The Student Room Group

AQA GCE Geography Unit 3- 7th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by acedlol
The Jan 2013 essay question for tectonics was:

"Natural disasters are often not natural disasters, but are in fact human disasters."
(AQA Geography Student - June 2010)

Discuss this statement in relation to seismic events.

I don't understand how you can answer this question. Does it want you to discuss management? That's the only way to answer it that I can see. :confused:
Reply 1621
Ahh I see, thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1622
Original post by emah123
how did you do at AS?

i originally got a E bad times :frown: then re-sat in jan and gained a C!
Reply 1623
Original post by annemariemoore
I don't understand how you can answer this question. Does it want you to discuss management? That's the only way to answer it that I can see. :confused:

I thinking its asking you if it's caused my human factors or physical factors

But it can also be are the damage done higher to humans or the environment...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got 37/40 on it, and I went around it like this.

I used the examples of Japan Tsunami and the Haiti Earthquake.

Japan, the most advanced country in the world, technologically supreme to everyone. Fantastic warning / alert system, instant army deployment (within a few minutes), mass evacuations blah blah blah. 20,000 still died.

Haiti, poorest in western hemisphere, total car wreck of a nation. Even with foresight (geologists warned that there would be a earthquake) they could do nothing. 200,000 dead.

But what we really have to see here, is the capacity to cope.

Japan, even though it was capable to cope, couldn't save everyone. 40% of coastline has 10m high walls? What more could Japan have possible done to avert the 20,000 deaths? Nothing. Because nothing beats 30m high waves. Japan was a natural disaster. Wasn't preventable

Haiti on the other hand was a human disaster. Those 200,000 wouldn't have died if they even had semi-good buildings, Japan regularly gets 7.0 magnitude earthquakes and they are semi-chilled about those. 7.0s? They get one of those almost every year. You see Japan losing so many lives?

Lots of talk about other factors:

Magnitude of the earthquake. (7.0 / 9.0 etc)
Time of day / season. (Japan in Winter, afternoon, haiti in early evening, hindered response).
Capacity to cope. <-

Compare specifically economic/social/political differences with reference to the capacity to cope between my case studies (unlock mega synopticity marks).

Nice big long conclusion to round it off.
Original post by GraceCatherine_94
Does anyone know how to work out what they need to get in the exam based on last years results? Trying to work it out and I'm getting confused with UMS and raw marks

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

OK, it's the UMS marks you need to calculate grades (Raw marks are used to convert to UMS and then forgotten)

There are 400 UMS marks max for the 2 years: Unit 1 - 140, Unit 2 - 60, Unit 3 - 120, Unit 4A/B - 80.

For an A, you need 320 (80%), B 280 (70%), C 240 (60%), etc. If you want an A* you need 320 over all 4 units, with a minimum of 180 (90%) from A2 Units 3 and 4A/B.

Example: You have UMS results for 3 units, Unit 1 - 124, Unit 2 - 42, Unit 4A - 66, Total for 3 units = 232. To get an A, you need 320 - 232 = 88 out of 120 from Unit 3. This is about 74% UMS, which will probably be somewhere in the region of 60-70% Raw in the exam.

Remember, it's possible to get an A* overall, even if you only got a C at AS. In Unit 3 in January 2013, 78% Raw would have got you 120 UMS (100%)!!!
Original post by dawg
In januarys paper it was 37/90 raw marks for a D

That low? Damn haha
Original post by mols0756
i originally got a E bad times :frown: then re-sat in jan and gained a C!

Nice one
Reply 1628
Original post by SimpleTom
That low? Damn haha

Yeah, it was only 63/90 for an A* aswell. They always seem to be pretty low grade boundries
Original post by acedlol

Japan, the most advanced country in the world, technologically supreme to everyone. Fantastic warning / alert system, instant army deployment (within a few minutes), mass evacuations blah blah blah. 20,000 still died.

Haiti, poorest in western hemisphere, total car wreck of a nation. Even with foresight (geologists warned that there would be a earthquake) they could do nothing. 200,000 dead.

Japan, even though it was capable to cope, couldn't save everyone. 40% of coastline has 10m high walls? What more could Japan have possible done to avert the 20,000 deaths? Nothing. Because nothing beats 30m high waves. Japan was a natural disaster. Wasn't preventable

Haiti on the other hand was a human disaster. Those 200,000 wouldn't have died if they even had semi-good buildings, Japan regularly gets 7.0 magnitude earthquakes and they are semi-chilled about those. 7.0s? They get one of those almost every year. You see Japan losing so many lives?

Time of day / season. (Japan in Winter, afternoon, haiti in early evening, hindered response).
Capacity to cope. <-

Compare specifically economic/social/political differences with reference to the capacity to cope between my case studies (unlock mega synopticity marks).

Can you sit my exam dude haha?

Also what do you predict MOST likely will be on Globalisation and Development - if you had to pick a topic/s for the Short answers and one for the essay?
Original post by dawg
Yeah, it was only 63/90 for an A* aswell. They always seem to be pretty low grade boundries

Really? I actually think I could do that haha
We did this question as a practise mock. I wrote about how there's no way to predict an earthquake (other than from volcanoes or studying tectonic plate structure) however the impacts of earthquakes can be made worse by human factors such a population of a place, building density and timing of when the earthquake took place (EG. if it ook place duringthe night then more people would be killed/badly injured as they wouldn't be able to escape buildings as quickly) Also talked about the differences between an LEDC and MEDC earthquake and how the development of a country effected the damage using economic and social impacts and responses. No idea if this was right, but.... hope it might be some help :smile:
I'm having tonight off, then it's three days solid revision!
Reply 1633
Original post by Daniel George
I'm having tonight off, then it's three days solid revision!

how'd ur exam go?
Original post by Axion
how'd ur exam go?

mate, I got like 2 hours sleep - the first question was really nice and I think I did okay - the second question was diabolical - the sources, essay and everything was just a mess :frown: arghhhh
HELP
Anyone who has been on this for a long time got the link or know the page number for that person who has done those prediction tables and got full Ums!? I've gone to page 40 and still can't find it unless I've missed it?thanks!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1636
Original post by Daniel George
mate, I got like 2 hours sleep - the first question was really nice and I think I did okay - the second question was diabolical - the sources, essay and everything was just a mess :frown: arghhhh

:/, hopefully you did alright. did you need to do well in it?
Reply 1637
Original post by Gary
Yeahh i am but im just gonna leave it till the last 3 days and cram it. Im just gonna do a lot of background research, make notes, revise the notes, annotate the graphs and thats all you can really do....

Yeah that makes sense, thanks for the response
Original post by Axion
:/, hopefully you did alright. did you need to do well in it?

well, I needed a C to get the B overall - I gave up on the prospect of an A! but I really needed a B in the exam as there is a chance the exam boards may mark my coursework down :P
Reply 1639
Original post by acedlol

Capacity to cope. <-

Im a bit confused on what synoptic includes, i know its like everything you've learnt in geography and bring in topics from other areas of the spec but can you give me like an example of a sentence or something for this particular question for example which will give you synoptic marks?

Also when you introduce like e.g. volcano case study, do you write about when they occur? how they occur (what plates involved)? cause i think i usually spent a lot of time doing this and im not sure if its relevant to put it all in or whether i should just go straight to the impacts, responses and management.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending