The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Munrot07
The biology grade boundaries are never that high, i'm thinking between 70-75 depending on how well people wrong the answers :smile: hoping for lower obviously :P

Very true actually :smile: but the paper was quite easy .. I hope it's 70ish because I counted about 80 marks :smile:
Original post by GirlWithADream
What was the answer for;
Why are phagocytes in non-specific response? (or whatever it said)
I said that phagocytes aren't specific to pathogens because they dont have surface receptors that are complementary to the shape of the pathogen's antigens. Am I right?
And is my spelling of complementary correct? Or is it complimentary?

I put that they aren't specific to anitgens, they engluf and digest all pathogens.

what did you say about the secondary response one?
Original post by lucindaellaaa
This exam was so wonderful, I loved how many biological molecules questions there was. Drawing an Amino Acid; easy marks; the collagen and haemoglobin question was class too! :smile: And the DNA/RNA questions. The 7 marker on phagocytosis was amazing too, and selective breeding (I wrote about artificial selection too), I think it was an easy paper tbh! DEG And Ethanol was a good question, i think a few people got confused about the fact it was an Enzyme. The last question too, with the classification and phylenology, it was lovely.
Btw, did you guys put C and B for the phagocytes? I think you'll need both.
#Thirdtimelucky :smile:
I think the grade boundaries will be really high tbh.

It was a decent paper but I don't think it was that much easier than any of the recent ones so I reckon max 72 min 68 for an A
Original post by Liberty.
Didn't it point to a blank one? That would be terribly mean of them :frown:

It did point to a blank one but it was bonding to a G so it must have been a C
I wrote about selective breeding for the long term protection of the potato plants but did anyone else put anything about pesticides and chemical drugs for short term protection?
Reply 1825
What was the answer for;
I said that phagocytes aren't specific to pathogens because they dont have surface receptors that are complementary to the shape of the pathogen's antigens. Am I right?

I believe I said they go around the body searching for anything with foreign antigenic material on it and digesting it
What did people write for selective breeding resistance Questions, because there seems to be a bit off confusion
What was the answer for;

I put for the non-specific one that they will engulf/attack any foreign organism in the body, not just a specific pathogen hence why it's non specific. You're right too, but it depends what their looking for :smile: I put complimentary, like Compliment but in the book it has complement so who knows :smile:
Reply 1828
Original post by emilyramsden
I wrote about selective breeding for the long term protection of the potato plants but did anyone else put anything about pesticides and chemical drugs for short term protection?

Yeah I wrote it thinking, I, not going to get any marks for this but oh we'll...hah
Original post by Dr. Django
It was a decent paper but I don't think it was that much easier than any of the recent ones so I reckon max 72 min 68 for an A

I've done the paper three times and this has been the easiest one, but I hope you're right :')
Original post by jackitsme
tb is spread by water droplets and extange of bood fluids...

You're a little bit silly aren't you. We were talking about my low income groups would be at risk of catching TB. Not how TB is spread.

If you don't believe me, go and check the hienman textbook that's endorsed by OCR.
Original post by Munrot07
It did point to a blank one but it was bonding to a G so it must have been a C

I thought they would prefer the picky-ness of the nitrogenous in nitrogenous base. :colone:
Reply 1832
Original post by PreppyNinja
I made so many silly mistakes today. A lot of easy marks. I think it was because of sleep depravity lol

I forgot to put the R group in the amino acids. I also forgot to put insolubility in collagen. I also put Falciparum for Tb lol
Those are the ones I made.
I hope I do better in Chem

Don't worry about the insolubility, that's not a structure of collagen, that's a property
Original post by MrMeep2580
I put that they aren't specific to anitgens, they engluf and digest all pathogens.

what did you say about the secondary response one?

I said something along the lines of: the phagocytes activate when the pathogens get passed the primary defences such as the skin and mucus, thats why they are "secondary" . I hope this gets me the marks. What did you write?
has anyone got the paper :smile:
Original post by QuantumSuicide
X = nitrogenous base
Y = nucleotide?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not too sure about NITROGENOUS BASE.
They are usually quite anal about that. In a past paper it required THYMINE and IGNORE nitrogenous base.
Reply 1836
Prediction for grade boundries?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr. Django
I put the base, but I'm debating whether you had to as the past past you're referring to asked for the specific name, but this one didn't

wasnt it cytosine?
Original post by Liberty.
I thought they would prefer the picky-ness of the nitrogenous in nitrogenous base. :colone:

What i did is put nitrogenous base - cytosine :smile: and for the second one i put DNA nucleotide just to be safe
Reply 1839
someone please post a full unofficial markscheme??? :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending