The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lucindaellaaa
Did you write about primary, secondary, tertiary and quarternary structure? Most marks will probably come from that, but i think about 3 will come from that I reckon (maybe two as it said there was no prosthetic group on the next question).

Yo do, same question asked the same thing about haemoglobin structure in 2011 I think

It's asked for primary, secondary, teitary, quaternary than the specific like 3 polypeptide Chain and colleges is a protein
Original post by Gotzz
I wrote cytosine. Why are you telling me this?

you were talking about glycine for some reason? up in the thread thats why your being questioned..
Original post by ellie2996
Can someone quickly do a brief run through of all the questions? can't remember them all

1a ) Whats an amino acid chain called
b) Name a property of Collagen
c) Describe the structure of collagen
d) Name a function of Haemoglobin
e) Name 3 differences between haemoglobin and collagen,

2a) Why does alcohol dehydrogenase break down DEG and Ethanol
b) Why does high conc of ethanol in the wine with DEG mean less poisoining.

3a) Which ones are phagocytes
b) Why is it a secondary defence
c) why is is a non specific ....
d) Explain phagocytosis (well it was basically that).

I can't remember the rest of them in order though :frown:
Reply 1863
Original post by smarties94
Yes I put just Mycobacterium too, so glad someone agrees cos I was getting a bit doubtful after everyone was saying specific strains.

is underlining required too?

I don't know what people are talking about when they say underlining, has somebody underlined their answer??
Original post by niceguy95
Yo do, same question asked the same thing about haemoglobin structure in 2011 I think

It's asked for primary, secondary, teitary, quaternary than the specific like 3 polypeptide Chain and colleges is a protein

i wrote one one of the points 3 polypeptide chains(3D tertairy structure) is that right?
The selective breeding 7 marker was a nightmare!
I wrote:
- Cross breed most resistant individuals
-They pass resistant alleles to offspring
-Select offspring with most resistant and crossbreed
-repeat over many generations
Then because the question asked us about how to prevent them all being vulnerable to the same disease in the future /long term
-I wrote that cross breed resistant plants with other types of plants to maintain the gene pool
-Then I talked about keeping the seeds in ex situ {Millenium seed bank} so if they get wiped out/endangered, they can be replanted
-For some reason I talked about the ease/cheap storage of seeds and that they are less viable to disease.
Am I right, and did anyone else write along these lines?
Reply 1866
what did anyone write about why governments want to try and conserve the squirrels ?
Original post by Hello...
I don't know what people are talking about when they say underlining, has somebody underlined their answer??

Because when writing the name according to binomial system you underline if it's handwritten
Reply 1868
Omg I have been thinking cysteine as cytosine for whole of my life. Even when i read over the textbook like 100times. Wtf is wrong with me...? Is this symptoms for dyslexia

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hello...

Technically you're meant to underline or italicise latin names, but OCR don't seem to mind this. I couldn't remember the first bit so I just but M. Bovis (which the text book says.)
Reply 1870
For selective breeding could you of said
To minimise the risk in the future you could introduce new variety of potatoes to increase the gene pool and increase genetic variation.This will cause more varieties of potato.Therefore if a disease out breaks it is unlikely to wipe out all of your crops?

Thanks
Original post by niceguy95

Yeah, thats exactly what I did :smile: I explained the bonds too, you get marks for the bonds (I like studied the haemoglobic question for my first exam ahha).
Then it said say three things different from Haemoglobin and Collagen;
I put Haemoglobin is globular, but collagen is Fibrous.
Haemoglobin has 4 sub units, Collagen has 3.
Haemoglobin consists of 2 alpha and 2 beta, but Collagen has just 3 alphas.
They used the prosthetic group as the example, I was like WHAT R U DOING.:mad:
Original post by ninaowl
what did anyone write about why governments want to try and conserve the squirrels ?

valuble resource( genetic )

effects food web

lots of answers mate :smile:
Why are phagoctyes the secondary immune response? I said because they activate B cells which produce memory cells and that they are faster and produce more antibodies
What was the question to do with glycine..?
Reply 1875
Original post by ninaowl

I wrote that they want to conserve them in their natural environment to permanently protect biodiversity and facilitate scientific research. D;
Anyone put that tb is transmitted by contaminated beef ? I've deffo seen this in a lot of papers previous to this one

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the question about the pathogen, didn't you have to talk about lymphocytes because they also help destroy the pathogen (killer T cells). I wrote nothing about the process of phagocytosis, but wrote about antigen presenting and clonal expansion and differentiation and what they all do and so on........ please anyone??
Reply 1878
Original post by jackitsme
you were talking about glycine for some reason? up in the thread thats why your being questioned..

We were talking about collagen. Every 3rd amino acid is glycine, but me and someone else put cysteine instead. Then someone quoted me about a completely different question about cytosine.
Original post by ellie2996
I wrote for the phagoctyes being non specific that its because they don't actually do it themselves, they just active B and T cells.

Also, how many marks would I have gotten for:

Collagen
3 polypeptide chains
close packing
covalent bonds at adjacent triple helix
insoluble
no prosthetic group

I think we were meant to talk more about the primary, secondary, tertiary and quaternary structure.
Primary = sequence of amino acids held together by peptide bonds.
Secondary = joining of different sequences by hydrogen bonding
Tertiary = the presence of hydrogen bonding, ionic interactions, hydrophobic interactions and disulphide bridges/bonds.
Quaternary = triple helix structure

However, you may well get a few marks for your answer as none of it is incorrect and they you do refer to the structure. So, I reckon you have a reasonable chance of getting 3 or maybe 4 marks :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending