The Student Room Group

AQA HIS3K - Triumph and Collapse: Russia and the USSR 1941-1991. 03/06/13

Is anybody doing this exam? :eek: I feel like there's an unlimited amount of content, no idea how I'm going to keep with revising everything, I started very early and I'm only up to making notes on Khrushchev so far. :hmmmm2: Not many people seem to do this module either!

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing this module too and am at about the same stage of revision as you :eek:
Reply 2
Original post by arnoob
I'm doing this module too and am at about the same stage of revision as you :eek:

How are you finding it? It worries me that not a lot of people do the module, but I suppose that could be a good thing in that the grade boundaries might not be quite as high.
Original post by jool
How are you finding it? It worries me that not a lot of people do the module, but I suppose that could be a good thing in that the grade boundaries might not be quite as high.

I agree with you in terms of content, there is sooooo much to learns :sigh: I also have a HIS2L re-sit which is Stalins leadership from 1924-41, there is a lot of overlapping content which doesn't help at all :s-smilie: I doubt the grade boundaries will be affected due to fewer people taking the exam :K:
Reply 4
Hello :smile:
I am doing this exam on Monday....have a feeling the breadth question will be on nationalism :/

what are the questions that they could ask us on Gorbachev? I can't really think of what they could as us....accept that he wasn't committed to radical reform and that caused the USSR to break up. What do you think the questions will be?
Reply 5
Original post by rosie66
Hello :smile:
I am doing this exam on Monday....have a feeling the breadth question will be on nationalism :/

what are the questions that they could ask us on Gorbachev? I can't really think of what they could as us....accept that he wasn't committed to radical reform and that caused the USSR to break up. What do you think the questions will be?

I wouldn't particularly mind a breadth on nationalism, and I think that is pretty much it for Gorbachev, maybe something on the economy? I'm not sure, I don't feel very prepared at all for this exam! :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by jool
I wouldn't particularly mind a breadth on nationalism, and I think that is pretty much it for Gorbachev, maybe something on the economy? I'm not sure, I don't feel very prepared at all for this exam! :frown:

yeah I could do with another week to be much more confident. I wish that I had sat it last year; they seemed like okay questions. I am just trying to write answers to all the questions that i think could come up in the hope that one of them does. How are you preparing?
Reply 7
Original post by rosie66
yeah I could do with another week to be much more confident. I wish that I had sat it last year; they seemed like okay questions. I am just trying to write answers to all the questions that i think could come up in the hope that one of them does. How are you preparing?

Last year's questions were great, I bet we get terrible ones now. :mad: I'm just copying notes out really, I've got my essay structures down to a tee and I know the various interpretations and general themes, it's more knowing the specific figures for i.e. economic growth that worries me, there's so many.
Reply 8
Original post by jool
Last year's questions were great, I bet we get terrible ones now. :mad: I'm just copying notes out really, I've got my essay structures down to a tee and I know the various interpretations and general themes, it's more knowing the specific figures for i.e. economic growth that worries me, there's so many.

If it is only the figures that you are worried about then you sound like you are very prepared for Monday. I am still trying to get all the interpretations to stick in my head :/
Reply 9
I'm doing this exam too, I'm very worried about it :frown: There's so much to learn. I find Gorbachev probably the most difficult of all the leaders. Also, could anyone briefly explain the difference between Satellite states, republics and the Baltic states? I'm getting so confused over all of them? Thank you :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by rosie66
If it is only the figures that you are worried about then you sound like you are very prepared for Monday. I am still trying to get all the interpretations to stick in my head :/

There are the odd topics I'm not very confident on like dissidence but a lot of them are common sense, in reality pretend you're a historian yourself, what side would you take on the topic and what evidence supports that? What would an opponent say and what evidence would they use? Which side would a third party think is most convincing given the evidence?

Original post by May29
I'm doing this exam too, I'm very worried about it :frown: There's so much to learn. I find Gorbachev probably the most difficult of all the leaders. Also, could anyone briefly explain the difference between Satellite states, republics and the Baltic states? I'm getting so confused over all of them? Thank you :smile:

I don't understand the differences either, I'm going to just refer to them as the 'various nationalities' I think and mention the specific country names when necessary. :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by jool
There are the odd topics I'm not very confident on like dissidence but a lot of them are common sense, in reality pretend you're a historian yourself, what side would you take on the topic and what evidence supports that? What would an opponent say and what evident would they use? Which side would a third party think is most convincing given the evidence?

I don't understand the differences either, I'm going to just refer to them as the 'various nationalities' I think and mention the specific country names when necessary. :frown:

that is a good way to put it. thanks!

also the baltic states are part of the republics and so members of the USSR; however they were only taken over by the USSR during the great patriotic war and so they have a stronger sense of nationalism because they can remember their own national identities.

there are 14 republics including russia itself, but the power of the USSR is situated in Moscow so it is the most dominant republic.

then there is the eastern bloc, which aren't directly control by Moscow, but they have communist governments. they are all in the Warsaw Pact, and for example Hungary 1956; when they wanted to leave the Warsaw pact and to introduce more reforms, Moscow wouldn't let them. so you can almost look at the eastern bloc governments as puppet governments controlled by Moscow
Reply 12
Original post by rosie66
that is a good way to put it. thanks!

also the baltic states are part of the republics and so members of the USSR; however they were only taken over by the USSR during the great patriotic war and so they have a stronger sense of nationalism because they can remember their own national identities.

there are 14 republics including russia itself, but the power of the USSR is situated in Moscow so it is the most dominant republic.

then there is the eastern bloc, which aren't directly control by Moscow, but they have communist governments. they are all in the Warsaw Pact, and for example Hungary 1956; when they wanted to leave the Warsaw pact and to introduce more reforms, Moscow wouldn't let them. so you can almost look at the eastern bloc governments as puppet governments controlled by Moscow

Thank you! That's very helpful :smile: So is the Eastern bloc part of the Satellite states? Sorry for all the questions!
Reply 13
Original post by May29
Thank you! That's very helpful :smile: So is the Eastern bloc part of the Satellite states? Sorry for all the questions!

yeah....so the eastern bloc has a few different names but they all mean the same thing

they can be called the satellite states, the buffer zone, the iron curtain (mostly in the west) or the eastern bloc :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by rosie66
yeah....so the eastern bloc has a few different names but they all mean the same thing

they can be called the satellite states, the buffer zone, the iron curtain (mostly in the west) or the eastern bloc :smile:

Thank you!! Can't believe it's tomorrow, it's crept up so quickly, although it'll be good when it's over. :smile:
Reply 15
Can't wait to spout all my bullcrap in a blind panic tomorrow when I realise I haven't done enough revision. I'm woeful with figures, dates and interpretations, so i'm just going to pass of "from a western perspective...." Ahhhhh the fear. A nice political Gorbachev question would be a dream, along with a economic synoptic question. One can dream...
Reply 16
Original post by Saint Matt
Can't wait to spout all my bullcrap in a blind panic tomorrow when I realise I haven't done enough revision. I'm woeful with figures, dates and interpretations, so i'm just going to pass of "from a western perspective...." Ahhhhh the fear. A nice political Gorbachev question would be a dream, along with a economic synoptic question. One can dream...

The examiner's reporters actually advise against the whole 'A western perspective..', 'A soviet interpretation..' etc. as it assumes that all western/soviet etc. historians think the same which of course they don't, best just to have 'One interpretation..', 'An opposing/contrasting/differing interpretation..' etc. :smile:

Good luck everybody! :smile:
How did everyone find this? I did questions 1 and 3 but wish I had done question 2 instead of 3. I found the exam reasonably hard, particularly the wording of question 1 :s-smilie:
Reply 18
Original post by arnoob
How did everyone find this? I did questions 1 and 3 but wish I had done question 2 instead of 3. I found the exam reasonably hard, particularly the wording of question 1 :s-smilie:

I did the same questions! not sure I answered one in the right way it was such a strange way to ask the question :/ not sure about 3 either really because it was "industrial development" rather than economy
Original post by rosie66
I did the same questions! not sure I answered one in the right way it was such a strange way to ask the question :/ not sure about 3 either really because it was "industrial development" rather than economy

For question 1 I structured my paragraphs as political, economic, social and other. I mentioned Khrushchev policies and mentioned how the party opposed him. Yeah, for question 3 I nearly fell into the trap of writing about agriculture too, when it was clearly only about industry. My main focus was on Brezhnev for that question.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending