The Student Room Group

Medicine 2014 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by TattyBoJangles
It's all about how you sell it in your personal statement / reflect upon it in interview.

Do you have voluntary work of any other nature? I didn't have much 'caring' voluntary work but did other stuff like St John Ambulance and mentoring.

Duties that you do in St John Ambulance can sometimes be caring, I would say it definitely counts as volunteering.:tongue:
Original post by ergo30
Duties that you do in St John Ambulance can sometimes be caring, I would say it definitely counts as volunteering.:tongue:

It's definitely volunteering. Caring? In theory, no so much in practice; despite good intentions, I've never actually helped anyone despite being a member for three years.
I deliberately put myself down for duties that look like they could produce some interesting casualties.. never get any.

Either way, I didn't actually get asked about it in my interviews. And I still do it as I enjoy it (and going to the pub after meetings, I must say).

Edit: If it wasn't clear before, I'm not a 2014 applicant; I was a 2013 re-applicant and will be starting in September.
(edited 10 years ago)
It's definitely volunteering. Caring? In theory, no so much in practice; despite good intentions, I've never actually helped anyone despite being a member for three years.
I deliberately put myself down for duties that look like they could produce some interesting casualties.. never get any.

Sounds like you needed to find an accomplice :biggrin:
Reply 263

Either way, I didn't actually get asked about it in my interviews. And I still do it as I enjoy it (and going to the pub after meetings, I must say).

Edit: If it wasn't clear before, I'm not a 2014 applicant; I was a 2013 re-applicant and will be starting in September.

Go on the London Marathon duty, I often get quite a few casualties on things like that but seriously you get no other injuries? Where is your centre, on the duties I go on we get loads of casualties.:smile:
Original post by ergo30
Go on the London Marathon duty, I often get quite a few casualties on things like that but seriously you get no other injuries? Where is your centre, on the duties I go on we get loads of casualties.:smile:

I was busy this year.

Cambridge. We're covering May Week, but I'll be in Warwick for the week.

Generally, the smaller duties we do will be fairly quiet and most require a plaster at most. Bigger ones such as Strawberry Fair (which I missed as well as I was in Oxford) have a lot of cover so although there may be more injuries, they often don't come my way.
Original post by Pastaferian
Sounds like you needed to find an accomplice :biggrin:

Funnily enough, sometimes I find myself looking at people and going "Oh, go on, fall over!" :p:
Reply 266
I was busy this year.

Cambridge. We're covering May Week, but I'll be in Warwick for the week.

Generally, the smaller duties we do will be fairly quiet and most require a plaster at most. Bigger ones such as Strawberry Fair (which I missed as well as I was in Oxford) have a lot of cover so although there may be more injuries, they often don't come my way.

Ahh that's why, most of our duties are based in London so it's fairly busy.:smile:
Original post by Officegirl4

Anyway, I'm doing Chemistry, human biology, physics, modern studies and history all at higher.

Already done maths at higher.

so good to hear from someone else applying from Scotland. No one in my year wants to do it, so I am all alone! How have your exams gone? I think mine went good. Dreading the 6th of August though :/ do you not have to do english in 5th year then. Everyone in my school did, it is so unfair, especially for sciencey people!
What are you doing next year? I'm doing AH bio, chem, physics and the science baccalaureate.
Starting to feel like everything is becoming very serious, future-wise, having booked my UKCAT today :biggrin:
Original post by katherine96
so good to hear from someone else applying from Scotland. No one in my year wants to do it, so I am all alone! How have your exams gone? I think mine went good. Dreading the 6th of August though :/ do you not have to do english in 5th year then. Everyone in my school did, it is so unfair, especially for sciencey people!
What are you doing next year? I'm doing AH bio, chem, physics and the science baccalaureate.
Starting to feel like everything is becoming very serious, future-wise, having booked my UKCAT today :biggrin:

They went alright, think I might get a few As but not the 5 I need. Modern and physics let me down :frown:

How were yours?
Nope no English. Our guidance teachers tried to encourage everyone to take it (quite a few were made to take it) but if you can fight your case well enough you were let off. It was pretty easy for me because my guidance teacher was a chemistry and biology teacher so she understands my dislike towards English. Don't mind the written subjects it's just the over analysis of texts I can't stand.

August the 6th is also a date I am dreading.

Next year I'm taking Advanced Maths, Advanced biology and Advanced Chemistry! It was such a hard decision to make!

I know, my teacher keeps telling me about how she's started putting together my university reference. It's scary stuff!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, you know for the bursary for the UKCAT, if I fit more than one criteria do I need to upload evidence for everything, or would be uploading evidence for one I fit be sufficient?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by danaa
Hey guys, you know for the bursary for the UKCAT, if I fit more than one criteria do I need to upload evidence for everything, or would be uploading evidence for one I fit be sufficient?

I would email everything, if it isn't too much hassle. Just be clear in the covering email which piece of evidence support each criterion (naming the attached filenames could make that clear).
Original post by Pastaferian
I would email everything, if it isn't too much hassle. Just be clear in the covering email which piece of evidence support each criterion (naming the attached filenames could make that clear).

Ah right, ok thanks:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 272
Hey everyone!
I was a reapplicant- I have an unconditional for Glasgow and will be starting in september! If anyone needs any advice on the application process or anything then feel free to ask! :smile:
Original post by zoe-mac
Hey everyone!
I was a reapplicant- I have an unconditional for Glasgow and will be starting in september! If anyone needs any advice on the application process or anything then feel free to ask! :smile:

What did you do for your gap year mate?
Reply 274
Original post by DrumChops
What did you do for your gap year mate?

I've been working. I do youth work, healthcare assistant and also a receptionist in A&E so I've been able to save some money up for starting in September :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Share what you are doing as preparation, and what you've already done.
So just introduce yourself if you want (girl/boy) whether your in yr12 or on gap year and just your profile really. So I'll start :smile:
-I'm a girl (as you can see from my name haha)
-I'm applying to do dentistry
-For GCSE's I have: 5 A*s 4As 2Bs 2Cs
-AS: I do/did (finished my exams!) Chemistry, Bio, Maths and Arabic...they all went extremely well thankfully, except M1 maths edexcel which was the most horrific exam experience ever :frown:
So I'm hoping for atleast 3 As
I got AAB in my Jan exams
-I haven't done any work experience yet, so thats my main focus now. I volunteer so thats good.
- The dreaded UKCat! I'm going to start preparing the '600' book but it looks so difficult! IDK when to book a date to take the exam, what have you guys done?
- I don't exactly do any extra curricular activities apart from read vampire books ... I like swimming.. yeah thats about it.
- The unis I 100% want to apply to are King's and Barts. Not sure about the other 2.

So yeah, thats me. How about you? :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by GirlWithADream
x

Hey, I moved your thread here :smile:
Original post by GirlWithADream
Share what you are doing as preparation, and what you've already done.
So just introduce yourself if you want (girl/boy) whether your in yr12 or on gap year and just your profile really. So I'll start :smile:
-I'm a girl (as you can see from my name haha)
-I'm applying to do dentistry
-For GCSE's I have: 5 A*s 4As 2Bs 2Cs
-AS: I do/did (finished my exams!) Chemistry, Bio, Maths and Arabic...they all went extremely well thankfully, except M1 maths edexcel which was the most horrific exam experience ever :frown:
So I'm hoping for atleast 3 As
I got AAB in my Jan exams
-I haven't done any work experience yet, so thats my main focus now. I volunteer so thats good.
- The dreaded UKCat! I'm going to start preparing the '600' book but it looks so difficult! IDK when to book a date to take the exam, what have you guys done?
- I don't exactly do any extra curricular activities apart from read vampire books ... I like swimming.. yeah thats about it.
- The unis I 100% want to apply to are King's and Barts. Not sure about the other 2.
So yeah, thats me. How about you? :biggrin:

Hi, my advice to medics on UKCAT is book it early, but give yourself ~3 weeks to prepare. That gives the medics time to review where they want to apply, given that some med schools put a lot of emphasis on UKCAT. However, I don't know whether the same strategy is valid for dentistry. Likewise, medics need to try hard to get shadowing experience if they haven't done so already - I'd expect that would be the same for dentists. Good luck!
I haven't registered with UKCAT yet and at the moment the registration page isn't working. Anyone have any ideas on which book/s are the best for revision?
Original post by moonziggy
I haven't registered with UKCAT yet and at the moment the registration page isn't working. Anyone have any ideas on which book/s are the best for revision?

Happy reading... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2338356 :smile:

I also posted my own thoughts on UKCAT - the link is in my sig. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending