The Student Room Group

The Physics PHYA2 thread! 5th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StalkeR47
HAHA. But, my enter key is working fine.

Are you sure you're pressing the enter key and not something else then?
Original post by pilotluke1
Has anyone got the jan 2013 paper? I'm so hoping for the 6 marker to be on Youngs modulus!

Yes I have it! :smile:
Original post by UnknownRoyalist
Are you sure you're pressing the enter key and not something else then?

I am sure lol! It was my mistake to write space instead of enter on my initial post. :smile:
Bye all! I have the ICT exam today and now I am leaving. :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:
Original post by StalkeR47
I am sure lol! It was my mistake to write space instead of enter on my initial post. :smile:

Just to make sure. The enter is key is the one under the back space key. Lol joking.
Sorry idk..
Original post by UnknownRoyalist
Just to make sure. The enter is key is the one under the back space key. Lol joking.
Sorry idk..

HAHA LOL! Thanks for the help anyway. Bye, I got to go for the ICT exam. :smile:
Has anyone got the jan 2013 paper? I'm so hoping for the 6 marker to be on Youngs modulus!

I think that was like January 2010 so I doubt it will come up again :frown:
Original post by BayHarborButcher
I think that was like January 2010 so I doubt it will come up again :frown:

Anyone got a prediction on the 6 marker? They've concentrated on Waves and Materials. Have they ever asked for Mechanics? If they have, which paper?
Original post by NedStark
Anyone got a prediction on the 6 marker? They've concentrated on Waves and Materials. Have they ever asked for Mechanics? If they have, which paper?

There was one about energy transfer in a trampoline, but I'm pretty sure that's about as far into mechanics as a 6 marker would go. The 6 markers are always on like theory.
Jan 2013 was nice i got 57.
6 marker prediction?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Jan 2013 was nice i got 57.

The last couple of questions were difficult. Just understanding it was impossible. Turns out some generic answers get you marks eg. It's at a maximum, even though they stated it was.
quick question.. do we need to know how to derive each one of the suvat (equations of motions)? if a derivation comes up im screwed :/ good luck people btw
Original post by JU1CY-FRU1T
quick question.. do we need to know how to derive each one of the suvat (equations of motions)? if a derivation comes up im screwed :/ good luck people btw

No don't think so as you get given them all :smile: I know I've never seen a question asking you to do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 614
Question 3 on june 2011 I thought was implying the acceleration was changing and obviously suvat equations are for constant acceleration but the mark scheme says to use suvat? Anyone explain to me why? :frown:. Also why do you can't you use nllambda=dsintheta for double slit diffraction to find the wavelength of a laser?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ive got a question on January 2011, q1b)i) asking how to derive the equation for energy stored from a force against extension graph? How would i do that? Thank you in advance :biggrin:
Original post by Bethj1234
Question 3 on june 2011 I thought was implying the acceleration was changing and obviously suvat equations are for constant acceleration but the mark scheme says to use suvat? Anyone explain to me why? :frown:. Also why do you can't you use nllambda=dsintheta for double slit diffraction to find the wavelength of a laser?

Posted from TSR Mobile

w=lamda x d / s
^^ is the one you use for double slit... the one you quoted is for single slit, just remember that :smile:

Also they clearly said in the question they want you to find the average acceleration

Ive got a question on January 2011, q1b)i) asking how to derive the equation for energy stored from a force against extension graph? How would i do that? Thank you in advance :biggrin:

State that the area equal to the energy stored & this is the same as the work done to get the spring to store that elastic energy.
Then show that the area of the triangle is 1/2 x base x height
so 1/2 axis multiplied by x & y axis
Jan 2013 - 61 :/ Hopefully the exam on Wednesday is slightly easier

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 618

The work done is shown by the area under the graph, and all of the work which is done on the spring will be stored as energy. The area under the graph is given by (1/2)*base*height so you can derive the equation using this...
Reply 619
Original post by posthumus
w=lamda x d / s
^^ is the one you use for double slit... the one you quoted is for single slit, just remember that :smile:

Also they clearly said in the question they want you to find the average acceleration

State that the area equal to the energy stored & this is the same as the work done to get the spring to store that elastic energy.
Then show that the area of the triangle is 1/2 x base x height
so 1/2 axis multiplied by x & y axis

I found the acceleration fine but on part aiii when it asks you to calculate the distance I did v=changeind/changeint but I'm not sure why I'd get different answers? Sorry if I'm being stupid here! But thank you for the second part

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply