The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2780
Original post by ukdragon37
They are far more often for students from countries with languages more unrelated to English (e.g. Chinese). Also Cambridge tends to prefer IELTS over TOEFL.

I understand, I simply wished to share my experiences as the topic was also quite important for me last year.
Reply 2781
Original post by villy95
Hi, I am 2014 international applicant. Does anybody know whether Cambridge accept TOEFL and in which level (how many scores)?

I have however just realised that I wrote to almost all the Cambridge colleges before I applied to ask about language qualifications. I still have the replies so if you have a preferred college, simply list it below and I will cite their response (from last year). Skimming through them now it does seem as though IELTS is the favoured qualification.
Reply 2782
I think I will do an open application because I don't know which college to choose for architecture.
Original post by Audenite
I understand, I simply wished to share my experiences as the topic was also quite important for me last year.

Sorry, I didn't mean that to be accusative or patronising in anyway, I was just contributing additional experiences :smile:
Reply 2784
Original post by bananarama2
There isn't exactly a thriving Chemical Engineering thread :tongue: I have been thinking a Physics equivalent of "The Proof is Trivial" would be good :tongue:

Hold on, hold on, do you have an offer for ChemEng :tongue:

If you're doing it through Engineering, proofs are somewhat thin on the ground, I have to say.
Original post by wibletg
Hold on, hold on, do you have an offer for ChemEng :tongue:

If you're doing it through Engineering, proofs are somewhat thin on the ground, I have to say.

Yes, I do. As I say. Chem Eng enthusiasts are pretty thin on the ground :tongue:

I guessed as much. There very few proofs on that thread, it's more difficult problems and thought it would be nice to have similar threads for other subjects.

I'm via natsci.
Reply 2786
Yes, I do. As I say. Chem Eng enthusiasts are pretty thin on the ground :tongue:

I guessed as much. There very few proofs on that thread, it's more difficult problems and thought it would be nice to have similar threads for other subjects.

Yeah - it's a small department though (average of just under 60 a year) so the odds of meeting someone on TSR doing it is small. Heck, the odds of meeting someone else outside the department doing it is slim (there's only two of us in a year of 150 people).

Don't worry though, if you like difficult problems, you'll enjoy the course :tongue:

edit: your ninjaedit - damn natscis :tongue:

There's a lot less problem solving and a lot more understanding with NatSci.
Original post by wibletg
Yeah - it's a small department though (average of just under 60 a year) so the odds of meeting someone on TSR doing it is small. Heck, the odds of meeting someone else outside the department doing it is slim (there's only two of us in a year of 150 people).

Don't worry though, if you like difficult problems, you'll enjoy the course :tongue:

edit: your ninjaedit - damn natscis :tongue:

There's a lot less problem solving and a lot more understanding with NatSci.

So you're doing Chem Eng? I know :biggrin:

I love difficult problems of all natures and understanding :tongue:

Sorry for the ninja edit.
Reply 2788
So you're doing Chem Eng? I know :biggrin:

I love difficult problems of all natures and understanding :tongue:

Sorry for the ninja edit.

Well, currently Engineering but I transfer next year :tongue:

Fair enough - I thought I did too but when you do stuff to degree level you find out what you REALLY enjoy :tongue: I much prefer solving problems to understanding stuff in great depth (but sadly the two often go hand in hand!)

No bother :tongue:
I know this is so random but how frequent are the exams in Cambridge and when do we sit for them? I need to prepare my mind to absorb all possible shocks Cam has to offer. :tongue:
Original post by wibletg
Well, currently Engineering but I transfer next year :tongue:

Fair enough - I thought I did too but when you do stuff to degree level you find out what you REALLY enjoy :tongue: I much prefer solving problems to understanding stuff in great depth (but sadly the two often go hand in hand!)

No bother :tongue:

I'll inevitably end up pestering you at some other time then :tongue: Which college are you at?
I guess I'll find out next year.

TSR is good for reminding you there is always someone wayyy better than you, a mindset I think might be handy next year :lol:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2791
Original post by maniac_almanac
I know this is so random but how frequent are the exams in Cambridge and when do we sit for them? I need to prepare my mind to absorb all possible shocks Cam has to offer. :tongue:

Once a year - at the end. In fact, exams are going on right now, hence why I'm procrastinating and dodging revision.

I'll inevitably end up pestering you at some other time then :tongue: Which college are you at? Jesus was it?

I guess I'll find out next year.

TSR is good for reminding you there is always someone wayyy better than you, a mindset I think might be handy next year :lol:

Yup :tongue: I'm looking forward to the ChemEng department, all the social events I've already been on (despite not officially studying there yet) have got me psyched up.
Original post by wibletg

Yup :tongue: I'm looking forward to the ChemEng department, all the social events I've already been on (despite not officially studying there yet) have got me psyched up.

Is the free pizza true?
Reply 2793
Is the free pizza true?

Free pizza during lunch and at social activities, free beer at social activities, hell, even a free 4 course dinner and wine :tongue:
Original post by wibletg
Free pizza during lunch and at social activities, free beer at social activities, hell, even a free 4 course dinner and wine :tongue:

Woah....4 course dinner? Where on earth do you have a four course dinner?
Reply 2795

The fourth course is probably coffee...
Reply 2796

Original post by VSEPR
The fourth course is probably coffee...

Soup ---> Fish ---> Main ---> Dessert and then Coffee :tongue:

Technically that wasn't in the department, that was organised in college with people from Peterhouse and Fitz joining in :tongue:
Original post by wibletg
Soup ---> Fish ---> Main ---> Dessert and then Coffee :tongue:

Technically that wasn't in the department, that was organised in college with people from Peterhouse and Fitz joining in :tongue:

:lolwut: I think uni will be an education on a number of levels :tongue:
Reply 2798
:lolwut: I think uni will be an education on a number of levels :tongue:

Just you wait for the May Ball :biggrin:
Original post by VSEPR
Just you wait for the May Ball :biggrin:

Do tell :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending