The Student Room Group

AQA GCE Geography Unit 3- 7th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emah123
oh no! i hate this topic so much!!! what kind of stuff do you need to talk about in this type of question?

Original post by dawg
Yeah same here, ermm just about an example of a city's attempt to redevelop it's CBD to try and compete with out of town retailing.

Why would you hate that? I thought it'd be quite easily.. Manchester city centre / Trafford Centre / Development of out of town retail centres / How the city centres have responded
Reply 1481
What questions/topics came up in the World Cities section of the January 13 paper please?
Reply 1482
Anyone got any predictions for questions on ecosystems, tectonics, conflict and D&G based on past papers?
Original post by liabhimani
out of interest what's everyone's favourite topic? :P I personally really like Conflict and aspects of World Cities! But tectonics...:angry:

I love conflicts & challenges, definitely want to get into that kind of thing when I'm older. Also love tectonics, could see myself getting into volcano management too. Cities, blearghhhhh :tongue: No way am I touching urban decline in the future!

Woo Oracle! That's my local shopping centre.
Not sure if this has been asked before- apologise if it has, but I am really struggling with the structure of the 40 mark essay :frown: How many points/ paragraphs should you make ( I know its not quantity over quality but just on average). Also in the mark scheme for evaluation it says 'ability to understand the roles of values, attitudes' what does this mean? and how could you incorporate it into your answer?
Thanks! and Goodluck with the cramming :smile:
Original post by daniela123
Not sure if this has been asked before- apologise if it has, but I am really struggling with the structure of the 40 mark essay :frown: How many points/ paragraphs should you make ( I know its not quantity over quality but just on average). Also in the mark scheme for evaluation it says 'ability to understand the roles of values, attitudes' what does this mean? and how could you incorporate it into your answer?
Thanks! and Goodluck with the cramming :smile:

It honestly depends on the essay title. It's much better to make a few really detailed points rather than lots of scattered paragraphs, that way you are able to properly 'understand the roles of attitudes and values'. Make sure you cover a range of scales (time scale, small-large scale, SEEP etc.) if your questions leads you down that route. I think about 4 pages is about average for an essay, depending on your handwriting.
Original post by St. Brynjar
It honestly depends on the essay title. It's much better to make a few really detailed points rather than lots of scattered paragraphs, that way you are able to properly 'understand the roles of attitudes and values'. Make sure you cover a range of scales (time scale, small-large scale, SEEP etc.) if your questions leads you down that route. I think about 4 pages is about average for an essay, depending on your handwriting.

OK thank you for your reply, but what is SEEP?
Original post by daniela123
OK thank you for your reply, but what is SEEP?

Social, economic, environmental, political
Reply 1488

Ahh nice one mate! Just what I was looking for.
Social, economic, environmental, political

or SPEED (social, political, environmental, economic, demographic) :rolleyes:

We got told spend an hour, always plan & do it first carries most marks!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by LauraEmilyT
We got told spend an hour, always plan & do it first carries most marks!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Yeah I've been told similar things, examiners reports often say that it's obvious people leave it till last and rush, and lose a lot of marks. Although I definitely prefer building up to the big questions in the exam, I might do a structured first, then essay, then structured.
Reply 1492
If you think about it, the structured be combined is worth more than the essay :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I've been told similar things, examiners reports often say that it's obvious people leave it till last and rush, and lose a lot of marks. Although I definitely prefer building up to the big questions in the exam, I might do a structured first, then essay, then structured.

That is exactly the way I am approaching the exam! One structured will hopefully set me in into essay mode

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1494
SSE for me

find it really difficult to write four pages on some of the topics :frown:
Original post by GLOB
Could someone explain how earthquakes and volcanoes occur at constructive margins? Oh and rift valleys! :s

Posted from TSR Mobile

earthquakes: when the plates diverge, pressure falls, semi molten mantle melts; magma. this reduced pressure allows it to rise. when it rise through cracks/fissures in the crust, it causes an earthquake. rifting also causes earthquakes. also plates dont move apart in a uniform way; pressure can build up and when it becomes too great, the plate fractures forming a fault line and causing a quake.
volcanoes: as the mantle is under pressure, this pressure is released when the plates diverge, and the semi molten mantle melts into magma; less dense than the mantle so therefore rises. as the plates move apart; giant fractures occur and magma gets forced up through the fracture and erupts.
rift valleys: continental/continental spreading; crust heats up and forms a dome due to the rising convection currents. the updoming causes fractures. as each side of the rift moves apart, the parallel fractures widen and central section of crust drops down = rift valley.
Original post by Axion
SSE for me

find it really difficult to write four pages on some of the topics :frown:

woooooow youre from warwick where I'll be in a few months! LOL
I love conflicts & challenges, definitely want to get into that kind of thing when I'm older. Also love tectonics, could see myself getting into volcano management too. Cities, blearghhhhh :tongue: No way am I touching urban decline in the future!

you could be a volcanologist in an LEDC that's battling conflict over the local resource lols tectonics is way too sciencey!
Original post by Axion
anyone got exams on tuesday, wednesday or thursday?

I have sociology on Wednesday which I'm a little nervous about... However, for geography, I feel like I'm gunna explode with nerves

Posted from TSR Mobile
is anyone else dreading this exam? im so nervous for it, so much to remember and not a lot of time left, and i have an exam wednesday too :frown:
any predictions for essays? one of my teachers suggested NIC's for development and globalisation essay, but they wouldnt predict anything else
is anyone doing weather and climate? i'm struggling for case studies on that one

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending