The Student Room Group

D2 6th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by knowledgecorruptz
Holy ****, has anyone tried the D2 Practice Paper B?

I mean, what on earth!? The LP question is unbalanced. so you have to turn everything into inequalities?

And then the dynamic programming question is impossible? Honestly, did anyone here get that one correct?

I did it a couple of weeks ago and it seemed fine, messed up on simplex but that was because of me not double checking the calculation :tongue: what was wrong with the dynamic programming question? :colondollar:

Mark scheme for question 5 seems wrong though now that i look back at it :confused:
Original post by Lilmzbest
I did it a couple of weeks ago and it seemed fine, messed up on simplex but that was because of me not double checking the calculation :tongue: what was wrong with the dynamic programming question? :colondollar:

Mark scheme for question 5 seems wrong though now that i look back at it :confused:

I agree on question 5, there's definitely so dominance going on here :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Seriously? The dynamic programming went right over my head. I think I've got it now but I really hope we can just take it from a graph. Or they start us off.

Admittedly the rest of it was just silly mistakes but the simplex went on for AGES. Usually it's one iteration. And yeah, the mark scheme seems to be answering a different question entirely for 5.

Yeah, for question 5 are they answering a completely different question?

Edit: Don't worry, just looked at post above and someone else said the same thing :tongue:.
Reply 164
Why does converting a network into a complete network of least distances mean that the classical and practical problems are the same?
Original post by Mallika
Why does converting a network into a complete network of least distances mean that the classical and practical problems are the same?

Classical = Visiting each vertex only once. Practical = Visiting each vertex at least once. If you have a classical problem, then you also have a practical problem.

The reason it gets converted to a classical problem is because the algorithms used visit each vertex only once. Nearest neighbour starts at a vertex, visits every other vertex once only and returns to the start.

However, finding a lower bound by using RMST + 2 smallest arcs doesn't give you a classical problem - that is why they say it is not a viable solution. This is also why when dealing with inequalities, it is strict with respect to the lower bound, but inclusive of the upper bound.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 166
Original post by mathswiz:)
I agree on question 5, there's definitely so dominance going on here :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Seriously? The dynamic programming went right over my head. I think I've got it now but I really hope we can just take it from a graph. Or they start us off.

Admittedly the rest of it was just silly mistakes but the simplex went on for AGES. Usually it's one iteration. And yeah, the mark scheme seems to be answering a different question entirely for 5.

Original post by brittanna
Yeah, for question 5 are they answering a completely different question?

Edit: Don't worry, just looked at post above and someone else said the same thing :tongue:.

Can i ask what everyone got for that? I got p = 4/11 and value = -2/11 ... dunno if it's right though :tongue:
Reply 167
Original post by smith50
I was stuck on the same question check post 129 on the previous page someone kindly drew a diagram :smile:
Smith

i still don't get it, if you have the time can you put a explanation to what he has done, thanks
Can i ask what everyone got for that? I got p = 4/11 and value = -2/11 ... dunno if it's right though :tongue:

Yep, same here.

Yeah, I got the same as well. It wasn't really a very good paper though as there weren't any proper Hungarian or transportation problem questions.
Reply 170
Yep, same here.

Yeah, I got the same as well. It wasn't really a very good paper though as there weren't any proper Hungarian or transportation problem questions.

Awesome, lol i've just started ignoring mark schemes lately, they all seem to have mistakes :tongue:

Yeah the practice papers seem to focus on too much formulating linear programming and not enough actual questions :tongue:
Reply 171
Could someone give me examples of a travelling salesman problem and network flows please :smile:
Thanks,
Smith
Awesome, lol i've just started ignoring mark schemes lately, they all seem to have mistakes :tongue:

Yeah the practice papers seem to focus on too much formulating linear programming and not enough actual questions :tongue:

For dynamic programming, can they ever ask us minimax/ maximin questions from a table, or will they only do that with a network. I really hope we get a network rather than a table in our exam though!
Original post by smith50
Could someone give me examples of a travelling salesman problem and network flows please :smile:
Thanks,
Smith

Do you mean real life examples, or practice questions?
Reply 174
Do you mean real life examples, or practice questions?

real life problems :smile:
Smith
Original post by smith50
real life problems :smile:
Smith

For network flows, I usually say you can model cars moving through a one way traffic system. Or water flowing though a network of pipes.

For travelling salesman, I guess something like if an inspector wants to travel fro his office to several different restaurants in the shortest time possible and return to wherever his office is based.
Reply 176
For dynamic programming, can they ever ask us minimax/ maximin questions from a table, or will they only do that with a network. I really hope we get a network rather than a table in our exam though!

They can ask minimax/maximin from a table? i thought it was always from a network :colondollar:
They can ask minimax/maximin from a table? i thought it was always from a network :colondollar:

I'm not sure. But in the textbook on the last point of the summary box, it says:

You can use dynamic programming to solve minimax and maximin problems presented in network and table form :s-smilie:.
Reply 178
I'm not sure. But in the textbook on the last point of the summary box, it says:

You can use dynamic programming to solve minimax and maximin problems presented in network and table form :s-smilie:.

Oh...hmm i shall have to go trawling through old papers to try and find one of these questions, can't find any in the book :s-smilie:

...Am i being stupid because i can't even get my head around how that would work? :tongue:
Oh...hmm i shall have to go trawling through old papers to try and find one of these questions, can't find any in the book :s-smilie:

...Am i being stupid because i can't even get my head around how that would work? :tongue:

I don't think I've seen one either, but i'm just hoping it doesn't come up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending