The Student Room Group

AQA GCE Geography Unit 3- 7th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1520
Original post by SamEastie
earthquakes: when the plates diverge, pressure falls, semi molten mantle melts; magma. this reduced pressure allows it to rise. when it rise through cracks/fissures in the crust, it causes an earthquake. rifting also causes earthquakes. also plates dont move apart in a uniform way; pressure can build up and when it becomes too great, the plate fractures forming a fault line and causing a quake.
volcanoes: as the mantle is under pressure, this pressure is released when the plates diverge, and the semi molten mantle melts into magma; less dense than the mantle so therefore rises. as the plates move apart; giant fractures occur and magma gets forced up through the fracture and erupts.
rift valleys: continental/continental spreading; crust heats up and forms a dome due to the rising convection currents. the updoming causes fractures. as each side of the rift moves apart, the parallel fractures widen and central section of crust drops down = rift valley.

Thanks a lot! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by racheyroo
is anyone else dreading this exam? im so nervous for it, so much to remember and not a lot of time left, and i have an exam wednesday too :frown:
any predictions for essays? one of my teachers suggested NIC's for development and globalisation essay, but they wouldnt predict anything else
is anyone doing weather and climate? i'm struggling for case studies on that one

I've got quite a lot of case studies, my teacher got really overenthusiastic on giving out geofiles, if you quote me and ask which sections you need them for i'll let you know asap :biggrin:
Reply 1522
Original post by knowledgecorruptz
Has anyone got anything on sustainability for Development & Globalisation? Quite worried it might come up as a 40-marker now.

I've got economic sustainability as Sarawak, It's in the revision guide but it's really good, got some good facts.

I could scan it for you if you want.
Original post by dawg
I've got economic sustainability as Sarawak, It's in the revision guide but it's really good, got some good facts.

I could scan it for you if you want.

That's great. Don't worry, I've got the book but thanks all the same :smile: I'll have a look at it, cheers
Reply 1524
Original post by knowledgecorruptz
That's great. Don't worry, I've got the book but thanks all the same :smile: I'll have a look at it, cheers

Also, my teacher said that she thinks sustainable tourism might come up in the 7, 8 or 10 marker for Globalisation. So i'd try and remember the Barrier Reef Case study, it's pretty good!
For volcanoes, I've currently got 2 main case studies on Eyjafjallajokull and Soufriere Hills, but I'm not really confident with having Montserrat as an LEDC ...
I've also got mini studies of Nevada Del Ruiz, Mt St Helens and Mt Merapi, but I'd really appreciate if someone could point me in the direction of a good LEDC Volcano, especially for management (or lack of)
Reply 1526
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by rosiesaurus
For volcanoes, I've currently got 2 main case studies on Eyjafjallajokull and Soufriere Hills, but I'm not really confident with having Montserrat as an LEDC ...
I've also got mini studies of Nevada Del Ruiz, Mt St Helens and Mt Merapi, but I'd really appreciate if someone could point me in the direction of a good LEDC Volcano, especially for management (or lack of)

My LEDC is Nyiragongo in the DR Congo, 2002
-147 dead
-Predicted by a local expert, UN inspectors came in and declared it safe, blew up soon after
-400,000 people escaped to Rwanda, management was mainly by NGOs setting up refugee camps
-Most deadly effusive eruption of all time
-DRCs red cross made action plan prior to eruption, identifying refugee sites and were responsible for updating the warning system.
-Authorities issued a red alert a full evacuation of Goma and the surrounding area.
-UN bring in humanitarian aid 2 days after eruption.
-Rations included high energy food e.g. biscuits.
-UN also set up refugee camps at a cost of $15 million (Repair cost was even higher)
-Medical attention required treatments for smoke and fume inhalation
Original post by St. Brynjar
My LEDC is Nyiragongo in the DR Congo, 2002
-147 dead
-Predicted by a local expert, UN inspectors came in and declared it safe, blew up soon after
-400,000 people escaped to Rwanda, management was mainly by NGOs setting up refugee camps
-Most deadly effusive eruption of all time
-DRCs red cross made action plan prior to eruption, identifying refugee sites and were responsible for updating the warning system.
-Authorities issued a red alert a full evacuation of Goma and the surrounding area.
-UN bring in humanitarian aid 2 days after eruption.
-Rations included high energy food e.g. biscuits.
-UN also set up refugee camps at a cost of $15 million (Repair cost was even higher)
-Medical attention required treatments for smoke and fume inhalation

I Like the NICs section in the CGP Book, especially the contrast between India & China, worth a look for anyone doing D&G.
Original post by V95
i pray that your teacher's prediction for the globalisation essay is right! haha, i love NICs and TNCs

same :smile: they said that its unlikely that TNCs would come up as it was last papers or something, but a question on NIC's is likely, but i was a bit confused as to how an essay could purely be on NIC's as it doesnt seem like weve learnt enough for 40 marks :/
Original post by rosiesaurus
I've got quite a lot of case studies, my teacher got really overenthusiastic on giving out geofiles, if you quote me and ask which sections you need them for i'll let you know asap :biggrin:

thanks :smile: we had loads for plate tectonics but had to rush through weather so I only have a couple. I have one for British Isles climate which is the great storm of 1987, then Hurricane Katrina and Cyclone Nargis, thats all we've been given. I love geofiles sad as it sounds haha
thanks :smile: we had loads for plate tectonics but had to rush through weather so I only have a couple. I have one for British Isles climate which is the great storm of 1987, then Hurricane Katrina and Cyclone Nargis, thats all we've been given. I love geofiles sad as it sounds haha

That is all we have been given for weather and climate as well. We also have one on Dallas, Texas which is an urban heat island. I think that is all you need though :biggrin:
Original post by rosiejohnston
That is all we have been given for weather and climate as well. We also have one on Dallas, Texas which is an urban heat island. I think that is all you need though :biggrin:

ooh thanks, will look that one up :smile: ahh thats ok then, it just doesnt seem like many compared to the other 3 topics we've been taught :L
Reply 1534
same :smile: they said that its unlikely that TNCs would come up as it was last papers or something, but a question on NIC's is likely, but i was a bit confused as to how an essay could purely be on NIC's as it doesnt seem like weve learnt enough for 40 marks :/

TNCs as a 40 marker hasn't come up! in jan13 it was to do with trade and in the june12 paper, it was asian tigers (NICs)! so TNCs/NICs may come up - lets pray! lol
Original post by V95
TNCs as a 40 marker hasn't come up! in jan13 it was to do with trade and in the june12 paper, it was asian tigers (NICs)! so TNCs/NICs may come up - lets pray! lol

ooh :smile: hopefully then, would love TNC's that would be best essay possible for me i think :smile: fingers crossed
Reply 1536
Is there even enough to write about in a 40 mark essay about TNC's? I've only got one case study for TNC's and thats Wal-Mart.

Has everybody else got more than one case study for them?
Original post by dawg
Is there even enough to write about in a 40 mark essay about TNC's? I've only got one case study for TNC's and thats Wal-Mart.

Has everybody else got more than one case study for them?

I'm going to use Glaxo Smith Kline from last year, too.
Reply 1538
Original post by JLXP
I'm going to use Glaxo Smith Kline from last year, too.

Good shout, still got the revision guide from last year which has it in I think.
Original post by St. Brynjar
Yeah I've been told similar things, examiners reports often say that it's obvious people leave it till last and rush, and lose a lot of marks. Although I definitely prefer building up to the big questions in the exam, I might do a structured first, then essay, then structured.

Yh I was thinking of doing that, depends on the Q :/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending