The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1200
Original post by Kits
doods

is outlining the process of atherosclerosis on the spec?

if it is it seems like its something they might ask tbh

Yeah i think you need to know how an atheroma forms, it won't be worth many marks if it does come up though. All you can really say is damage in the artery walls means that a LDL's collect, causing a blood clot to form as the RBC's stick together narrowing the width of the lumen.
Reply 1201
Is it likely that a testing enzyme ability will come up ie the ph or temperature ? or something . . I hate those :s-smilie:
Reply 1202
Original post by samiwami
Yep that's right :smile:)

What has been your method of revision?

Just lots of past papers and using the specification to make notes, i find using that really helps you to make sure you don't miss anything out of your revision and i apologise i forgot to ask a question
What are the effects of Carbon monoxide on the body
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE ! :bumps:
Reply 1204
Original post by ssflcb
Is it likely that a testing enzyme ability will come up ie the ph or temperature ? or something . . I hate those :s-smilie:

I think there has been like a 7 mark question on that in 2009 and maybe in jan 2013 as well so may be a bit unlikely to come up
Reply 1205
Original post by Hello...
Just lots of past papers and using the specification to make notes, i find using that really helps you to make sure you don't miss anything out of your revision and i apologise i forgot to ask a question

Reduces oxygen carrying capacity of red blood cells as it irreversibly binds to haemoglobin
Original post by Kits
doods

is outlining the process of atherosclerosis on the spec?

if it is it seems like its something they might ask tbh

Yes I think it is

Artherosclerosis is a cardiovascular disease
Caused by the narrowing of the arteries due to a build up of cholestrol or fatty substances which restricts blood flow causing hypertension and artheroma
This happens when nicotine levels rise and platelets form causing a build up
Carbon monoxide damage the inner lining of the arteries which encourages the growth of smooth muscle and fatty substances

I hope this question doesn't come up lol
Reply 1207
exact definition of endangered species ?
Reply 1208
I've been revising simply from the CGP revision guide, but I've noticed that the official Heinemann textbook has quite a bit more detail. Is everything I need to know covered in the CGP guide, or should I get started on the Heinemann textbook?
Reply 1209
Original post by Majeue
Reduces oxygen carrying capacity of red blood cells as it irreversibly binds to haemoglobin

Yes, it also combines more readily with haemoglobin than oxygen does, the body will detect a lower amount of oxygen which may increase the heart rate... it can also damage the endothelium of the arteries
Reply 1210
Original post by Juliajuliajulia
Have you done all the past papers? If yes I'd say circle the bits you found particularly difficult and write some last minute flash cards of longer answers (basically learn the markscheme for a few) because knowing how to answer then could bag you 12 ish marks in the paper assuming there's a couple of long ones. If no look at the mark schemes for the long ones.

Alsooo I always go over the specification the night before highlighting annoying I don't want there to be a question on and then looking over it- finding any q's in the past. Papers.

Lol dunno if it will pay off!

Anyway:
STARCH is a storage polysaccharide in plants. It's made up of AMYLOSE and AMYLOPECTIN. It's insoluble so does not affect the water potential of a cell and forms granules.

AMYLOSE is made up of alpha glucose. It forms a helical structure. It is a straight chained molecule of 1-6 glycosidic bonds. It is insoluble.

AMYLOPECTIN is also made up of alpha glucose. But it is a branched molecule, with 1-6 glycosidic bonds and 1-4 glycosidic bonds. Apparently it's soluble- according to Wikipedia and also apparently it's 70% of starch so I'm not really sure why starch is insoluble all together, but hey I'm just gonna accept it- anyone?

GLYCOGEN is the animal equivalent of starch- store of glucose. Similar molecule to amylopectin it is a highly branched alpha glucose polysaccharide with 1-6 and 1-4 glycosidic bonds. When talking about function remember its insoluble, doesn't affect water potential of cell and glucose monomers can easily be broken off by hydrolysis reactions and respired to release energy. Also it's a dense energy store.
X

HUH? i thought amylose is made up of 1-4 gycosidic bonds? *pulls at hair* I'm so not prepared
Reply 1211
Original post by Rick_095
I've been revising simply from the CGP revision guide, but I've noticed that the official Heinemann textbook has quite a bit more detail. Is everything I need to know covered in the CGP guide, or should I get started on the Heinemann textbook?

I am scared now , i have used cgp too :s-smilie:

Same I did all of the past papers and the spec notes! But the content is so large I feel like I don't know enough :/

lol it's okay

Carbon monoxide combines with heamoglobin to form carboxyheamoglobin which disallows there to be enough oxygen for the cardiac muscle causing a heart attack.
It also means that their heart rate will rise and they feel more fatigue

CO damages the lining of the arteries which makes it more difficult to breath as the smooth muscle is enlarged and this encourages there to be fatty deposits on the arteries - narrower lumen - artheroma

You don't have to ask me a question after this one...I think it's time I call it a day:smile:

Here's yours though,

How does speciation occur?
Reply 1213
some help on the immune response please
i`m confused with action of T and B lymphocytes
Reply 1214
Original post by ssflcb

Same, i used CGP and my text book, don't worry i'm pretty sure almost everything is covered in CGP, but maybe not always to the amount of detail needed
Well let's just hope it's nothing like the June 2012 exam, good luck everyone :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1216
Original post by ssflcb

Same here, if you look into the Heinemann book there is so much for each section.
Amylose has 1,4 bonds not 1,6 bonds

Pahaha awks thanks!
Reply 1218
Original post by Rick_095
Same here, if you look into the Heinemann book there is so much for each section.

I dont think i can learn anymore though :s-smilie: :frown: :frown:
Original post by ssflcb
I dont think i can learn anymore though :s-smilie: :frown: :frown:

I've only used the CGP and scored an A in the mock. The Textbook includes some stuff that is not relevant, hence why its quite thick haha. :smile:

Good luck to Everyone Tomorrow!

Latest

Trending

Trending