The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Religious Studies - Thursday 6th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Halfway_Book
Need help! For Philosophy of Religion what's least likely to come up from "Life After Death", "Revelation and Holy Scripture", "Miracles" and "The nature of God"?

thanks

The same question is running through my mind as well, because I wanna reduce my revision load but all of those topics seem likely tbh. I'd say Life After Death but its s broad that you can't tell. You just have to make a choice really based on what your best at because there's actually gonna be a question (theoretically) on all of those, worded in some way or another
Reply 181
Original post by Orangetree12
For philosophy I reckon that religious language, miracles, and revelation are most likely to come up.

I doubt very much that religious experience will come up this summer.

But... isn't revelation part of the religious experience topic?

To be honest, I hope it doesn't come up. The last (and only) time religious experience didn't come up was January 2010 - which was the first exam of the specification. Surely it's due another absence? It doesn't strike me as a particularly important topic, not like religious language. I mean, religious language has been on every single paper. I do wonder if this will be the one that will get rid of it...
Anyone here doing the A2 religious ethics in June? Plz message me ASAP!! ><

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by khana_bi
But... isn't revelation part of the religious experience topic?

To be honest, I hope it doesn't come up. The last (and only) time religious experience didn't come up was January 2010 - which was the first exam of the specification. Surely it's due another absence? It doesn't strike me as a particularly important topic, not like religious language. I mean, religious language has been on every single paper. I do wonder if this will be the one that will get rid of it...

Although revelation comes under religious experience I almost see it as a different topic, I think that's just because it was the way I was taught it. I'm hoping it won't come up though, religious experience/revelation has to be my least favourite topic/s.
I was reading on the 'Philosophical Investigations' website and they seem to think that religious language will come up and that the question may well focus on the verification princple.
worry is setting in! especially for the ethics part arghhhhhhhhhh
Reply 185
Although revelation comes under religious experience I almost see it as a different topic, I think that's just because it was the way I was taught it. I'm hoping it won't come up though, religious experience/revelation has to be my least favourite topic/s.
I was reading on the 'Philosophical Investigations' website and they seem to think that religious language will come up and that the question may well focus on the verification princple.

What else did they say could come up? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

can you link to this source? i can't seen to find it. Thanks :biggrin:

Yeah, we've been taught proposotional revelation as a different topic to religious experience, but I'm sure the two can intertwine.

My teacher has predicted verification too... which I would be happy with. Set it up, attack it brutally with falsification and then counter falsification with all of its flaws and Bob's your uncle :biggrin:

I'm also glad that miracles is a likely topic... I'd love a question that focuses on Wiles!
Original post by RyLynch100
can you link to this source? i can't seen to find it. Thanks :biggrin:

I can't find the exact page on the website anymore but I printed it off a couple of weeks ago. I'll have another look and link you if I find it but here is pretty much what it said.
For philosophy they predicted; Religious language (verification and analogy/symbols), Miracles (biased/arbitrary God), and Life after death (coherence/problem of evil)
For ethics they predicted; Free will & determinism (moral responsibility), Sexual ethics (contraception/utilitarianism), Virtue ethics (modern approaches) and Environmental ethics (virtue ethics).

They said that free will and determinism, sexual ethics, religious language and miralces were the 'hot picks'
Original post by JakeAReynolds
Yeah, we've been taught proposotional revelation as a different topic to religious experience, but I'm sure the two can intertwine.

My teacher has predicted verification too... which I would be happy with. Set it up, attack it brutally with falsification and then counter falsification with all of its flaws and Bob's your uncle :biggrin:

I'm also glad that miracles is a likely topic... I'd love a question that focuses on Wiles!

I would love to see verification too, I think it's quite straightforward.
Well on the website it said that the miracles question may well be related to a 'biased/arbitrary' God, so in that case you would focus on Wiles' arguments.
I can't find the exact page on the website anymore but I printed it off a couple of weeks ago. I'll have another look and link you if I find it but here is pretty much what it said.
For philosophy they predicted; Religious language (verification and analogy/symbols), Miracles (biased/arbitrary God), and Life after death (coherence/problem of evil)
For ethics they predicted; Free will & determinism (moral responsibility), Sexual ethics (contraception/utilitarianism), Virtue ethics (modern approaches) and Environmental ethics (virtue ethics).

They said that free will and determinism, sexual ethics, religious language and miralces were the 'hot picks'

thanks! lets hope they are right! the ''hot topics'' are the 4 topics id answer and been hoping for!!! especially ethics i suck at so many of the topics and have only really gone into detail on sexual virtue and free well/determinism! I'm really praying on some good questions!!!!
So, I just finished my history paper, was briefly happy, and then I realised I had this on Thursday. There truly are no breaks on the revision train!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would love to see verification too, I think it's quite straightforward.
Well on the website it said that the miracles question may well be related to a 'biased/arbitrary' God, so in that case you would focus on Wiles' arguments.

That would be perfect!
Reply 194
Original post by JakeAReynolds

I was taught it as a separate topic as well but what I mean is, for the purposes of the exam, is it possible/likely that revelation and scripture AND another religious experience question will come up? That would actually be my nightmare...

And thanks for sharing your strategy to a verification question - that could be helpful! :wink:
Original post by khana_bi
I was taught it as a separate topic as well but what I mean is, for the purposes of the exam, is it possible/likely that revelation and scripture AND another religious experience question will come up? That would actually be my nightmare...

And thanks for sharing your strategy to a verification question - that could be helpful! :wink:

Sadly I do think that's possible... sorry! And no worries haha!
I always tackle a revelation question with reference to some of the language topics, as special revelation is obviously scriptural and with propositional and non-propositional there is the whole issue of taking it literally or symbolically, and then you can bring in the Verification principle against God revealing himself, and Wittgenstein FOR God revealing himself within a group of those who take part in the language game of faith, Aquinas argued that propositional revelation requires a degree of faith. Anyways, anyone have a plan for a miracles question centered upon God's nature/ Wiles, and one for Attributes, preferably on omniscience/ Boethius/ Omnipotence.

Does anyone think it would be safe/wise to leave out experience and attributes?
Ideally for me, body/soul and symbol/myth/analogy in philosophy and meta-ethics and free will/determinism in ethics. I would metaphorically leap into the air with joy if this happened, but I'll never get this lucky.
Reply 198
Original post by JimmyRustler
Does anyone think it would be safe/wise to leave out experience and attributes?

I'm leaving out experience and I'm doing language in not much depth. Though now I'm paranoid that there will be two questions on experience... :eek:
What are the criticisms of Wiles' view on miracles?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending