The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Magenta96
might as well answer, as it helps me revise as well as you. :smile:

Basically for the transpiration question, water evaporates first from the surface of the leaves which lowers the water potential of the leaves. This causes water to be pulled up the xylem by tension and all the water molecules cohesively stick together due to hydrogen bonding. Also, the water molecules are in adhesion with xylem walls which creates a single water column. This is the cohesion-tension theory.

In regards to the potometer question, it's about the air bubble moving inside the tube. So the shoot is dispensed in water and as it transpires water is pulled up the xylem so the bubble will move towards the xylem, so to calculate the rate of water uptake you'd do calculate the distance and surface area of the leaves. To make sure the potometer investigation is reliable though you have to make sure all the apparatus is sealed, there are no air bubbles and that the shoot is placed in water. All the leaves also need to be dry. The investigation might not be an accurate indicator though of water uptake because the apparatus might not have been sealed, air bubbles might have been present in the xylem vessel and some water is lost during photosynthesis. Hope that helps. :smile:

Thanks a lot really appreciate it!!

btw is the xylem vessel the same as the capillary tube?
Heading to bed now!

Good luck tomorrow everyone, may the odds be ever in your favour :yep::mmm::yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Batensoda, they both branch off one common ancestor, very close relationship...
(Does AQA make up these names?? :P)

Glad I could help
Mochokus niloticus, because it branched off first which means that other catfish evolved from it a long time ago.
Guys why do we use partial pressure of oxygen instead of using concentration of oxygen?
Reply 2965
Original post by anonymousecheese
what is the difference between the casparian strip and the endodermis:cry:

The casparian strip is the point at which the apoplast pathway reverts to the symplast pathway as the cell walls are blocked by the waxy strip.

The endodermis is a layer in root hair cells, between the xylem and the cortex.
Reply 2966
Original post by anonymousecheese
very much appreciated

:p:p:tongue:
is the june 2009 paper the earliest past paper? I can't seem to find the jan 2009....does anyone have it? :smile:
Oh I think my answer might have been wrong then :colondollar:
Reply 2969
How do you ensure that the potometer is air tight - i thought if you are cutting the leaf inside the potometer isn't there going to be some space for air to enter - how do you make sure it is air tight?
Is it true if you have no cohesive tension force, transpiration would not occur?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lorobolorolo
Glad I could help
Mochokus niloticus, because it branched off first which means that other catfish evolved from it a long time ago.

Thanks alot!! :biggrin:
Original post by Linked
How do you ensure that the potometer is air tight - i thought if you are cutting the leaf inside the potometer isn't there going to be some space for air to enter - how do you make sure it is air tight?

Cut leafy shoot under water :tongue:
Original post by Camellama
is the june 2009 paper the earliest past paper? I can't seem to find the jan 2009....does anyone have it? :smile:

June 2009 is the earliest :smile:
Reply 2974
Can somebody please just go over what we need to know about cancer for the exam? D:
This one hasn't come up before so just thought I'd remind all:

How DNA is adapted to carry out its functions:

- Stable so can pass from generation to generation without change
- 2 strands joined by Hydrogen bonds - easily seperated during DNA replication/protein synthesis
- large molecule so carries large amount of genetic info
- deoxyribose-phosphate backbone protects it from chemical/physical forces.
Reply 2976
Original post by annaelizabet
Cut leafy shoot under water :tongue:

Reply 2977
If you remove leaves - I understand that fewer stomata and smaller surface area reduce transpiration rate - but how is there a less cohesion/tension force?
Original post by jemo9
Can somebody please just go over what we need to know about cancer for the exam? D:

Cancer is uncontrolled cell divison caused by a mutation in the gene which controls mitosis. I'm not sure if we need to know any more than this, because it was in unit 1.
Original post by Linked
If you remove leaves - I understand that fewer stomata and smaller surface area reduce transpiration rate - but how is there a less cohesion/tension force?

If there is less transpiration that means that less water is evaporating. Therefore less water is being pulled up by cohesion-tension force as u don't need to pull up a lot of water anymore. Did that make sense :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending