmosis. (Across the cell wall)
Reply 2310
There's a question in June 2011 that states "Describe how tissue fluid is returned to the circulatory system"

The mark scheme states: "Hydrostatic pressure is lower in capillary, and WATER returns by osmosis"

How comes it mentions water rather than tissue fluid?
Original post by zbert
is the apoplastic pathway just cohesive tension pulling the water up the cell walls of the root cortex cells?

The apoplastic pathway is the diffusion of water vapour from an area of high concentration to an area of lower concentration :smile:

Osmosis IS the diffusion of water

Posted from TSR Mobile

The symplastic pathway is the movement of water molecules and is therefore osmosis, I think :smile:
Original post by lorobolorolo
why do mineral ions move by active transport into the xylem and not by diffusion?

They are moving against a concentration gradient :smile:
Original post by Bixel
There's a question in June 2011 that states "Describe how tissue fluid is returned to the circulatory system"

The mark scheme states: "Hydrostatic pressure is lower in capillary, and WATER returns by osmosis"

How comes it mentions water rather than tissue fluid?

Tissue fluid is made up of water and certain things dissolved in it such as salts, amino acids etc.

Therefore it's better to mention water returns rather than tissue fluid returns because tissue fluid does not technically move by osmosis. :smile:
Original post by eilish1903
Osmosis IS the diffusion of water

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah but i'm sure we were told even if it is water, if it doesnt cross a partially permeable membrane it cant be counted as osmosis, its just diffusion? aahhh so confused!
If there's a question on how water gets from the root hair cells to the xylem do we talk about apoplastic and symplastic pathways and root pressure?
Reply 2318
Original post by HannahC1996
The apoplastic pathway is the diffusion of water vapour from an area of high concentration to an area of lower concentration :smile:

The textbook talks about cohesion of water molecules creates a tension that draws water along the cell walls. Whats that about? :confused:
Do you think antibiotic/ resistance will come up

Latest

Trending

Trending