Original post by razza!
Collagen:
Polypeptide Chain
35% (approx) Glycine
Fibrous Protein
3 strands linked together with Hydrogen bonds as cross-links
Covalent bonds between separate collagen molecules
As for function:
Used in tendons/cartilage/bones are made initially from collagen I think/also used in beauty treatments lol

Cellulose:
B-Glucose Polymer
1,4 glycosidic bonds #covalent
Arranged into micro, then macrofibrils
Function:
Strengthen cell walls in plants
Also indigestible by humans as we don't have the correct enzymes #activesite

Sure there's more on cellulose but that's all I can remember at this moment!!

Collagen has covalent bond cross links and the fact that cellulose isn't digestible by humans wouldn't be a function. Collagen is made of amino acids and its in arteries. There's my input haha :smile:
I have done everything I can now (Been awake rereading notes since 4) so I will hope for the best.

What chances are there that enzymes will come up? (I hate coenzymes.) And EIA?
Can anyone tell me how free carbon monoxide in the blood can damage artery walls?
and EIA, all you have to say is assess the biodiversity, identify any rare species and change the planning around to minimise the impact of the construction. Or put steps into place to ensure survival of species.
Reply 1344
Original post by Stacie0395
Collagen has covalent bond cross links and the fact that cellulose isn't digestible by humans wouldn't be a function. Collagen is made of amino acids and its in arteries. There's my input haha :smile:

5 mins of quick research and google has got me to believe there are both hydrogen and covalent bonds between individual polypeptide chains; forming the quaternary structure of the molecule. So we were both right :tongue:
Original post by aliman65
Can anyone tell me how free carbon monoxide in the blood can damage artery walls?

It's the fact that haemoglobin associates with it in preference to oxygen, so there is less oxygen in the blood. The body detects this and heart rate and blood pressure increases - damaging the arterial walls. Also the cells in the arterial wall don't recieve enough oxygen, so become damaged. The damaged wall will lead to atheroschlerosis :smile:
Reply 1346
Lastly guys, could someone outline the kingdoms vs domains for me please

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aliman65

Damages inner linings of the arteries (factors such as high blood pressure increase the damage)
So the damage is repaired by the phagocytes, and this encourages growth of smooth muscle and deposition of fatty substances.
So it causes atherosclerosis (Because of the build up fatty acids)
Good luck everyone! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Quick question

When is RNA polymerase used
Reply 1350
Good luck guys. :-)
Original post by niceguy95
Quick question

When is RNA polymerase used

During protein synthesis, when mRNA is made from a strand of DNA (transcription), Free nucleotides pair up with complementary bases and then they are linked together by RNA polymerase.
Reply 1352
Original post by cab1094
Lastly guys, could someone outline the kingdoms vs domains for me please

Posted from TSR Mobile

Kingdoms:
Animalia, Plantae, Proakryotae, Fungi, Protoctista
Mostly based on the observable characteristics of organisms

Domains:
Bacteria, Archaea & Eukaryotae
Based on the molecular evidence that the Archea & Bacteria groups have differing cell membrane, flagella & RNA polymerase structure to each other
Uses evidence such as Cytochrome C structure and DNA/RNA composition
How you think it go guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yasmin.mahfouz
How you think it go guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile

was the paper harder or easier than thE Jan 2013? did it have lots of biodiversity
I didn't do any past papers, lol, but I am dropping biology regardless of the grade. Having spent the whole of yesterday revising from the cgp guide, I liked it :smile:
Original post by Salamanderf
I didn't do any past papers, lol, but I am dropping biology regardless of the grade. Having spent the whole of yesterday revising from the cgp guide, I liked it :smile:

was the paper harder or easier than thE Jan 2013? did it have lots of biodiversity
Reply 1357
There were so many suggest question!!!! It got me full of doubts

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by otrivine

I didn't do any past papers- like I said :P
Which one was the phagocyte. I had no clue put B :L
Other than that I thought it was a nice paper. quite straightforward when compared to last years June 2012 f212 which was disgusting.

Latest