The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 960
what do we need to know about the immune response
Reply 961
I just did January 2011's paper and one of the questions said 'Other than biochemical evidence, what can taxonomists use to group organisms?'
So my answers were morphology (anatomy) and behaviour
But in the mark scheme it grouped anatomy and behaviour into one marking point.
Does anyone have any idea of their reasoning behind this, when other years they were separate marking points?

:confused::confused:
Reply 962
Original post by rival_
Yeah urm you know the Rio conventions?

Rio convention on biodiversity:

Aims: converse biological biodiversity
Share access to genetic resources
Share technologies and scientific knowledge
Share benefits from genetic resources equally
Reply 963
Original post by SamuelJ
I just did January 2011's paper and one of the questions said 'Other than biochemical evidence, what can taxonomists use to group organisms?'
Does anyone have any idea of their reasoning behind this, when other years they were separate marking points?

That was exactly what happend when I did that paper. I guess we just need to keep that in mind and write more than two answers for insurance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 964
Original post by SamuelJ

Always safe to write a load of them so
Anatomy
Biochemistry
Genetics
Embryology
Physiology
Behavioural
Original post by t()m
DNA polymerase enzyme catalyst the condensation reaction between adjacent nucleotides of RNA to form the covalent bond between phosphate and ribose, so creates sugar phosphate backbone.:smile:

I thought it 'unzipped' the DNA in readyness for translation? :confused:
Who else prefers it when the questions don't ask for a specific number of answers and just have e.g. (3) next to it, I write like 5 points just in case, hoping at least 3 are on the mark scheme. But when they ask for 3 points in the question and you know they're going to ignore any other answers beyond that, you kinda just have to rely on the mark scheme to say what you want it to say :|
Reply 967
Original post by g.k.galloway
I thought it 'unzipped' the DNA in readyness for translation? :confused:

Is that not DNA helixase ... On pass papers MS It only mentions DNA polymerase see paper may 2011 q7 and the marscheme point 9 says so.
Reply 968
similarities and differences between collagen and haemoglobin
anyone please?
Original post by t()m
Is that not DNA helixase ... On pass papers MS It only mentions DNA polymerase see paper may 2011 q7 and the marscheme point 9 says so.

Well I've always seen DNA polymerase as moving along the DNA molecule and exposing the part wanted for the free RNA nucleotides to join onto.
images.jpeg

I might be wrong though...That's just what I've always thought!
I really hope that conservation doesn't come up as a long question. I know nothing about it. Everything else I'm fine with - but knowing my luck, conservation probably WILL come up tomorrow.
anyone else just get stressed and cant remember anything but then you cant stop revising because what if you stop and then it turned out you didnt know anything in the first place :l
Reply 972
Well I've always seen DNA polymerase as moving along the DNA molecule and exposing the part wanted for the free RNA nucleotides to join onto.
images.jpeg

I might be wrong though...That's just what I've always thought!

Well It probable involved in both do you or anybody else on here know of pass paper question on protein synthesis ??
Original post by sharifma
anyone please?

Similarities
- both proteins with amino acid monomers
- Both quarternary structure
- Both have H bonds in their structure

Differences
- Haemoglobin contains 4 polypeptide subunits (2 alpha, 2 beta), collagen only has 3
- Collagen is fibrous, Hb is globular (so collagen is helical but Hb is a ball shape)
- haemoglobin has a haem group (fe2+)
- Hb is soluble, cellulose insoluble
- Collagen has cross links
- Hb contains a wide range of amino acids but collagen is predominantly glycine
- Collagen does not really have a tertiary structure with all the bonds, it kind of skips that step. It's quartenary as it contains more than 1 polypeptide chain :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by t()m
Well It probable involved in both do you or anybody else on here know of pass paper question on protein synthesis ??

It must have loads of functions :smile:

tbh I think it's one of those really detailed things that we don't really need to know about, they just tell us it exists :biggrin: I hate it when they do that but hey :cool:
Original post by sharifma
anyone please?

Similarities:
Both have Quaternary structure (more than one polypeptide chain)
Both have polypeptide chains
Both made of amino acids
Both have hydrogen bonds
Both have peptide bonds

Erm, my similarities aren't that great..

Differences:
Haemoglobin has a prosthetic group, collagen doesn't
Haemoglobin soluble, collagen isn't
Haemoglobin globular, collagen fibrous
Haemoglobin 4 polypeptide chains, collagen 3
Haemoglobin found in blood, collagen structural and found in blood vessel walls
Reply 976
similarities and differences between please
glycogen
starch, cellulose
amylopectin and amylose
anyone please?
Reply 977
Original post by t()m

Jan 2013 has a tricky one quite early on.
Reply 978
Original post by coco_madem0iselle
Similarities:
Both have Quaternary structure (more than one polypeptide chain)
Both have polypeptide chains
Both made of amino acids
Both have hydrogen bonds
Both have peptide bonds

Erm, my similarities aren't that great..

Differences:
Haemoglobin has a prosthetic group, collagen doesn't
Haemoglobin soluble, collagen isn't
Haemoglobin globular, collagen fibrous
Haemoglobin 4 polypeptide chains, collagen 3
Haemoglobin found in blood, collagen structural and found in blood vessel walls

thanks
It must have loads of functions :smile:

tbh I think it's one of those really detailed things that we don't really need to know about, they just tell us it exists :biggrin: I hate it when they do that but hey :cool:

How I learnt it was DNA helicase (don't think we need to know that specifically) catalyses unzipping of DNA strands and breakage of hydrogen bonds.
blah blah blah (haha)
Then DNA polymerase catalyses linkage of hydrogen bonds and then the sugar phosphate backbone reforms with phosphodiester bonds.

I think just mentioning DNA polymerase and the hydrogen bonds/sugar phosphate backbone reforming gets you a mark.

Latest

Trending

Trending