The Student Room Group

A2 Economics - F585 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by paramountor
Thoughts at the moment on the most likely essay question?

Discuss the extent to which sustainable development indicators are useful for measuring development in Estonia.

I think it's been agreed by most that it will be on some form of sustainable development question.
Original post by MalteseMalteser
Discuss the extent to which sustainable development indicators are useful for measuring development in Estonia.

I think it's been agreed by most that it will be on some form of sustainable development question.

what would you say for this one though...?
Reply 402
Original post by Gilchrist_Compass
Could any help with this question?
'Discuss the extent to which high rates of economic growth will deliver sustainable development.'
Cheers guys

Posted from TSR Mobile

High levels of growth means higher output which leads to increased employment and income, more income will mean individuals can satisfy their needs and want increasing their standards of living which is development but may not be sustainable as high rates of growth causes pollution and can lead to income inequality

depends if the resources used to attain growth are renewable or not
Original post by bluestar333

Sustainable Estonia 21 - 78 indicators which pinpoints where development can be, so it is very detailed. However, it could be seen as too complicated. Plus, even though Estonia want a viable cultural space, which they can get through teaching Estonians the traditional Estonian way of living and giving them an identity, it could stop the Russian immigrants feeling welcome and could therefore cause tension, counteracting the cultural space.

Then possibly link it to benefits of HDI and ISEW - I wrote about the pros and cons of each a few pages back and put it on the F585 Resources thread too
Reply 404
Original post by bluestar333

uses
-it is useful as you can have inter and intra country comparisons
-can benchmark against best performing countries and adopt policies similar to them
-measures effectiveness of policies used to promote sustainable development
- it can put pressure on worst performing states to do better

limitations
-uses resources to measure sustainable development instead of using them to promote it (opportunity cost) uses 78 indicators
Reply 405
Could someone send me the revision guide of this exam if have one please

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 406
Has anyone done any plans for the possible essays they have done? I can email them back 21 pages of typed questions i have done. (A/A* pupil)
Reply 407
Original post by mrsmeagol
thats true but in a boom, if interest rates are low then it would be inflationary so interest rates are usually increased to reduce the inflationary pressure, and in a recession interest rates are set low to encourage consumption (like we are in a recession now in the UK and the rates are at at 0.5% to encourage borrowing and spending)

In a boom period they would increase interest rates. In order to discourage spending in case of over heating?
Reply 408
Original post by Leake95
In a boom period they would increase interest rates. In order to discourage spending in case of over heating?

Correct
If something like 'Discuss the extent to which Estonia has achieved/is progressing towards its sustainable development goals' or whatever comes up I will not be impressed. :tongue:
Reply 410
-depends on the current state of the euro (euro crisis n all) should join when the euro is in a better position

thanks
Reply 411
no, unless the question asks about single currency

ok thanks, and if they said advantages of eu?
or if they said advantages of euro?
Reply 412
how does high rates of economic growth help SUSTAINABLE development
Reply 413
Original post by Student8
ok thanks, and if they said advantages of eu?
or if they said advantages of euro?

if its talking about EU then its ads/disads of single market

if its talking about Euro then its ads/disads of single currency
If any one has any good, solid essay plans, such as:
"Discuss the extent to which sustainable development indicators are useful for measuring development in Estonia"
I can send you my essay "Discuss whether Estonia is likely to achieve sustainable development in the future" for which I got 20/20.

Thanks
Reply 415
if its talking about EU then its ads/disads of single market

if its talking about Euro then its ads/disads of single currency

perfect thank you
Reply 416
Original post by ChoccyWoccy
If something like 'Discuss the extent to which Estonia has achieved/is progressing towards its sustainable development goals' or whatever comes up I will not be impressed. :tongue:

Someone on here came up with this essay plan for that essay, you may find it useful 20 Mark Plan.docx
Reply 417
"Discuss the extent to which sustainable development indicators are useful for measuring development in Estonia"
I can send you my essay "Discuss whether Estonia is likely to achieve sustainable development in the future" for which I got 20/20.

Thanks

Sounds like a deal!

[email protected]
Reply 418

Thanks

Someone posted this a couple pages back i think its useful Sustainable Development Indicators Pros and Cons.odt

(not my work)
Someone on here came up with this essay plan for that essay, you may find it useful 20 Mark Plan.docx

I just think there's little scope for analysis in an essay like that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending