The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
Original post by Yunggee
Hi do you know what the bonding in NO2 is like, 2 teachers told me 2 different ways which sucks :/

NO2 is a radical, so double bonds with the Oxygens and an unpaired electron on the nitrogen :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by michmic
How to identify addition and condensation polymerisation?

Addition polymerisation is when two or more smaller monomer units join together to form a larger molecule (polymer), without the loss of any small molecules.

Condensation polymerisation is when two or more smaller monomer units join together to form a larger molecule (polymer), with the loss of a smaller molecule (usually water or HCL).

This exam mainly focuses on addition polymerisation; I'll be very surprised if they mention condensation polymerisation as its not on the spec and focused more in F334. :smile:
Reply 522
Original post by super121
I would say, it depends on what they give it to you as, but they usually just accept both (but be on the safe side) :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thankayouuuu :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
On the advance notice, does the arrow going from Nitrogen to oxygen for nitrous oxide mean the nitrogen is contributing the electrons to the dative bond? So the oxygen is effectively not using any of its own electrons to bond?
Original post by King Hotpie
On the advance notice, does the arrow going from Nitrogen to oxygen for nitrous oxide mean the nitrogen is contributing the electrons to the dative bond? So the oxygen is effectively not using any of its own electrons to bond?

You're correct, remember to show all the lone pairs as well :smile:
Reply 525
OH bonded to a benzene ring is called a phenol :smile:

Do we have to know how to name phenols?
Reply 526
Original post by etadri
does anyone know what topics are more likely to show up tomorrow?

Topics in F332 :tongue:
Reply 527
Original post by Yunggee
what does the bonding diagram look like for NO2?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2370946&p=42940383
Reply 528
Original post by Yunggee
Hi do you know what the bonding in NO2 is like, 2 teachers told me 2 different ways which sucks :/

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2370946&p=42940383
Reply 529
Original post by krisshP
Do we have to know how to name phenols?

No, that's F334

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by abzy1234
You're correct, remember to show all the lone pairs as well :smile:

Thank you :biggrin: I just thought it was weird that the central nitrogen has 3 bonds and a dative bond whilst the oxygen keeps all its electrons. Doesn't seem fair really :rolleyes:
Reply 531
What does the dot and cross diagram look like for a dative covalent bond?
Reply 532
can someone please give me links to any good revision places or any other good ways of revising? or could someone just send me links of revision notes would really appreciate it?:smile: many thanks :smile:
Original post by King Hotpie
Thank you :biggrin: I just thought it was weird that the central nitrogen has 3 bonds and a dative bond whilst the oxygen keeps all its electrons. Doesn't seem fair really :rolleyes:

Yah, dative structures can get a bit weird tbh. Oxygen's a boss :wink:
Reply 534
Original post by wizardlad
can someone please give me links to any good revision places or any other good ways of revising? or could someone just send me links of revision notes would really appreciate it?:smile: many thanks :smile:

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/index.html#top
Reply 535
Aaaaaahhhhhh the exam is getting closer and closer :eek: !!!
Reply 536

cheers could you be more specific on which bits to revise so i dont end up revising the wrong stuff haha ?:smile:
Original post by tasnimc
What does the dot and cross diagram look like for a dative covalent bond?

Instead of a dot and a cross
The covalent bond would be 2 dots or 2 crosses showing one atom provides both of the electrons
Reply 538
Original post by wizardlad
cheers could you be more specific on which bits to revise so i dont end up revising the wrong stuff haha ?:smile:

Go see the spec
Reply 539
Where are you getting the 4f from? Iodine is nowhere near the f block.

true, but i am still confused do we just skip out 4f and jump straight onto 5s2 5p6? ... ugghh !!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending