The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by krisshP
For the first 4 questions I think out of the 80 marks for them I'll do okay and drop like 5 marks so long as no stupid mistakes occur, paper is not weird like our unit 1 physics one and mark scheme does not change. But then the advance notice Q5 questions will be annoying and a bomb :frown: and I'll probably loose at max 10 marks :frown:

You?

Just do a summary of each paragraph and since you've done all the past paper questions on the advanced notice you will have sort of an idea of what kinda stuff they ask, right? so just like come up with your own questions, oh and definitely look at storylines.

I'm feeling okay too, other than the advanced notice haha. :frown:
Anyone have a complete list of the compound ions and their charges they expect you to remember?
Original post by Whostolemycookie
Not to well tbh, I'm really tired and so I'm gonna revise for a bit and wake up at 2am and do more work :smile:
Also how did you do the question before, how do you know where the hydrogen bonds are?

That's a good plan haha.

I just know that there are 4 bonds coming off one carbon atom, so I just draw them all in until I get 4 bonds.
Reply 443
Original post by nick d terrier
anyone have a complete list of the compound ions and their charges they expect you to remember?

no3(-)
so4(2-)
co3(2-)
oh-
nh4(+)
hco3(-)

Edit: Dunno why they changed to small letters :s-smilie:
Original post by nukethemaly
That's a good plan haha.

I just know that there are 4 bonds coming off one carbon atom, so I just draw them all in until I get 4 bonds.

Thanks

So the fact carbon can hold 4 bonds, and if it's a double bond that means there is only 2 bonds available to join. Is that correct?
Does anyone know how to put the white sharp calculator into scientific mode? Like so it's all in standard form? :smile:
Reply 446
That's a good plan haha.

Say if they say ozone problems in troposphere?
Ow we say respiratory diseases or respiratory problems or breathing difficulties or what? They are really annoying with their mark schemes.
Original post by nick d terrier
Anyone have a complete list of the compound ions and their charges they expect you to remember?

These ones. they're on page 12 of the official revision guide.
Thanks

So the fact carbon can hold 4 bonds, and if it's a double bond that means there is only 2 bonds available to join. Is that correct?

Yep! :biggrin:
Original post by krisshP
Say if they say ozone problems in troposphere?
Ow we say respiratory diseases or respiratory problems or breathing difficulties or what? They are really annoying with their mark schemes.

In the revision guide it says "breathing problems" but I don't remember exactly what it says in the mark scheme, I'll double check for you. You can always say other things too like, its an irritant toxic gas, and it weakens the immune system etc.
Reply 450

thank you love
Reply 451
i really need help with reactions of alcohols. what are the reactants, products, conditions and reagants for them?
Need some advice: Should I do chem past papers now or later? I haven't really reviewed my notes so I was wondering if it was better to read my notes and then do past papers (I keep doing bad in the past papers)
Original post by wolfie_
i really need help with reactions of alcohols. what are the reactants, products, conditions and reagants for them?

Oxidation of primary alcohols:

Aldehyde: distil in situ, acidified potassium dichromate (VI), solution goes from orange to green, if this is further oxidised then you get carboxylic acid.

Carboxylic acid: heat under reflux with excess acidified potassium dichromate (VI), colour change from: orange to green

Oxidation of secondary alcohols:

Ketone: acidified potassium dichromate (VI), colour change from: orange to green

Oxidation of tertiary alcohols:

doesn't oxidise, colour change from: orange to orange

Dehydration of alcohol (elimination reaction): gives you an alkene

In lab: heat under reflux, with concentrated sulfuric acid

In industry: Aluminium oxide, 300oC at 1atm.

Formation of halogenoalkane: nucleophilic substitution

Bromoalkane: HBr (aq) + NaBr (s) + conc. sulfuric acid

Chloroalkane: conc. hydrochloric acid at room temp + pressure

Need some advice: Should I do chem past papers now or later? I haven't really reviewed my notes so I was wondering if it was better to read my notes and then do past papers (I keep doing bad in the past papers)

How many past papers have you done so far? And what are you averaging?
How many past papers have you done so far? And what are you averaging?

D/Es I've done like 4 past papers but I've done way more in the past :s-smilie:
Reply 456

I usually do the past papers and learn content from answering the questions. If some of the content isnt covered then I use the book aftwerwards
D/Es I've done like 4 past papers but I've done way more in the past :s-smilie:

I would suggest doing past papers then, and then referring back to the book for topics you keep losing marks on :smile:
I would suggest doing past papers then, and then referring back to the book for topics you keep losing marks on :smile:

Ok thanks :biggrin:
Original post by SyedaK
I usually do the past papers and learn content from answering the questions. If some of the content isnt covered then I use the book aftwerwards

Another question, when doing past papers do you analyses the advance notice it comes with?

Latest

Trending

Trending