The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Product Design help

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by susiesalmon
Consumer safety is a vital consideration in product design.
For one of the following, explain what issues must be considered to ensure safe use of
the product.
! Electric drill
! Hair straighteners
! Kettle
! Desk lamp
! Iron

CAN ANYONE HELP WITH THIS ONE?! THANKYOU

Try and research generic points that could be applied to most appliances or products:

Iron -

Cut off switch: an iron could include an auto-off function that turns the iron off after it has been upright for more than 5 minutes.

Thick insulated cord: Cannot be burned easily and will be durable enough for its life time. Retractable cord to prevent tripping. Cable grommet.

Ergonomic handle: makes the product easy to hold, helps prevent it from being dropped.

Center of gravity: The product is weighted at the bottom to stop it from falling over when placed. Can be used with an ironing board that may have a holder.

Heating plate is protected by thermoset polymer which is resistant to heat.

Fuse in plug prevents the iron causing electric shock to the user.

Safety instructions included with product.

BSI kitemark ensures the product is safe and has been and will be regularly tested.
Reply 21
If anyone could give an example of a product that is batch produced with the processes and materials it would be really helpful!
Reply 22
Original post by sbtrkt1
If anyone could give an example of a product that is batch produced with the processes and materials it would be really helpful!

http://www.technologystudent.com/joints/bat1.htm

This website is quite good for some parts of the course if anyone hasn't been on it yet.

It has a few examples of batch production but not too sure on the processes, but it is likely to be on a production line where workers/machines complete tasks and it gets passed down the line.
I forgot about all the scales of production, bit more revision I think! :s-smilie:
Reply 23
Original post by sbtrkt1

What did you make for your coursework? I made a lamp (which would be a product i'd chose on a question like this), so if you made something similar that could possibly be a product that is batched produced, you could use your knowledge of how it was made and use that for an example?
Or if not, i've found a good example here: http://www.technologystudent.com/vocat/batprod1.htm
:smile:
Reply 24
What did you make for your coursework? I made a lamp (which would be a product i'd chose on a question like this), so if you made something similar that could possibly be a product that is batched produced, you could use your knowledge of how it was made and use that for an example?
Or if not, i've found a good example here: http://www.technologystudent.com/vocat/batprod1.htm
:smile:

For my coursework I produced a speaker, this was a one off production because it was hand made. The processes involved would not work on an assembly line. Although, many speakers are batch made, I am going to research this, thanks for the help!

For two of the following scales of production explain what materials and processes could have been used in the manufacture of a product you have named.
One-off production
Batch production of 100 units
Mass production of 10 000 units

For mass production I used a tooth brush as an example:

Materials: TPE- thermoplastic elastomer (handle), Acrylic (body), Nylon (bristles).

Processes: Injection moulding, Overmoulding, QC

High start up costs but low production costs.
Reply 25
Original post by sbtrkt1
For my coursework I produced a speaker, this was a one off production because it was hand made. The processes involved would not work on an assembly line. Although, many speakers are batch made, I am going to research this, thanks for the help!

For two of the following scales of production explain what materials and processes could have been used in the manufacture of a product you have named.
One-off production
Batch production of 100 units
Mass production of 10 000 units

For mass production I used a tooth brush as an example:

Materials: TPE- thermoplastic elastomer (handle), Acrylic (body), Nylon (bristles).

Processes: Injection moulding, Overmoulding, QC

High start up costs but low production costs.

fab!!:biggrin: hope a question like this doesn't come up though haha

you know all the art deco art nouveau things, do you something like that could come up?! cause i haven't even looked at any of that. it seems so pointless
Reply 26
For a specific product of your choice describe how the application of new technology and
modern materials has improved its manufacture, function and use.

help help help
Reply 27
fab!!:biggrin: hope a question like this doesn't come up though haha

you know all the art deco art nouveau things, do you something like that could come up?! cause i haven't even looked at any of that. it seems so pointless

I don't think there will be a question that is purely based on the art movements but it will be useful to have a quick summary of each one. It would be helpful to relate to in the questions about iconic/sustainability/good design/manufacturing.

For example, Bauhaus form follows function could be related to the question below.

"With reference to a range of specific products explain how aesthetics have played an important part in their success."

Mark Scheme:

Expect reference to colour, shape,
form, link to specific design
movement Bauhaus form follows
function, Memphis use of primary
colours, bizarre style mix of
materials, Arts and Crafts use of
nature for decoration.

I haven't learnt much of it but I know enough to scrape a few marks if anything does come up.
Reply 28
For a specific product of your choice describe how the application of new technology and
modern materials has improved its manufacture, function and use.

help help help

I would start this essay by writing two headings with the subheadings of manufacture, function and use:

Product: iPhone/Mobile Phone

New technology - Manufacture
CNC machines, CAD, QC/QA/ QRM etc
New technology - Function/use
Microchips
Wifi or bluetooth
Miniturisation - portability, camera
Digitization
More memory
Batterys
Gyroscope technology

Modern Materials - Manufacture
Smart material actuators
Injection molding polymers
Modern Materials - Function/use
Glass is durable and resistant to scratching/doesn't crack injure user.
Longer use because of better battery material.
Light weight

I cant think of many for the modern materials, is this a 28 mark question?
Reply 29
Original post by sbtrkt1
I would start this essay by writing two headings with the subheadings of manufacture, function and use:

Product: iPhone/Mobile Phone

New technology - Manufacture
CNC machines, CAD, QC/QA/ QRM etc
New technology - Function/use
Microchips
Wifi or bluetooth
Miniturisation - portability, camera
Digitization
More memory
Batterys
Gyroscope technology

Modern Materials - Manufacture
Smart material actuators
Injection molding polymers
Modern Materials - Function/use
Glass is durable and resistant to scratching/doesn't crack injure user.
Longer use because of better battery material.
Light weight

I cant think of many for the modern materials, is this a 28 mark question?

Thankyou so much! and no its a 12 mark :smile:
can you just do my exam for me arghhh:s-smilie:
Reply 30
Thankyou so much! and no its a 12 mark :smile:
can you just do my exam for me arghhh:s-smilie:

My teacher has taught us to mind map the key points then write the answers using a timer in a way that reduces waffling. I have written the first paragraph as an example. (Reword question for title, use the headings for each paragraph followed by an example, and the benefit of using it)

"The Apple iPhone uses the application of new technology and modern materials to improve its manufacture, function and use.
The manufacture of the product is improved through using new technology. One example of this is CAD computer aided design. This allows the component parts to be cut out using CNC - computer numerical control machines. This speeds up the processes and ensures consistent accuracy. Prototypes of the phone can be printed using 3D polymer printers and the ergonomics can be tested and refined. A second use of technology to improve the manufacture...."

Hopefully a question comes up that is just knowledge from the last exam:

"Sometimes it is necessary to combine two or more materials in order that the enhanced properties can be utilised.

For two of the following, name a specific composite material, stating its constituent parts.

In each case explain why the composite material is suitable for a specific application.

Fibre-reinforced composite
Particle-based composite
Sheet-based composite"

Easy marks!

I plan on answering the questions about Iconic design, ICT in manufacturing, and Sustainability.
Reply 31
Original post by sbtrkt1
My teacher has taught us to mind map the key points then write the answers using a timer in a way that reduces waffling. I have written the first paragraph as an example. (Reword question for title, use the headings for each paragraph followed by an example, and the benefit of using it)

"The Apple iPhone uses the application of new technology and modern materials to improve its manufacture, function and use.
The manufacture of the product is improved through using new technology. One example of this is CAD computer aided design. This allows the component parts to be cut out using CNC - computer numerical control machines. This speeds up the processes and ensures consistent accuracy. Prototypes of the phone can be printed using 3D polymer printers and the ergonomics can be tested and refined. A second use of technology to improve the manufacture...."

Hopefully a question comes up that is just knowledge from the last exam:

"Sometimes it is necessary to combine two or more materials in order that the enhanced properties can be utilised.

For two of the following, name a specific composite material, stating its constituent parts.

In each case explain why the composite material is suitable for a specific application.

Fibre-reinforced composite
Particle-based composite
Sheet-based composite"

Easy marks!

I plan on answering the questions about Iconic design, ICT in manufacturing, and Sustainability.

lucky! my teachers didn't teach me ANYTHING! literally nothing and just gave us all an aqa book!
i hope something comes up on ergonomics, inclusive design, aesthetics and thats all i'm good at hahaha
Reply 32
lucky! my teachers didn't teach me ANYTHING! literally nothing and just gave us all an aqa book!
i hope something comes up on ergonomics, inclusive design, aesthetics and thats all i'm good at hahaha

All DT teachers seem to hate the theory side of product design! What case studies have you looked at for aesthetics?
Reply 33
Thank you to those that have answered my questions on iconic design! It's really helped =)

Original post by littlemissmidget123
I took this exam last year and am now studying design - feel free to fire any questions my way - just quote me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey I was wondering if you knew anything about how to set out the answers for 7,14, and 28 mark questions. How many points should you be aiming to make with each type of question?
Reply 34
Does anyway have the annoying feeling that they'll be a question on glass/cermanics, risk assemnts or health and safety?
Reply 35
Does anyone know what came up in Jan 2013
Reply 36
Original post by MissNix
Does anyway have the annoying feeling that they'll be a question on glass/cermanics, risk assemnts or health and safety?

i don't think glass or ceramics will come up, it never has in as or a2 so don't worry! and the others, yeah maybe, but hopefully not haha
god i hope there's some easy questions :frown:
Reply 37
i don't think glass or ceramics will come up, it never has in as or a2 so don't worry! and the others, yeah maybe, but hopefully not haha
god i hope there's some easy questions :frown:

Same, I really want a "HERE IS A IMAGE OF A PRODUCT, NOW TELL ME HOW IT'S MADE!" question since that's the only thing I'm confident in. That and kettles.
Reply 38
A question on health and safety will be easy!

How to make the manufacture safer, is mostly common sense (guarding, extraction fans, protective clothing, coshh)

Risk assessment is slightly harder, just think about the use of the product and then the risks during manufacture(above).
Reply 39
Original post by MissNix
Same, I really want a "HERE IS A IMAGE OF A PRODUCT, NOW TELL ME HOW IT'S MADE!" question since that's the only thing I'm confident in. That and kettles.

haha yeah anything about a kettle or an iphone then i'm sorted! :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending