The Student Room Group

Post your best photograph

Scroll to see replies

Original post by seafairy
CSC_0561.jpgSecluded tour of the Great Wall, I miss travelling :/

This is Amazing!!
Original post by Rish7
Oh wow! Thank you! :colondollar:

I'll be completely honest and say that it comes with time. So long as you have an eye for what can make a good photograph (subject, composition, angle etc.) you have all the tools you need to take good photographs!

Just grab a camera and explore! There's so much out there, and when/if you dive into the world of macro photography everyday objects become whole new experiences.

If I was to give advice to anyone it would be to practice a lot, get to know your camera and figure out what kind of photography you enjoy the most. Then all you need to do is go out and experiment. It really does come naturally after a while. :smile:

You need to be comfortable with your camera, to the point where it becomes an extension of you. Play about with different settings if you have an SLR (aperture/shutter-speeds etc.) and ideas will start to blossom inside your head.

Thankyou So Much! Seriously Appreciated (:
Reply 4162
Original post by MyNameIsTaken :(
Thankyou So Much! Seriously Appreciated (:

No worries :smile:

One thing I forgot to mention is take as many photographs as you can. So long as you have a sufficiently large memory card keep snapping away because it's all too easy to miss the moment. A lot of great photographs involve perfect timing, and in all honesty it's near impossible to achieve at will.

So take as many as you can whilst you can, because you can always delete them later but once a moment passes it's gone forever.

Best of luck! Hope to see some images from you soon!
Original post by Rish7
One thing I forgot to mention is take as many photographs as you can. So long as you have a sufficiently large memory card keep snapping away because it's all too easy to miss the moment. A lot of great photographs involve perfect timing, and in all honesty it's near impossible to achieve at will.

So take as many as you can whilst you can, because you can always delete them later but once a moment passes it's gone forever.

I disagree partly.

Just 'firing' continuously can be quite impedimental when it comes to developing 'the eye' - rather just take your time, think about composition, the light etc. The 'I can take as many pictures as I want and decide later' mentality makes you not spend a second thought on what you're doing and that you actually shouldn't!

This of cause doesn't apply to certain situations involving moving objects etc. :wink:
Reply 4164
Original post by Sir Fox
I disagree partly.

Just 'firing' continuously can be quite impedimental when it comes to developing 'the eye' - rather just take your time, think about composition, the light etc. The 'I can take as many pictures as I want and decide later' mentality makes you not spend a second thought on what you're doing and that you actually shouldn't!

This of cause doesn't apply to certain situations involving moving objects etc. :wink:

That's fair enough, I should have said it's more to do with spur of the moment shots for example wildlife. It's far too east to miss a moment and you spend hours ruing a missed opportunity. For the most part I spend a while considering the factors like lighting/angle and then taking a few and choosing from the best of them. I rarely get it right first time.
Reply 4165
A set of pics from my last show:

8907822889_83e826b27a_o.jpg
8907356387_f68816efce_o.jpg
8907843069_a47d94c31c_z.jpg
8907822213_f1bb44ce7c_z.jpg
8908550538_4606586299_o.jpg
Original post by Rish7
No worries :smile:

Best of luck! Hope to see some images from you soon!

Thats very true, it took me a while to notice that. I'm more into fantasy photography. I take still photos of for instance romantic elements and edit away (:
Reply 4167
Thats very true, it took me a while to notice that. I'm more into fantasy photography. I take still photos of for instance romantic elements and edit away (:

Sounds interesting! Completely away from my field of interest so it'd be lovely to see some examples! *hint hint* :h:
Reply 4168
I'm fairly new to DSLR Photography so don't hurt me :^_^: Should I start using Flickr?

IMAG0361.jpg

Taking a negative photo of a phone taking a negative photo. Not my original idea, but it's quite funky.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by G8D
Alright.

:lol:

Tapatalk fail.
Original post by Roryyb
I'm fairly new to DSLR Photography so don't hurt me :^_^: Should I start using Flickr?

Definitely start using Flickr, I've been on there for 3 years and it's really helped me to learn new photography skills, try out new things, and visit new places which I wouldn't have otherwise known about.
You're photos are also a stunner! Like how do you go buy getting such detail? (:

It took time, time to grasp the skill.

I use a DSLR (Nikon D90 for first three images, Nikon D50 for fourth) alongsid 50mm f/1.8, 18-55mm, 70-300mm and 24-70mm lenses.

Learning things like aperture, shutter speeds and ISO really helped me, and I also shoot in RAW so that the image preserves all the data it captures.

I edit using Adobe Lightroom 3, I don't do much to my images but editing definitely helps.
Original post by megantrace
It took time, time to grasp the skill.

I use a DSLR (Nikon D90 for first three images, Nikon D50 for fourth) alongsid 50mm f/1.8, 18-55mm, 70-300mm and 24-70mm lenses.

Learning things like aperture, shutter speeds and ISO really helped me, and I also shoot in RAW so that the image preserves all the data it captures.

I edit using Adobe Lightroom 3, I don't do much to my images but editing definitely helps.

Thanks for the tips mate! Greatly appreciated :biggrin:
Reply 4174
Took this in Florence, Italy. An absolutely beautiful place to visit! :smile:
IMG_1882.jpg

Took this second one on my way out of Italy
IMG_1792.jpg

EDIT:
Question- how do I add the photos as full images as people have done before in this thread? I only know how to add them as attachments which appear as small icons people have to click on :confused:
Thanks!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Hackett
This is Amazing!!

Thank you :colondollar:
I quite like the new Nat geo site http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/ I'm getting bred of flickr,, it's really hard to get your work appreciated :frown:

http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/profile/164680/
(edited 10 years ago)
I prefer 500px over Flickr now - it's far better!
Reply 4178
This is the shot I'm proudest of at the moment.
resistancepoorres.jpg
Check out my other stuff on flickr and 500px
Just back from travelling South Africa so have a few new favorite photos!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending