The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1240
Original post by wndms
Help please! For haemoglobin, how many polypeptide subunits are there? Are we supposed to know?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are 2 different types of subunit with 2 subunits each - 4 in total
Good luck everyone!
Reply 1242
Please help me on lymphocytes!

T lymphocytes have receptors
B lymphocytes have receptors and antibodies.

Is this correct? Or is receptor = antibody?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wndms
Please help me on lymphocytes!

T lymphocytes have receptors
B lymphocytes have receptors and antibodies.

Is this correct? Or is receptor = antibody?

Posted from TSR Mobile

they both have receptors, but with B cells, plasma divides (by mitosis?) into b memory and antibodies

i think
most likely topics anyone
suggest why the resistance of mrsa to existing antibiotics is of major concern to humans? :/
Original post by Legal drugdealer
most likely topics anyone

honestly don't know but this is what I think (and hope for mostly)
Water
inhibitors and enzymes
DNA replications and RNA transcription
links of smoking to one disease
immune system
Insitu/exsitu
sampling
Original post by PreppyNinja
suggest why the resistance of mrsa to existing antibiotics is of major concern to humans? :/

MRSA might become untreatable because no anitbiotics can combat it. This could mean it could spread in pandemic proportions leading to many people dying. It takes a lot of time and a lot of money to develop new antibiotics.
Reply 1248
Original post by milworthy
Water
inhibitors and enzymes
immune system
Insitu/exsitu
sampling

I agree with most of these. Water has only come up twice, smoking has not come up thatt much. Also long immune question has not come up- I will cry in the exam if it does :frown: oh and also ex situ and insitu, I totally agree. Perhaps the advantages and disadvantages?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ladybug.hugsxoxo
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1370207984.780908.jpgGuys could someone answer the (ii) question for me -.-

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'd say routine handwashing with antibacterial soap at frequent intervals, & quarenteening any infected individuals to minimalise contact and therefore transmission of mrsa to other individuals :smile:
Water
inhibitors and enzymes
immune system
Insitu/exsitu
sampling

Sampling! :O That is my weakest point there.

To add to that list (And based on what came up on 2013)

* Benedict test.
* TB
*Domain and Kingdom
*Natural selection.

I am too tired to think of more.

MRSA might become untreatable because no anitbiotics can combat it. This could mean it could spread in pandemic proportions leading to many people dying. It takes a lot of time and a lot of money to develop new antibiotics.

Thanks! :biggrin: Makes sense now
Reply 1251
Original post by Minz
I agree with most of these. Water has only come up twice, smoking has not come up thatt much. Also long immune question has not come up- I will cry in the exam if it does :frown: oh and also ex situ and insitu, I totally agree. Perhaps the advantages and disadvantages?

Posted from TSR Mobile

do you think Darwin's 4 theories might come up?
Original post by cyiarik
do you think Darwin's 4 theories might come up?

That would be great for me if it does. Have they ever asked that?
Btw last minute.

Two questions:

How does bacteria spoil food?

and

Outline selective breeding/progeny testing.
can anyone share the jan 2013 paper and mark scheme please? :smile:
Reply 1255
Original post by chloemily
[INDENT]With regards to antibodies and their actions, my notes and different textbooks have different explanations of Neutralisation; some say that it's the antibodies binding to the toxins released by the pathogens to neutralise their effect, but other books say it's the binding of the antibodies to the antigens in order to prevent them binding to cells in the body and therefore neutralising them. Which is correct?[/INDENT]

I am sure that the second textbook is a third function in a way!
I know it as it, anyway. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PreppyNinja
Btw last minute.

Two questions:

How does bacteria spoil food?

and

Outline selective breeding/progeny testing.

Bacteria reproduce and so there are many bacterai. They release enzymes which break down parts of the food such as proteins to amino acids, and they release toxins as well, making the food go mushy and change in smell and colour.

I don;t know about pyogeny testing never heard of it

But slective breeding involves choosing organisms with the best characteristics (such as good mothering skills in cattle and high meat content) and getting them to interbreed. From the offspring you can then choose the best offspring again and repeat this process over many generations so that the allelle frequency of the characteristic you want increases in the population.
Just wanted to say good luck to everyone :biggrin:
Reply 1258
Do you guys think stuff on carbohydrates, amino acids/proteins, and lipids will come up quite a lot?
Also, which one do you reckon is better to cover thoroughly right now, module 2 or module 3?
Well good luck to everyone tomorrow, hopefully the paper won't be too hard on us :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending