The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1620
Original post by Liamnut
Welp, I just spoke about phagocytosis :3 I'm stuffed.

I probs read it wrong ahaha
Reply 1621
Original post by Liamnut
For the one where you had to draw H bonds, I drew two between A and T and three between C and G. I labeled them H-bonds, but I'm worried because I just put H-bond.

No don't worry. You shouldn't need labels sinces your lines are correct. Its self explanatory as the question said hydrogen bonds :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LostPlanet2Luke
Join the club. I completely BOMBED out on these 3 easy marks.
I could probably get a PhD in enzyme-substrate stuff xD But the pressure of the exam hall completely threw me. SUCH easy marks but the context was dodgy for me.

Same here, I know every minute detail about them but when it came to it I completely flopped and wrote bs about alcohol groups and hydrogen bonding :/
Talked about primary,secondary,tertiary structure lightly but then said 3 polypeptide chains and all that so I think I've covered everything there

Posted from TSR Mobile
How many marks would this be for collagen?

Fibrous Protein
Close packing
3 polypeptide chains
Covalent bonds at adjacent triple helix
Insolube
No prothetic group
For the phagocyte part I wrote

After pathogen attaches to phagocyte, the flexible membrane of the phagocyte surrounds and engulfs the pathogen into a phagosome by endocytisis. Then lysosommes move and fuse to phagosome and release digestive enzymes (lysis) by exocytisis. The pathogen us then broken down and the harmless products are digested and absorb.

At this point I'd only covered half the page and thought is too little

and then spoke about antibodies
Phagocyte places antigens on its surface, the bind the antibodies on b-Lymphocyes causing Clonal selection and then Clonal expansion. Divides by mitosis into plasma cells and memory cells, plasma cell produce antibodies complementary in shape to antigens on invading pathogen, bind forming antigen antibody complexes (neutralisation and aggulation) signals immune response to destroy pathogen

So hopefully I get all the marks :smile:
What did everyone put for the question about reasons why crop yield varied? I put changing weather patterns and more/less pests
Reply 1627
Original post by Minz
So, what about the 7 marker on selective breeding to get disease resistant crops and then precautions of selective breeding.

What did people write about precautions and how to reduce implications of selective breeding?
Seed banks, botanical gardens? Or do you think they were looking for something else?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I wrote about interbreeding with different species and also keeping a variety of different types of potato so that they don't all get wiped out by a single disease
Reply 1628
Original post by aliman65
Way too many ecological questions. Also way too many questions that were unclear what you needed to answer, especially the first question (primary structure is what I put down but it could have been protein or polypeptide also).

I agree, very misleading!! I also put primary structure though so hopefully they'll accept! But you know what ocr are like -.-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by theCreator
I put because grey squirrels are in plain sight more often since they are mostly on the ground. Then I also put they may have counted some squirrels twice.

I don't think red squirrels come out at night...Squirrels aren't nocturnal.

The question gave you all you needed to know.

1. Red squirrels are more frightened of people than grey squirrels, so they run away and are not spotted.
2. Red squirrels live in trees so are not seen as often as grey squirrels.
3. Grey squirrels are larger than red squirrels and so are easier to spot and report.

This was all stated in the question.
Reply 1630
Original post by Sam_1996
Did you guys get around 0.6366 (or something like that) for the diversity index.

YAAAY! :five:
Original post by lauren1brown
6 marks for structure of collagen? Anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. three polypeptides twisted in a rope like shape
2. hydrogen bonds, ionic, hydrophobic interactions and disulphide bridges
3.fibrils (possibly)
4. 35% glycine
5. no prosthetic group?
Original post by Sam_1996
What would this definition of biodiversity get?
The variety of living organism within and area.The range of habitats and species

I put the range of living organisms in an environment. It includes the number of species, the relative abundance of individuals in each species and all of the different habitats in which they live.

I should get at least one mark :-/
Reply 1633
Original post by milworthy
What did everyone put for the question about reasons why crop yield varied? I put changing weather patterns and more/less pests

Should be fine, I put climate and availability of nutrients
Original post by Munrot07
It was a good paper :smile: A lot came up that I thought would come up, DNA was expected though the wonderful semi conservative DNA experiment that isn't in the book came up :P love it. No hard questions, some questions will have confused candidates on wording and I can see lots of people getting a few 1/2 or 2/3. As usual the biodiversity required some thought but mainly common sense and the long questions were a bit mean, 7 marks for selective breeding, bit harsh :P how did you find it :smile:

Think I did fine. Agree with you on the selective breeding. Didn't get where the 7 marks were credited. I just waffled on... I hardly did any revision on Conservation and Evolution! Thank god they didn't have much on it!
Original post by MedMed12
1. three polypeptides twisted in a rope like shape
2. hydrogen bonds, ionic, hydrophobic interactions and disulphide bridges
3.fibrils (possibly)
4. 35% glycine
5. no prosthetic group?

I didn't out 35% glycine, I just put 35% of the molecule is made of the same amino acid.
Original post by MarkProbio
The question gave you all you needed to know.

1. Red squirrels are more frightened of people than grey squirrels, so they run away and are not spotted.
2. Red squirrels live in trees so are not seen as often as grey squirrels.
3. Grey squirrels are larger than red squirrels and so are easier to spot and report.

This was all stated in the question.

depends if it says refer to info or not
if it ddint im sure they are acceptable as well as others
Original post by Saif95
YAAAY! :five:

However did you put all your figures to the decimal places on the stated figures - that's a mark I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BioGeek
You must write Mycobacterium tuberuclosis underlined.

Nah, thats what i thought as it says in the OCR book that it must be underlined. But in marks schemes, it seems that that is not a requirement. My teacher confirmed that this was the case
Reply 1639
Original post by milworthy

They should be fine! :smile: I also put weather patterns. And I said about nutrient/mineral levels in the soil might be decreased from previous crops

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending