The Student Room Group

AQA HIS3K - Triumph and Collapse: Russia and the USSR 1941-1991. 03/06/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by rosie66
I did the same questions! not sure I answered one in the right way it was such a strange way to ask the question :/ not sure about 3 either really because it was "industrial development" rather than economy

Yes, I completely agree! I found the wording really odd :frown:I did questions 1 and 3 too, I really wanted to avoid Gorbachev. I wish the Khrushchev one hadn't been focused on dissatisfaction in the party, that made it seem so much more confusing. I'm pleased it's over though, even though it was really hard!
Reply 21
Original post by arnoob
For question 1 I structured my paragraphs as political, economic, social and other. I mentioned Khrushchev policies and mentioned how the party opposed him. Yeah, for question 3 I nearly fell into the trap of writing about agriculture too, when it was clearly only about industry. My main focus was on Brezhnev for that question.

:/ for question one i put the party was dissatisfied; put his ousting undermined....Brezhnevs reversal of his policies in 1964 and the anti party conspiracy 1957

then against it i put that he was undermined from abroad (china and Hungary) and then that he undermined it himself with bold statements he couldnt meet....i really am not sure now :/
i managed to get most of them into the third one....oh well
Reply 22
I answered the 2 depth, I've never been a fan of breadth.

For question 1, I said the dissatisfaction of the Communist Party undermined Khrushchev, but also his policy of Destalinization and also his failures within the economy, but ultimately it all came down to Destalinization as all of his Party, economic, foreign. etc reforms were all encapsulated in the Secret Speech and the move away from Stalinism.

For question 2, I did 3 factors once again - the actions of the Communist hardliners, the nationalist tensions and the actions of the younger, more reforming members of the Party, in the last section I managed to incorporate Gorbachev's own actions i.e. political reforms which took power away from himself, e.g. Congress of People's Deputies, elected presidency of Yeltsin etc.

Could have been better but I'm fairly happy, there's no way I could have done that breadth in 45 minutes, there's a huge amount for industry!
Original post by rosie66
:/ for question one i put the party was dissatisfied; put his ousting undermined....Brezhnevs reversal of his policies in 1964 and the anti party conspiracy 1957

then against it i put that he was undermined from abroad (china and Hungary) and then that he undermined it himself with bold statements he couldnt meet....i really am not sure now :/
i managed to get most of them into the third one....oh well

This is how I did mine for question one(as far as I can remember)
Intro- Party was dissatisfied and led to downfall
Politics- Compared to Stalin/Collective leadership,1956 Speech, Anti Party Coup, a bit of decentralisation, Hungary 56, Ousting... Can't remember the rest
Economic-Virgin Lands,De-centralisation, 5 Year Plans, party split into regional ministries
Social- The Thaw, less repression, intellectuals(shostakovich, solzhenitsyn)
Other - Cuba 62, relations with Mao
Conclusion
Of course I linked them all back to the question but not for all my points, I think it's muddled up a bit in terms of structure :/
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by arnoob
This is how I did mine for question one(as far as I can remember)
Intro- Party was dissatisfied and led to downfall
Politics- Compared to Stalin/Collective leadership,1956 Speech, Anti Party Coup, a bit of decentralisation, Hungary 56, Ousting... Can't remember the rest
Economic-Virgin Lands,De-centralisation, 5 Year Plans, party split into regional ministries
Social- The Thaw, less repression, intellectuals(shostakovich, solzhenitsyn)
Other - Cuba 62, relations with Mao
Conclusion
Of course I linked them all back to the question but not for all my points, I think it's muddled up a bit in terms of structure :/

that sounds good!
we will all just have to hope that the markers are nice
Original post by rosie66
that sounds good!
we will all just have to hope that the markers are nice

I certainly hope so :redface:
They better be :angry:
Reply 26
Original post by arnoob
For question 1 I structured my paragraphs as political, economic, social and other. I mentioned Khrushchev policies and mentioned how the party opposed him. Yeah, for question 3 I nearly fell into the trap of writing about agriculture too, when it was clearly only about industry. My main focus was on Brezhnev for that question.

I did question 1 and 2, it seems a bit like a blur, for 1 I did how the communist party may be dissatisfied with his policy becuase of its failures socially and economically vs Krushchev's personality and rashness that really undermined his regieme's credibility mainly highlighting foreign policy. Gorbachev one I think I went something along the line of the problems politically and economically where just coming to a head from the stagnation and that the conservatives only exacerbated the instability. The nomenklatura was always going to provoke instability when a reformer came in....ahh well it's all over now. Not sure how I went along but i'm glad I stayed away from question 3, that seemed like a right stinker.
Reply 27
Original post by arnoob
Yeah, for question 3 I nearly fell into the trap of writing about agriculture too, when it was clearly only about industry.

I'm almost positive you weren't supposed to only discuss industry!? I discussed the successes and failures of industrial development across the period, then discussed how these successes and failures came about as a root of political and social issues. I also compared the industrial successes against the failures in agriculture. Synoptic questions may have a focus, but we were taught to link the focal point to all other strands and show how they are linked. I can't see how you could have spent 45 minutes writing exclusively about industry. I put the statistics in, mentioned whether or not industry was a priority, then moved into the other factors. There simply wasn't that much to write on industry alone if you knew the statistical evidence to support the statement?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Hi
I hope you all got what you wanted this summer. I am currently studying this module and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on both the exam and the coursework element of the A2 syllabus. I am aiming for an A/A*. How much wider reading did you all do for the exam? Two 45 mark questions seem rather daunting!

Many thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending