The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by constantmeowage
Sin embargo is a phrase which means 'however' :tongue: 'Sin' is without, I don't actually know what embargo means on its own. :s

Well, maybe it's the added pressure of the whole university thing! :tongue: But it seems like you're taking ASes coming out your eyeballs already! :tongue: I don't know, I'd rather put myself in the best position to pass anything I try and take, but if you've seriously got the time, ¡espero que saques buenas notas cuando hagas el examen! :smile:

Aah, embargo on its own means embargo :wink:

Yeah, I don't have that stress... Yet :mmm:

I will obviously, I'm just saying :tongue: thank you :smile: means a lot

Although German has been shoved out now :lol:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Aah, embargo on its own means embargo :wink:

Yeah, I don't have that stress... Yet :mmm:

I will obviously, I'm just saying :tongue: thank you :smile: means a lot

Although German has been shoved out now :lol:

:frown: Deutsch hat wegen dir angefangen zu tränen. Danke schön. :mad:
:frown: Deutsch hat wegen dir angefangen zu tränen. Danke schön. :mad:

What?:lol:
What?:lol:

Tu as maintenant fait pleurer l'allemand. :tongue:
Tu as maintenant fait pleurer l'allemand. :tongue:

I've made it cry?:lol: :awesome:

Non credo che * I made it cry!:h:
Original post by thatitootoo
Um wie viel Uhr fangt die deutsche Abendkurse übermorgen an?
Beginnst sie am sechzehn Uhr? Ich kann es mich nur nicht erinnern :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
6.30pm- lazybones!
I've made it cry?:lol: :awesome:

Non credo che * I made it cry!:h:

Oui. Aie honte!
Original post by Octopus_Garden
6.30pm- lazybones!

Ohhhh that's when it startssss :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oui. Aie honte!

It'll live :tongue:
Schiettttttttt miiiiijjjjjjjjjj NU
Maakkkk Meee Døddd.
Alstubliefttttttt

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
I need to learn a load of verbs and other vocab now tbh... :h: then I'm set :teehee:
I need to learn a load of verbs and other vocab now tbh... :h: then I'm set :teehee:

For Spanish? Eh, there are points where it differs from French quite a bit, so don't assume the grammar is a total walk in the part, especially vis-a-vis the subjunctive, and things like pronouns (not just lack of subject ones) etc. I found that it starts off quite easy and starts getting bitchier and bitchier - not to mention ser/estar and por/para :tongue:
For Spanish? Eh, there are points where it differs from French quite a bit, so don't assume the grammar is a total walk in the part, especially vis-a-vis the subjunctive, and things like pronouns (not just lack of subject ones) etc. I found that it starts off quite easy and starts getting bitchier and bitchier - not to mention ser/estar and por/para :tongue:

I've read on the pronouns, what else is there?

Ser and estar aren't too bad... Por and para, one is "pour" and the other is like "used with"
I've read on the pronouns, what else is there?

Ser and estar aren't too bad... Por and para, one is "pour" and the other is like "used with"

Ser/estar can sometimes get tricky/can both be used in different contexts...

Por/para are nasty, and I still don't know all of its uses well yet without having to run it through google. >.< Para doesn't always perform like 'pour' though, there are differences - para tends to be about destination and purpose, whilst por tends to be about reason and exchange, and behalf. :tongue: You can even say:

'El coche va a ir para Cardiff por Bristol' - The car's gonna go to Cardiff through Bristol.

You just have to learn and pick up contexts. -.-

In Spanish you have to repeat the pronoun if you use an indirect object, so:

Le doy el dinero a mi amigo. -.-

The subjunctive is nasty, and doesn't always have to follow 'que' -.- it can follow 'cuando' and 'si' as well, for example. -.- plus the imperfect subj IS used commonly in Spanish, unlike in French, and has two fairly similar conjugations (stick with one and recognise the other; the -era ones are used more in L.Am, and the -ese ones more in Spain).

Plus the word order is not as rigid - for example, after relative pronouns, it's quite common for the subject and the verb to invert:

Los zapatos que comprarán las chicas. (The shoes that the girls will buy)

It's not as easy as it looks. :tongue:

EDIT: HOW COULD I FORGET IMPERFECT VS PRETERITE?!?! This is the bane of my Spanish learning life! :tongue: it's like choosing between perfect/imperfect in French, but worse because you have to choose between perfect/imperfect/preterite in Spanish :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Ser/estar can sometimes get tricky/can both be used in different contexts...

Por/para are nasty, and I still don't know all of its uses well yet without having to run it through google. >.< Para doesn't always perform like 'pour' though, there are differences - para tends to be about destination and purpose, whilst por tends to be about reason and exchange, and behalf. :tongue: You can even say:

'El coche va a ir para Cardiff por Bristol' - The car's gonna go to Cardiff through Bristol.

You just have to learn and pick up contexts. -.-

In Spanish you have to repeat the pronoun if you use an indirect object, so:

Le doy el dinero a mi amigo. -.-

The subjunctive is nasty, and doesn't always have to follow 'que' -.- it can follow 'cuando' and 'si' as well, for example. -.- plus the imperfect subj IS used commonly in Spanish, unlike in French, and has two fairly similar conjugations (stick with one and recognise the other; the -era ones are used more in L.Am, and the -ese ones more in Spain).

Plus the word order is not as rigid - for example, after relative pronouns, it's quite common for the subject and the verb to invert:

Los zapatos que comprarán las chicas. (The shoes that the girls will buy)

It's not as easy as it looks. :tongue:

EDIT: HOW COULD I FORGET IMPERFECT VS PRETERITE?!?! This is the bane of my Spanish learning life! :tongue: it's like choosing between perfect/imperfect in French, but worse because you have to choose between perfect/imperfect/preterite in Spanish :tongue:

Dude, I have the whole summer :mmm:

Plus, haven't got the subjunctive yet... And haven't delved into those statements(like para/por) so :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Dude, I have the whole summer :mmm:

Plus, haven't got the subjunctive yet... And haven't delved into those statements(like para/por) so :smile:

Yeah? I've had a couple of years and I still stumble a bit with this stuff. Dude.
Yeah? I've had a couple of years and I still stumble a bit with this stuff. Dude.

I don't need to be fluent in it for the AS, I sense you're annoyed at me :colondollar:

Sorry dude.
I don't need to be fluent in it for the AS, I sense you're annoyed at me :colondollar:

Sorry dude.

True, but they expect you to be pretty good at it for the grades you're looking at - accuracy is key, settling for eh-ish accuracy is a bit lazy for a polyglot wannabe :wink: I just thought you were being a bit arrogant in thinking that you could overcome all those obstacles in three months. :tongue: don't you think I tried? :wink:
True, but they expect you to be pretty good at it for the grades you're looking at - accuracy is key, settling for eh-ish accuracy is a bit lazy for a polyglot wannabe :wink: I just thought you were being a bit arrogant in thinking that you could overcome all those obstacles in three months. :tongue: don't you think I tried? :wink:

:mmm: 3 months is ages though... :zomg: if I actually knuckled down and did stuff everyday I think I'd be at a decent standard.

Obviously not flawless, I'll probably never reach "native fluency" in any language... (although I want to be fluent in them)

:teehee: I want to try and prove you wrong now :lol: although I didn't mean to imply I'd have it all sorted by then... You're making it sound totally impossible :colondollar: I love a challenge, shame I can't spend all mt time on it:frown:
Reply 1879
:mmm: 3 months is ages though... :zomg: if I actually knuckled down and did stuff everyday I think I'd be at a decent standard.

Obviously not flawless, I'll probably never reach "native fluency" in any language... (although I want to be fluent in them)

:teehee: I want to try and prove you wrong now :lol: although I didn't mean to imply I'd have it all sorted by then... You're making it sound totally impossible :colondollar: I love a challenge, shame I can't spend all mt time on it:frown:

We had multiple grammar classes that just focused on por/para across one year at uni, just so you know...

I have two job interviews tomorrow, one at Subway and one at a supermarket. I also have my Danish oral coming up in a couple of weeks (it should be on the 17th or 18th but that could change). I keep getting those stress cramps in my stomach whenever I go to bed. Urgh.

Latest

Trending

Trending