The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sirocco11
Yeah I'd say so. Considering Simon was able to outplay Federer at points in the match, Tsonga will be even harder if he plays anything like he did today, which was exemplary. He's got more power, much bigger serve and may have more of the crowd on his side owing to his charisma. Hard to call either way.

I go along with that. But the crowd will still be evenly split - they love Roger so ridiculously much. Don't think Roger would mind being labelled as an underdog. However, I think we can say that Federer has now officially passed his first major test at RG, and we should also note that Tsonga has not played someone whose style is like his yet.

Also - not making excuses here, but I think that tumble in the second set made Federer stutter, and Simon almost knew it was the right moment to leap out of his shell.

However it goes (hopefully in the way of Federer), I very much doubt it will be a straight-sets affair.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ubi1
How long was the federer match?

About 2:50 hours - quite short for a 5-setter.
Original post by Krish4791
Wimbledon has always been the least predictable Grand Slam since about 2007/2008. Seedings will play a big part in this, particularly if Nadal was to not win the French Open and so slip to No. 5.

The outsiders: Berdych/Tsonga/Del Potro - these 3 are basically the big hitters in the draw. A long shot for the title, but they can remove Federer/Djokovic from the draw and dramatically reduce the threat to the rest of the top guys.

Berdych is a definite threat to taking somebody out.

Tsonga i don't think is a threat, his only SF came after Fed was 2 sets up.

Del Potro i actually think should not be long odds, he is simply betrayed by statistics. If you look at the last 2 years it has taken Nadal (and had he not had that hip injury half way through he'd have taken to a 5th since momentum seemed to be with him) and Ferrer to bring him down while he's taken down relatively decent players with ease like Nikishori.
Original post by TopHat
Crazy that Djokovic is the second youngest player still in the draw. Says a great deal about the future of tennis.

Is Nikishori the first?

Original post by Roger1
This 5 setter is very important for Federer. It would just make him more mentally and match tougher for the subsequent rounds.

And really surprised by how quick the match has gone by. Only 2 & half hours and we are well into the 5th round. If Nadal Or Murray or even Nole were involved instead of Fed, the match would have crossed the 5 hour mark by now. :tongue:

It's not all that suprising given the relative playing styles. Of the current top 10 i think only Nadal and Tsonga are capable of dragging Federer past 4 hours, the likes of Murray and Djokovic just can't slow it down enough with him in my opinion.

I will say though that slowing Federer down is a big key to beating him because he really can't handle long matches now (hence the losses after being 2 sets to love up). Actually i put Djokovic at 50/50 in being able to slow the game.
Original post by Rakas21
Berdych is a definite threat to taking somebody out.

Tsonga i don't think is a threat, his only SF came after Fed was 2 sets up.

Del Potro i actually think should not be long odds, he is simply betrayed by statistics. If you look at the last 2 years it has taken Nadal (and had he not had that hip injury half way through he'd have taken to a 5th since momentum seemed to be with him) and Ferrer to bring him down while he's taken down relatively decent players with ease like Nikishori.

Tsonga is definitely the biggest threat. Grass is his best surface and he's had semi-finals the past 2 years. He gave prime Djokovic more of a scare than Nadal did in 2011. He's also in great form at the moment.
Reply 2205
So are the quarter finals on wed and semis on fri?
Original post by ubi1
So are the quarter finals on wed and semis on fri?

No - I think Federer, Tsonga, Ferrer and Robredo play on Tuesday and then the Top Half of the draw (i.e. Djoko and Rafa and whoever) play on Wednesday. The bottom half then get an extra day's rest as the Men's Semifinals all take place on Friday.
This might just be me being a little bit demented, but I think that the Tsonga match could be easier for Fed to adapt to. Gilles Simon is very unpredictable: one minute he's defending and the next minute he's ultra aggressive, and you don't know what's coming. With Tsonga, he's more predictable in the sense that he is nearly always aggressive and is not afraid to come to the net too often. Of course Tsonga could just blow him off the court if he's on fire and Roger isn't but Fed has won their last 2 GS meetings and their only meeting on clay.
If you look on the betting websites, Federer is still a healthy favourite for his match against Tsonga, which is surprising....
Reply 2209
I am backing either Tsonga or Berdych to take out of the big guns and make the final at Wimby. Their aggressive style of play coincides well with the quick nature of grass, so it wouldn't surprise me if they go that far. I don't see them beating Nadal or Murray but upsetting Federer and Djokovic is very much plausible.
Reply 2210
I desperately want Nadal to play tennis the way he did in 2008 RG final. He needs to play like to put Nole in his place.
Its going to be quite interesting this year, lets see who gets the super 8 first, the G.O.A.T of Clay or G.O.A.T of Tennis.
Nadal needs 1 more slam on grass and hard to be the only player to have atleast 3 majors on 3 different surfaces.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ubi1
I desperately want Nadal to play tennis the way he did in 2008 RG final. He needs to play like to put Nole in his place.
Its going to be quite interesting this year, lets see who gets the super 8 first, the G.O.A.T of Clay or G.O.A.T of Tennis.
Nadal needs 1 more slam on grass and hard to be the only player to have atleast 3 majors on 3 different surfaces.

I think we need to accept Nadal will not be back to 2008 RG form, particularly since players are working out that they need to be aggressive and attack Nadal's weaknesses on the court.

Interesting stat about Nadal's 3 majors on 3 diff surfaces - I never realised that, and it is a possibility. Also, if Federer wins the French Open once more in his career, he will be only the 2nd person ever (other than Rod Laver) to have completed the Double Career Grand Slam (winning each Slam at least twice).
Reply 2212
Original post by Krish4791
I think we need to accept Nadal will not be back to 2008 RG form, particularly since players are working out that they need to be aggressive and attack Nadal's weaknesses on the court.

Interesting stat about Nadal's 3 majors on 3 diff surfaces - I never realised that, and it is a possibility. Also, if Federer wins the French Open once more in his career, he will be only the 2nd person ever (other than Rod Laver) to have completed the Double Career Grand Slam (winning each Slam at least twice).

Yep Fed could join Rafa and Mr Rod Laver if he wins this french open. Also Mats Wilander has 2 slams on each surface but hes never won the Us open.
So yeah Feds going for the double this year and Nadals going for the triple.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2213
I just cant wait for Nole v Rafa.
Original post by ubi1
I just cant wait for Nole v Rafa.

Yeah, should be an exciting match.
I was going to comment in the first set about Fed going all the way (that shot around the net :eek: ) however from seeing the majority of the match I can now not see him doing so, Simon was pushing him around to easily.

Ferrer and Tsonga for me will meet (incidentally the 2 yet to drop a set) and whilst I would love to see David do it, I think Jo will get to the final in front of his home crowd, especially based on today! And then anything really could happen. I shall now hit the sack, awaiting excitedly the Wawrinka-Gasquet match :biggrin:
Original post by hskjlclcn
I was going to comment in the first set about Fed going all the way (that shot around the net :eek: ) however from seeing the majority of the match I can now not see him doing so, Simon was pushing him around to easily.

Ferrer and Tsonga for me will meet (incidentally the 2 yet to drop a set) and whilst I would love to see David do it, I think Jo will get to the final in front of his home crowd, especially based on today! And then anything really could happen. I shall now hit the sack, awaiting excitedly the Wawrinka-Gasquet match :biggrin:

Original post by Chief Wiggum

A thing of beauty! Mine would have decimated the ball boy and umpire :tongue:
Reply 2218
That shot around the net post brought back so many memories.
Reply 2219
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Yeah, should be an exciting match.

So they will meet on friday

Latest