The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by super121
I emailed my teacher about this and he said that most alcohols cannot undergo the reaction at room temp. In the chapter summarising the organic reactions, it says reflux to make a halogenoalkane, so high temp. is needed :smile:

OMG it has finally clicked for me, thank you :biggrin: It says in the CGP book that the room temp and conc HCl is for tertiary alcohols!!! The question in june 2011 is methanol so a primary alcohol, so yeah i'm guessing room temp isn't sufficient. Although it also says in the CGP book that the reaction conditions for a tertiary alcohol to a halogenoalkane is the only one you need to know, tut :rolleyes:
Reply 481
How can chlorate be 1-??
I emailed my teacher about this and he said that most alcohols cannot undergo the reaction at room temp. In the chapter summarising the organic reactions, it says reflux to make a halogenoalkane, so high temp. is needed :smile:

Am I right in saying that if a high temp is used then HCl rather than conc HCl is used? As this is what the mark scheme implies
Original post by michmic
How can chlorate be 1-??

It just is, it forms H(ClO) so it must be -1
Original post by Jlane5000
OMG it has finally clicked for me, thank you :biggrin: It says in the CGP book that the room temp and conc HCl is for tertiary alcohols!!! The question in june 2011 is methanol so a primary alcohol, so yeah i'm guessing room temp isn't sufficient. Although it also says in the CGP book that the reaction conditions for a tertiary alcohol to a halogenoalkane is the only one you need to know, tut :rolleyes:

OMG thank you so much!

Primary/Secondary alcohols -> Halogenoalkanes= c. HCl+ High temperatures (reflux)

Tertiary alcohols -> Halogenoalkanes= c. HCl at room temperature (r.t.p.)

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
Reply 485
Original post by Jlane5000
Am I right in saying that if a high temp is used then HCl rather than conc HCl is used? As this is what the mark scheme implies

Yep :smile:
Reply 486
Yep :smile:

Super, any help? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could someone tell me why June 2011 3. a) doesn't allow alcohol as a functional group?

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/58494-mark-scheme-unit-f332-chemistry-of-natural-resources-june.pdf

Mark scheme
Reply 488
Original post by nksunny
Hey guys, i am a bit puzzled with one question from june 2011. it basically asks for the electron configuration of Iodide ions. I thought the configuration would be: 1s2 2s2 sp6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d10 4p6 4d10 4f8 but the answer is 1s2 2s2 sp6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d10 4p6 4d10 5s2 5p6 ... i thought the sub-shells went s,p,d,f ... if that was the case then why is there no 4f ? please help? really confused !!!

Where are you getting the 4f from? Iodine is nowhere near the f block.
Reply 489
Original post by Davelittle
Could someone tell me why June 2011 3. a) doesn't allow alcohol as a functional group?

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/58494-mark-scheme-unit-f332-chemistry-of-natural-resources-june.pdf

Mark scheme

OH bonded to a benzene ring is called a phenol :smile:
Reply 490
Original post by Branny101
Super, any help? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's the question?
Reply 491
What's the question?

Original post by Branny101
June 2011 Q 3diii) when it says "...reacts with water" it means one water molecule?

And I never get why they draw the molecules out the way they do, could someone explain?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 492
What is the difference between nucleophilic and electrophilic?
Reply 493
does anyone know what topics are more likely to show up tomorrow?
Reply 494
Has anybody got the mark scheme for any of the end of module tests? Can't seem to find them
Nucleophile- contains a lone pair of electron which it can donate to form a bond. Attracted to areas of positive charge

Electrophile- Electron deficient, attracted to areas of negative charge.

Are these definitions enough to get the marks? I'm not really happy with the look of the electrophile one in particular :s-smilie:
Reply 496
which topics are most likely to come up
Original post by Davelittle
OMG thank you so much!

Primary/Secondary alcohols -> Halogenoalkanes= c. HCl+ High temperatures (reflux)

Tertiary alcohols -> Halogenoalkanes= c. HCl at room temperature (r.t.p.)

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

I ttthhiinnkkk going by the june 2011 mark scheme that primary/secondary alcohols to halogenoalkanes is just HCl (not conc) and high temp, and the conc HCl is for tertiary alcohols at room temp, though i'm not certain :colondollar:
Reply 498
What is the difference between photodissociation (photolysis) and homolytic bond fission? Or is photodissociation a type of homolytic bond fission?
Where are you getting the 4f from? Iodine is nowhere near the f block.

I can't see his post but it only asks for the outer electron shell so it's just 5p^6 (superscript for the 6)

Latest

Trending

Trending