The Student Room Group

CCEA English Literature A-Level

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Procrastinator123
Poetry: As Alreidx said themes are really important as we get to pick the poems. So I've basically been linking poems but need a bit of help on some of them? So far:
Old men: man and dog vs an old man's winter night.
Trees: aspens vs Birches or possibly tree at my window (?)
Rural encounters: the new year vs stopping by woods
Contemplation/uncertainty: for once then something vs glory

Let me know if you differ ^ Other than that there are poems that are just have interlinking themes or more than one can be use so I'm a bit confused for some of them? I think it'll be easier for us if we try and work together on this haha

I linked all those poems too! Except I've decided i'll do tree at my window instead of birches because I don't like birches for some reason ha
Original post by carla123
I linked all those poems too! Except I've decided i'll do tree at my window instead of birches because I don't like birches for some reason ha

What methods link with aspens and tree at my window? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alreidx
The poetry question was on "rural life" I decided to go for the wild dog rose and the barn... Not the smartest idea! You get to choose the poems you use, so I suggest you learn the themes really well, as you can't afford to be choosing the wrong poems!!

How's revision going for Gatsby? I regret not properly revising earlier lol too many points to memorise :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
What methods link with aspens and tree at my window? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I linked them in that both speakers sort of see themselves in the trees. Thomas says 'we cannot other than aspen be' with the pronoun sorta suggesting he is an aspen, then Frost almost sees himself in the tree when the statement is reflected, 'tree at my window, window tree.' Then I was thinking for a contrast that the aspens are like stronger, they speak their message even if men, 'need not listen.' Whereas the tree at my window is more vulnerable, 'taken.' That's all i've got really, hope its some use! Can you think of anything else?
I linked them in that both speakers sort of see themselves in the trees. Thomas says 'we cannot other than aspen be' with the pronoun sorta suggesting he is an aspen, then Frost almost sees himself in the tree when the statement is reflected, 'tree at my window, window tree.' Then I was thinking for a contrast that the aspens are like stronger, they speak their message even if men, 'need not listen.' Whereas the tree at my window is more vulnerable, 'taken.' That's all i've got really, hope its some use! Can you think of anything else?

That's really good! I think I'm going to do Aspens and Birches though? Idk, I hardly have any notes on 'TAMW' (eventhough I don't seem to have good notes on anything!)
Trees would be a good theme to come up, I hope it does.
Reply 45
How's revision going for Gatsby? I regret not properly revising earlier lol too many points to memorise :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It going horrible :frown:... I've forgotten so many things! Hoping by seeing the movie will help!! AH! FOUR DAYS TO GO!! You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey! I'm doing Gatsby and Frost/Thomas as well! The poetry has always been a tough one for me, I'm resitting :frown: But I'm hoping contemplation comes up this year. (I use For Once, The Something and Beauty) And for Gatsby I'd love the American Dream or Novel of Manners because you can throw so many context points into both of them!
Reply 47
Lads, what sort of context you got/learning for gatsby? I am clueless.
i am so screwed for this exam, barely know any of the poems and for gatsby i suck at linking the context with the novel in a coherent way :frown:
Original post by alreidx
It going horrible :frown:... I've forgotten so many things! Hoping by seeing the movie will help!! AH! FOUR DAYS TO GO!! You?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by emmasuzanne
i am so screwed for this exam, barely know any of the poems and for gatsby i suck at linking the context with the novel in a coherent way :frown:

Same!! I'm literally cluless :frown:

Original post by CaoimheBoss
Hey! I'm doing Gatsby and Frost/Thomas as well! The poetry has always been a tough one for me, I'm resitting :frown: But I'm hoping contemplation comes up this year. (I use For Once, The Something and Beauty) And for Gatsby I'd love the American Dream or Novel of Manners because you can throw so many context points into both of them!

Those poems are what I hope to use too!! either that or Trees?

Lads, what sort of context you got/learning for gatsby? I am clueless.

I only have vague ideas y'know what I mean? like I know about the American dream/frontiers and all that, bootlegging caused by alcohol prohibition, the flapper girls/new women who were breaking social norms, social class etc but I don't know anything in detail or where to bring it it :frown:

Safe to say I'm screwed guys.
(edited 10 years ago)
Plus, trying to learn a whole book for quotes is proving to be really hard.
I don't mind the context for Gatsby, I just find it hard to but an essay together in a good, structured way for poetry.
Reply 52
I feel a little bit better knowing that there are others sitting this exam feeling as daunted as me..
I cant believe there's only a few days to go, ffs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What kind of questions is everyone guessing will come up?
Reply 55
Original post by CaoimheBoss
What kind of questions is everyone guessing will come up?
. Literally no idea, hopefully something doable :frown:
Anybody got any predictions? I'm doing Montague and Heaney poetry and The Great Gatsby. I'm thinking possibly authority, poetry or love for poetry. and don't know about Gatsby. What yous think? Please help really freaking out have done nothing!!
(edited 10 years ago)
How are you all learning quotes? Tips would be great!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm just learning quotes I've used in essays before, like quotes for each theme and I'm learning as little quotes as I can get away with! Literally only learning about ten or so max.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just using the same quotes again and again when doing practice essays, short and easy to remember ones :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending