The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Q: What is the fastest way to determine the sex of a chromosome?

A: Pull down its genes.
:biggrin:
I think this may already be on the thread somewhere but I cant find it anywhere, I don't really understand the apoplastic and symplastic pathway, if anyone could help me that would be great.
Original post by FatHeadedKing
Because when the homologous pairs line up, it's 2x diploid.

What the hell are you talking about? When they line up, its DIPLOID(Even though there are 92 CHROMATIDS, there are still only 46 CHROMOSOMES). After they divide, they become HAPLOID(Even though they then have 46 CHROMATIDS, the daughter cells have 23 CHROMOSOMES)
Reply 2563
Original post by Rebeelouise
For all you last minuters ;D

:'( can't view them ,stupid laptop :angry:.You think this is the right time to act funny :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Q: What is the fastest way to determine the sex of a chromosome?

A: Pull down its genes.

:biggrin:

:hahaha:

Original post by Nav_Mallhi
And its by osmosis?

Yes!

Original post by Emily5678
I think this may already be on the thread somewhere but I cant find it anywhere, I don't really understand the apoplastic and symplastic pathway, if anyone could help me that would be great.

Someone posted this earlier:

Basically water wants to get from thesoil into the xylem vessels. It can do this by 2 methods or'pathways' called the SYMPLAST PATHWAY or APOPLAST PATHWAY.

Symplast Pathway

In the Symplast pathway, water movesthrough the CYTOPLASMS of the cells.
Water diffuses along a water potentialgradient through PORES between the cells of the Cortex calledplasmodesmata. The Cortex is simply all the cells between theRoot hair cell and the Xylem vessel.

Apoplast Pathway

In the Apoplast pathway, water movesthrough the CELL WALLS of the cells.
Water stops at the ENDODERMIS asthere is a CASPARIAN STRIP which prevents the water from passingfurther, making the water pass through a membrane by osmosis down awater potential gradient INTO THE SYMPLAST PATHWAY, which is usefulas it prevents harmful substances such as toxins or viruses fromentering the xylem vessels as the membrane would not let them past.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

EXTRA

Water potential in the root hair cell is lowered by the active transport of mineral ions from the soil, hence water can move from the soil into them down a water potential gradient

Watch this, if you need more help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWNtXw-MWtE
(edited 10 years ago)
What does DNA stand for?National Dyslexia Association.
Growth of tumour / number of days = growth of tumour per day

Control = 372/50 = 7.44 mm^3 per day
Taxol = 87/50 = 1.74 mm^3 per day

Thanks u make it seem so simple now :colondollar:
Original post by LiamDaly
Can someone post 6 marker on Meiosis as if it comes up I'm so screwed. Like describe the features of meiosis [6]

Posted from TSR Mobilehh

They won't ask you that amigo. All you need to know is that the chromosomes line up at the equator in homologous pairs. At this point, crossing over(rare) and independent segregation occur that increase variation. You don't need to really explain the stages of meiosis
What does DNA stand for?National Dyslexia Association.

deoxyribonucleic acid :wink:
Original post by lorobolorolo
Thanks u make it seem so simple now :colondollar:

D'aaawww. Nice to be appreciated :rolleyes:
Original post by VigneshSB
What the hell are you talking about? When they line up, its DIPLOID(Even though there are 92 CHROMATIDS, there are still only 46 CHROMOSOMES). After they divide, they become HAPLOID(Even though they then have 46 CHROMATIDS, the daughter cells have 23 CHROMOSOMES)

So this is correct?

cause I thought it was like this:

cell starts with two homologous chromosomes

( X X ) chromosome number 2 - diploid

meiosis 1

( X ) ( X) chromosome number 1? - haploid ?

meiosis 2

(\) (/) (\) (/) Chromosome number 1 - still haploid?
Reply 2571
Could someone just clarify if this is right about water transport in plants:
1) The Root:
- Ions are actively transported into the xylem
- This reduces water potential in the xylem
- Water moves down a water potential gradient from the soil to the root hair cells by osmosis
- This creates root pressure
2) The Routes:
- The symplast pathway involves travelling through living parts of the cell - the cytoplasm
- Cells are connected by plasmodesmata
- The apoplast pathway involves travelling through the non-living parts of the cell - the cell wall.
- Once endodermis cells are reached, a waxy casparian strip prevents the water from moving through the cell wall, so its forced to travel through the cell membrane (which allows for more control over water movement)
- Water molecules then reach the xylem
3) The Xylem:
- Water evaporates at the leaf of the plant
- This creates tension (suction) which forces more water molecules into the leaf
- Water molecules are cohesive due to hydrogen bonding, so when one is sucked up, a whole column follows
- As water enters via the roots, it pushes water already in the xylem further upwards (root pressure)

Much appreciated, need to get this!
i just hope this paper isn't as hard as jan 2013! just done that paper as a mock and it was killer :frown:
Original post by MintCrepz
So this is correct?

cause I thought it was like this:

cell starts with two homologous chromosomes

( X X ) chromosome number 2 - diploid

meiosis 1

( X ) ( X) chromosome number 1? - haploid ?

meiosis 2

(\) (/) (\) (/) Chromosome number 1 - still haploid?

That's exactly spot on mate! Don't listen to that other guy!
Do the chromosome replicate themselves before the beginning of meiosis one?xx
Original post by Nav_Mallhi
And its by osmosis?

Yes that's what my teacher has taught me so that's what I'm gonna put down
I wish I were DNA helicase...then I could unzip your genes.
That's exactly spot on mate! Don't listen to that other guy!

I hope so ! Cheers

I'm sorry, I made a mistake. No need to be mean to me :frown:
Reply 2579
what do guys think might come up as the 6 mark Q?
and what may also come up in the paper that hasn't came up before?

Latest

Trending

Trending