The Student Room Group

2013 AQA History 3G British State and the People 1865-1915

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any predictions for the AQA History course 3G for June 2013?
My teacher has said Economy and maybe the Eastern questions

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

I'm not sure the Economy will turn up. There was a Great Depression question last year, so with it being a relatively new specification they may not repeat themes just yet. Eastern Question could do, and it would be quite nice. Other than that, no idea. Something on success in Ireland, possibly.
Reply 2
Ireland has come up 3 years running
Original post by LydiaIshy
Ireland has come up 3 years running

do you think there's a chance they'll put ireland in again then ?
Original post by LydiaIshy
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any predictions for the AQA History course 3G for June 2013?
My teacher has said Economy and maybe the Eastern questions

Thanks

Also by the eastern question, do you just mean how Disraeli dealt with the near east crisis, or throughout the whole period extending over to Salisbury ?
I think Ireland will come up again, possibly early Gladstone. The way the exam seems to be, there's one depth question, one breadth question and an Ireland question.

Eastern Question, I think they could ask something like 'How successfully did Disraeli deal with the Eastern Question', ie talking about Russia, Turkey, San Stefano etc. I think another possibility could be why the Liberals passed their social reforms in the 20th century, or why they had such a landslide in 1906.
Reply 6
Out of interest do you think an Irish question on the development of the home rule movement is possible? There is a section on it in the book, but it seems a bit more like an AS level type question.

A question on why the liberal won in 1906 would also be really nice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Chris17
Out of interest do you think an Irish question on the development of the home rule movement is possible? There is a section on it in the book, but it seems a bit more like an AS level type question.

A question on why the liberal won in 1906 would also be really nice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i agree why the liberals won would be wonderful. I would talk about chinese slavery, tariff reform, education act, taff vale and liberal opposition.
Original post by Grauniad
I think Ireland will come up again, possibly early Gladstone. The way the exam seems to be, there's one depth question, one breadth question and an Ireland question.

Eastern Question, I think they could ask something like 'How successfully did Disraeli deal with the Eastern Question', ie talking about Russia, Turkey, San Stefano etc. I think another possibility could be why the Liberals passed their social reforms in the 20th century, or why they had such a landslide in 1906.

But is there enough to write about with Disraeli and the eastern question ? I did one as practice last month and after a while i got lost on what to write
Original post by Roshniroxy
But is there enough to write about with Disraeli and the eastern question ? I did one as practice last month and after a while i got lost on what to write

Hmm. Good point. I suppose you'd just have to draw loads of different viewpoints: from an imperial perspective, balance of power, public perception, long-term/short-terms results etc.

A slightly broader aspect of the Eastern Question would probably make more sense, but from a personal perspective I hope it doesn't come up like that as we were only really taught about Disraeli's angle.
Hmm. Good point. I suppose you'd just have to draw loads of different viewpoints: from an imperial perspective, balance of power, public perception, long-term/short-terms results etc.

A slightly broader aspect of the Eastern Question would probably make more sense, but from a personal perspective I hope it doesn't come up like that as we were only really taught about Disraeli's angle.

a broader one would be a killer and it is very possible as their was much happening over the 50 years with turkey which is annoying :frown: I wouldn't mind something like Germany or even Russia.

Out of curiosity if a question on why the liberals had a landslide victory in 1906 what would you say is the most important factor ? I was thinking Balfour's failure of tariff reform ?

Out of curiosity if a question on why the liberals had a landslide victory in 1906 what would you say is the most important factor ? I was thinking Balfour's failure of tariff reform ?

In my opinion, it wasn't so much that he didn't reform tariffs, but the process in which he failed to do so. His poor leadership worsened the situation, which in turn made him look even more of a bad leader. The two factors, along with Joseph Chamberlain being a bit of a d**k, undermined the credibility of the Conservative party and split it. This was made worse by the Chinese Slavery, the Boer War the Education Act and a lack of TU reform.

However, as much needs to be said of the Liberals as the Conservatives. You could comment on Labour's still relatively small position, meaning the Liberals were still most of working class voters' first choice.

But overall, yeah, I'd say the tariff/free trade debate hurt the Tories the most, but it was worsened by other factors.
In my opinion, it wasn't so much that he didn't reform tariffs, but the process in which he failed to do so. His poor leadership worsened the situation, which in turn made him look even more of a bad leader. The two factors, along with Joseph Chamberlain being a bit of a d**k, undermined the credibility of the Conservative party and split it. This was made worse by the Chinese Slavery, the Boer War the Education Act and a lack of TU reform.

However, as much needs to be said of the Liberals as the Conservatives. You could comment on Labour's still relatively small position, meaning the Liberals were still most of working class voters' first choice.

But overall, yeah, I'd say the tariff/free trade debate hurt the Tories the most, but it was worsened by other factors.

Awesome, I have to link all my factors to my main argument factor so i suppose i would go about talking about balfour's inability to resolve tariff reform, blame education on him, liberal opposition became stronger as he was didn't reverse taff vale, the only thing i can't really link him back to is chinese slavery :s
the only thing i can't really link him back to is chinese slavery :s

I suppose that's helpful in a way; shows balance, as it shows you're considering factors other than Balfour. Just blame it on the conservative party en masse.
I suppose that's helpful in a way; shows balance, as it shows you're considering factors other than Balfour. Just blame it on the conservative party en masse.

Thanks ! What are you aiming for in this exam ?
Reply 15
My teacher told us they generally divide the questions between a domestic problem, foreign policy and Ireland. I can confidently say Ireland will show up, but the real problem is the domestic question. My thinking is that it's going to be a Labour question, as it is such an integral part of what we're studying but it hasn't shown up properly yet. Other than that, I'd say foreign policy won't have anything to do with the 1st World War as that was on the specimen paper for this year. My best bet is it'll be about the 2nd Boer War.

Good luck!
Thanks ! What are you aiming for in this exam ?

Depends on my ego. I need A*AA to get into Cambridge out of History, Politics and English Language. The A* is most likely to be in English, but being a prideful little turd I'd quite like as many as possible. Such is the way of awarding the A*, and due to average coursework, I need around 114 UMS in this exam to get it, but from a fairly good AS I only need a low 70 UMS out of 120 to get an A. God bless AQA.

So yeah, A minimum (which is in effect a C in this exam), A* as top goal.
Yourself?
Original post by OhMyAbdil
My teacher told us they generally divide the questions between a domestic problem, foreign policy and Ireland. I can confidently say Ireland will show up, but the real problem is the domestic question. My thinking is that it's going to be a Labour question, as it is such an integral part of what we're studying but it hasn't shown up properly yet. Other than that, I'd say foreign policy won't have anything to do with the 1st World War as that was on the specimen paper for this year. My best bet is it'll be about the 2nd Boer War.

Good luck!

Labour would be nice. I thought Boer War would be nice, but then I realised that they'd probably ask for causes or repercussions. I know a fair bit about it as a whole, but not enough for one angle of a question worth 45 marks. WW1 would be horrible and I was dreading it, but your logic makes sense and I may yet sleep tonight without fretting. Too much.
Depends on my ego. I need A*AA to get into Cambridge out of History, Politics and English Language. The A* is most likely to be in English, but being a prideful little turd I'd quite like as many as possible. Such is the way of awarding the A*, and due to average coursework, I need around 114 UMS in this exam to get it, but from a fairly good AS I only need a low 70 UMS out of 120 to get an A. God bless AQA.

So yeah, A minimum (which is in effect a C in this exam), A* as top goal.
Yourself?

A*AA for UCL Law :/ A* most likely to be in English Lit out of history, english and chemistry however i'd like to be able to cover all my bases and aim for an A* in history too. Although currently i have no faith in my abilities in english or any subject for that matter of fact. Gosh i feel like puking.

How do i work out what i need :s
A*AA for UCL Law :/ A* most likely to be in English Lit out of history, english and chemistry however i'd like to be able to cover all my bases and aim for an A* in history too. Although currently i have no faith in my abilities in english or any subject for that matter of fact. Gosh i feel like puking.

How do i work out what i need :s

Yeah, I've had a little confidence knock this year. Distinctly average history coursework and politics exam in january (which is a bummer, as I'm doing a History and Politics degree...) and I've got into this mindset that I can't write sustained essays.

A/A* is a little complicated. To get an A, you need 80% UMS across the whole A Level, so AS plus A2. To get an A*, you need 80% average across the whole A Level, but with a 90% average in A2. So essentially, any mark above 80% in your AS doesn't contribute towards getting an A*, but it does make getting an A easier overall. Again, gotta love AQA and their simple systems.

The really stupid thing about it is this: Candidate A could get (in an A-Level comprising 4 100 UMS exams, for the sake of simplicity) in AS, 100 out of 100 UMS twice, then get 90 and 89 at A2. That's 379 out of 400 but an A. Candidate B could get, at AS, 70 out of 100 twice, then 90 out of 100 twice at A2. 320 UMS, but an A*. Bizarre and unlikely, but theoretically possible.

I do not like AQA.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending