The Student Room Group

WJEC GL4 maps

Does anyone know where I can get an electronic copy of the GL4 maps (preferable in .pdf form)? I've found one for 2008, and I've done later years, but I need them for 2002,2003 and 2006. Without the maps the second part of the paper is useless, and it's the bit I find the most difficult out of the two.

Thanks in advance
Original post by GeoSeal
Does anyone know where I can get an electronic copy of the GL4 maps (preferable in .pdf form)? I've found one for 2008, and I've done later years, but I need them for 2002,2003 and 2006. Without the maps the second part of the paper is useless, and it's the bit I find the most difficult out of the two.

Thanks in advance

Sorry this is a bit of a late reply, but I've got a weblink to a 6th form moodle platform with guest login, they have links to all the maps:smile: Some of them are scanned though, so sections of the maps are cut off but its better than nothing!!
http://elib.strode-college.ac.uk/moodle/login/index.php
Reply 2
Thank you immensely :smile: got two days to get my map work up to scratch now!
Original post by GeoSeal
Thank you immensely :smile: got two days to get my map work up to scratch now!

Good luck! Incidentally, I was going through the specification, just to check on what we were expected to know, and I came across something I'm not really sure I understand ...
'Linear geological boundaries crossing topographical relief as a sign of steep dip"
I get how if the bedding mirrors the contours it means they're pretty much horizontal but I don't really understand this :/
Oh and I found this resource earlier, its got good diagrams!
http://www.academia.edu/326840/Geological_Structures_and_Maps
Reply 5
Unfortunately we've never been "taught" the BGS map stuff in a traditional way; no "this means that" etc, our teacher is very old school and we basically learnt it through doing past papers :/

However what it might be saying is that a linear feature like that, that is linear regardless of the topography must be near vertical or vertical. This would apply to faults, dykes etc. Imagine a vertical dyke cutting up through a bumpy irregular hill. It's top-down, map-view profile would be linear, because if it was outcropping at a slight dip on the hill, the dykes is still there. (If you get what I mean). But if its dipping 45 degrees N, if there is a trough in the topography, inline where it outcrops at a higher level, the dyke would not outcrop there, but further N.

I hope that makes sense xD hard to explain without diagrams
Original post by GeoSeal
Unfortunately we've never been "taught" the BGS map stuff in a traditional way; no "this means that" etc, our teacher is very old school and we basically learnt it through doing past papers :/

However what it might be saying is that a linear feature like that, that is linear regardless of the topography must be near vertical or vertical. This would apply to faults, dykes etc. Imagine a vertical dyke cutting up through a bumpy irregular hill. It's top-down, map-view profile would be linear, because if it was outcropping at a slight dip on the hill, the dykes is still there. (If you get what I mean). But if its dipping 45 degrees N, if there is a trough in the topography, inline where it outcrops at a higher level, the dyke would not outcrop there, but further N.

I hope that makes sense xD hard to explain without diagrams

Thanks, yeah I think I get that :')
I've been going through past papers, to find what may be likely in the B section, we're supposed to be able to project gravity/magnetic anomalies, and so far they haven't done a magnetic one so it might be worth revising that!

The last question, the 5+ marker trend goes as so (from 2006)
Landfill, tunnels, Radon + Resevoir, Geol issues with coal mining, env issues with coal mining, landslides, and in in 2012 airport development to include subsidence pollution and water .... make of that what you will, but I hope this means coal mining isn't too likely!
Maybe lead mining or quarrying?
Reply 7
I found the last questions are fairly easy as long as you're ok with your GL3 stuff. Section B seems to me more common sense/ graph reading skills to me, for example you didn't really need to revise anything for the gravity anomalies question that came up, it was finishing a graph and inferring what it meant. I suppose A2 physics helped a bit there though!
Original post by GeoSeal
I found the last questions are fairly easy as long as you're ok with your GL3 stuff. Section B seems to me more common sense/ graph reading skills to me, for example you didn't really need to revise anything for the gravity anomalies question that came up, it was finishing a graph and inferring what it meant. I suppose A2 physics helped a bit there though!

Yeah, especially with the Hooke's Law graph ... our teacher didn't go through that with us so praise AS physcics :P
Reply 9
We did our coursework on stress/strain so I know that to death! (was the most unscientific "experiment" I've ever seen though)
Have you applied for Earth Science at Uni?
Original post by GeoSeal
We did our coursework on stress/strain so I know that to death! (was the most unscientific "experiment" I've ever seen though)
Have you applied for Earth Science at Uni?

Oh god D: Ours was a murder-mystery sand analysis, like geoforensics, and one on landfill sites ... so if landfill comes up in GL4 I AM THERE :colone:

I have, MGeol at Leicester and Geography with Geology at Southampton for my back-up ... how about you? :biggrin:
Reply 11
MSci Geology Imperial as my firm, same for Birmingham (hometown wooh) as insurance :smile:
Original post by GeoSeal
MSci Geology Imperial as my firm, same for Birmingham (hometown wooh) as insurance :smile:

Oh I think I know someone going to imperial :smile: I'm near Birmingham too, but I wanted to move a bit further away from home :P
The London Uni courses all looked really good, but London is soooo expensive :/
Reply 13
Birmingham was simply my second favourite for the course (wouldn't be a home student anyway) and gives me a 3 grade buffer in the summer :smile: well goodluck for later!
Original post by GeoSeal
Birmingham was simply my second favourite for the course (wouldn't be a home student anyway) and gives me a 3 grade buffer in the summer :smile: well goodluck for later!

I didn't really look at it, but looking now it does look good:smile:
You too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending