The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lucindaellaaa
I'm probably arguing this point more because I did put this, but surely 'polypeptide' is acceptable for the very first question, because that IS the name given to a sequence of Amino acids. And in every past paper I have done with a question like that, they accept 'polypeptide' ...

A polypeptide by definition is " a chain of amino acids linked together by peptide bonds". Where as the sequence of amino acids, is like the perfect exact definition of primary structure.
Reply 2081
Original post by LostPlanet2Luke
I'm not too sure about NITROGENOUS BASE.
They are usually quite anal about that. In a past paper it required THYMINE and IGNORE nitrogenous base.

I have seen a million times that they do NOT accept nitrogenous base, if it is explicit that there is an indication of the base needed for complementary base pairing.

So, you're right there!
:smile::wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tssf_skye
I wrote the last two you wrote, I'm pretty sure they're correct as I've seen them both in mark schemes before :smile:

Ah that's reassuring then :smile:

Original post by MrMeep2580
My three things for the EIA:
Any endangered species in the area.
How the development would affect biodiversity
Simpsons index of diversity to take into account.

Ah the first two sound like they are on a similar (hopefully correct) line to mine.
Do you think this paper was easier than the Janurary 2013 paper?

What do you think grade boundaries are going to be for an A and B june 2013?
Original post by lucindaellaaa
I'm probably arguing this point more because I did put this, but surely 'polypeptide' is acceptable for the very first question, because that IS the name given to a sequence of Amino acids. And in every past paper I have done with a question like that, they accept 'polypeptide' ...

I put polypeptide but crossed it out and put primary structure because in the question it talked about protein having structures or something so i thought i should relate it to structure.
Original post by JLouise1994
Do you think this paper was easier than the Janurary 2013 paper?

What do you think grade boundaries are going to be for an A and B june 2013?

SO MUCH EASIER. I hated the january paper so much, and June 2012. I think it'll be 72ish for an A :smile:
Original post by theCreator
thats only for edexcel. OCR is taken only in the UK so it doesnt matter.

Lol I know

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2087
Well!?
I can this paper was designed to catch up out a little, bite I handled it quite well and all.
Great paper, overall to be perfectly honest.

What does people think full UMS conversion should be this year!?
85+ again?
:biggrin::wink::smile:

Let me know any possible predictions if you know!

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the question about the need for complementary bases I wrote so mutations so occur and stuff like that, is that ok? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2089
Original post by Goldie2912
How many marks was it for drawing hydrogen bonds? I totally misread the question and missed that out :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile

exactly i dont even remember that question? how many marks?
Reply 2090
Original post by AnharM
Hi guys, I need your honest opinion on this. For the phagocyte question, I read the pathogens part, but didn't read the whole question until it said "phagocyte" so I instantly started to write about B Lymphocytes and T Lymphocytes, completely messed up that question, i talked about T Lymphocytes detecting antigen on Antigen presenting cells, and binding to it, secreting enzymes to kill the cell by actions of T Killer Cells etc. Do you think I will lose all the 7 marks, or do you think they will be kind and allow maybe 2 marks? The worst part is that I know everything about phagocytosis. Can't believe I messed up a 7 mark question, really wanted 135 UMS.

Omgggg!!! I did the exact same! :frown:
Reply 2091
Original post by exams567
exactly i dont even remember that question? how many marks?

Only 2 guys! I messed it up too. I just drew a dotted line for reach base. LOL I knew it looked a bit too simple :/
Reply 2092
Original post by Ché.
I have seen a million times that they do NOT accept nitrogenous base, if it is explicit that there is an indication of the base needed for complementary base pairing.

So, you're right there!
:smile::wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cant believe i didnt even think of writing the actual base! Wrote nitrogenous base :frown:
Reply 2093
Original post by Samiha.M
Omgggg!!! I did the exact same! :frown:

we have completely messed up that question :'( feel so bad, knowing I won't get the 135 UMS.
Original post by lahabz2012
the very last question was NOT BECAUSE of micrscopess . it was because the water bear has evolved from a common ancestor by natural selection , mutation and u can mention also some environmental factors like competition and predators.....

You can't for sure say your answer is right it's pretty funny you are because it was a suggest question and the exam board realise application of knowledge varies

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2095
Original post by Samiha.M
Cant believe i didnt even think of writing the actual base! Wrote nitrogenous base :frown:

I actually cannot describe how many times this has happened in the near past!
It also says this in the notes column of the mark scheme each year if included...

If this was an even more ambiguous figure image, then it would be acceptable.
How was it overall!?
An A/B grade?
:smile::wink::biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Majeue
I put grey squirrels can fly so are often seen around and red squirrels are highly susceptible to getting eaten by dogs so they hide in the trees a lot.

im dead LOL
Reply 2097
I couldn't let the Phagocyte response fool me once again!
I processed the question several times before grabbing acceptable content!
Phew!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2098
For the infective agent question, I just wrote Mycobacterium, not Mycobacterium Tuberculosis. Won't I get the mark? :/
Reply 2099
Original post by Ché.
I actually cannot describe how many times this has happened in the near past!
It also says this in the notes column of the mark scheme each year if included...

If this was an even more ambiguous figure image, then it would be acceptable.
How was it overall!?
An A/B grade?
:smile::wink::biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guess this is what happens for last min revision and not doing past papers! I did about 2 and didnt cme across that qu! And LOOOOOL i wish!! Hmm.. Really hope its atlest a B cos the paper was actually nice! Wbu?

Latest

Trending

Trending