The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Richyp22
I was going to put that but then it said males choosen at random so not sure tbh.

And for ppl wondering what full ums will be. For jan13 full ums was 70/85 that paper was way easier than the one today. Full ums will be 67/68 no higher.

U MAD G

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jaydude
So was the answer for insects ventilation per minute 6 or 6.7?

Anyone?!?
Reply 4222
Where is the mock/unofficial mark scheme?
Original post by walkers38
BIOL2 UNOFFICIAL MARK SCHEME

1a(i) Centromere [1]
a(ii) attaches to spindle fibres; and splitting during anaphase [2]
b) different alleles [1]
c) the chromosomes had divided into chromatids [1]
d) three chromosomes drawn; different shape [2]
d) Crossing over [1]
2a) groups of organisms; that interbreed to produce fertile offspring [2]
b) 6.98/7;; [2]
c) less plants; less habitat; less food variety [3]
3a) groups within groups; no overlap [2]
b) shows evolutionary relationship [1]
c) least different/most similar amino acids sequence; most similar base pairs; more a.a seq= more closely related [2]
d) B and C had different differences so different amino acid sequences [1]
e) all organisms have it [1]
4a) Sample 1: 15N only;
Sample 2: 14N/15N;
Sample 3: 14N/15N and 14N only [3]
b) breaks H bonds in DNA; between complementary base pairs; unzips the strand [2]
c) binds with guanine; complimentary base pair can’t form; DNA can’t zip back [2]
d) cancer cells as they divide more frequently [1]
e) prevents formation of cell wall; osmotic lysis [1]
5a) vertical gene transmission; passes resistant gene to next generation [2]
b) (The scientists used many patients) to make results more reliable [1]
c) (True) Hypochlorite had most no. of bacteria killed;
(False) SD overlap so no real difference/more likely to be chance; no control dish used; need to test on more disinfectants [3]
d) Mutated; resistant gene; [2]
6a) Quaternary: Haemoglobin only
Condensation: All 3;
Nitrogen: Haemoglobin only [3]
b) 16%. [1]
c) (The fetal haemoglobin had) a higher affinity; associates/loads oxygen more readily [2]
d) respiration occurs; haemoglobin has lower affinity; oxygen unloaded easily for respiration. [2]
e) (no symptoms because) adult haemoglobin present [1]
7a) (Founder effect is when) few/30 individuals from Swiss population colonised a new region; fewer different allele/reduced gene pool; (making it) less genetically diverse; inbreeding; [3]
b) 250,000. [1]
c) mutation; three bases removed [2]
d) amino acid sequence changes; tertiary structure changes; non functional active site, e-s complex can’t form [2]
8a) mineral ions actively transported to xylem; WP gradient in xylem reduced; water enters xylem by osmosis; water evaporates/transpires via stomata; WP in leaf cells reduced; water drawn up from xylem (by osmosis); creates tension; water molecules cohere/H bonding; continuous column of water [6]
b) (abdominal musle movement) ventilates air; maintains concentration gradient; O2 diffuses in/CO2 diffuses out [2]
c) (small insects have) large SA:Vol ratio [1]
d) 6.7;; [2]
e) 342 % ;; [2]
f) (removal of water) increases O2 conc. in tracheoles/shortens diffusion pathway [1]
9ai) age; species; health conditions? [2]
aii)) (different males used) so previous tests did not influence results; [1]
aiii) Avoid bias [1]
aiv) Paper with no lipid from female [1]
b) (Conclusion was that) length of female was more influential than lipid...? [2]
c) (2 benefits of longer females) more eggs; better predator; successful mating; [2]
d) longer the female, greater the unsaturated fatty acid %; males attracted to high fatty acid% so more attracted to longer females (who have that) [2]
ei) Draw line of best fit; extrapolate [2]
eii) (beyond 75cm) exceeds 100% (so unlikely); [1]
f) (female) won’t recognise/respond [1]

I think I marked myself humbly, only gave myself 3 marks in the 6 mark questions, and left out some marks I wasn't sure about, got 62... I just want to get an A lool!

Let try to help here...

5 b) I said they used different patients as the bacteria could have different strains.
9 a) also said age and species
9 b) I think the bar of the paper was the same height as long snakes. So I said they could have a poor vision and depend more on their other senses like smell. And they couldn't distinguish between paper and snakes
9 d) you might be right.. But I said the longer the snake the better they could protect the eggs and the longer they are the older they are (prob) and more mature so ready to breed

If in January 60 was an A, and this one many people found it hard, hope the boundaries are lower... A "B" would disappointing xD

Now, it's time to eat the chemistry book
(edited 10 years ago)
Sorry if someone has already mentioned this, but how did u get 6 for the spiracle question?
Original post by lorobolorolo
Sorry if someone has already mentioned this, but how did u get 6 for the spiracle question?

graph repeated every 10 seconds.

In a minute, thats 60/10 = 6
Original post by Blobar
Seems plausible seeing 140 UMS is max. Lol.

Original post by nich01as
So full marks you reckon? thanks :smile:

Oops, thought 150 UMS was max, sorry:colondollar: Yeah will be mate, congrats you killed it!!
Reply 4227
For 9a could you say age and body mass?
Original post by Chrisd00100
I think I marked myself humbly, only gave myself 3 marks in the 6 mark questions, and left out some marks I wasn't sure about, got 62... I just want to get an A lool!

Let try to help here...

5 b) I said they used different patients as the bacteria could have different strains.
9 a) also said age and species
9 b) I think the bar of the paper was the same height as long snakes. So I said they could have a poor vision and depend more on their oth
heheer senses like smell. And they couldn't distinguish between paper and snakes
9 d) you might be right.. But I said the longer the snake the better they could protect the eggs and the longer they are the older they are (prob) and more mature so ready to breed

If in January 60 was an A, and this one many people found it hard, hope the boundaries are lower... A "B" would disappointing xD

Now, it's time to eat the chemistry book

Hehe definitely need to go eat my chemistry book as well, so much to do before tomorrow!!!:smile:
Reply 4229
Grade Boundaries?
Original post by Jaydude
graph repeated every 10 seconds.

In a minute, thats 60/10 = 6

Thankss soo much. I can't believe I made some stupid mistake on this question :frown:
Reply 4231
Original post by cheetahs56

You can't get more than 140 ums.
Reply 4232
I think I got around 50 marks. I really fluffed up in the haeomoglobin question! Anybody have any ideas what 50 marks would be?
Original post by dooobie_
I think I got around 50 marks. I really fluffed up in the haeomoglobin question! Anybody have any ideas what 50 marks would be?

I would say that the exam was much harder than Jan 13, so around a B I would say :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lorobolorolo

It would open every 16 seconds. If you divide a 60 by 16, it would be 6.75 or something. But of course you can't say 6.75 times, but 6 times. Not 7 because you can't round it in this case
Reply 4235
Original post by MrMikeEsq
In the one saying why is cytochrome better than haemoglobin, what did you put?
I was gonna say they all have it but then again wouldnt they all have haemoglobin?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I said haemoglobin changes shape and then crossed it out and said haemoglobin is made of many proteins

What was the actual answer?

Posted from TSR Mobilehh
Original post by LiamDaly
I said haemoglobin changes shape and then crossed it out and said haemoglobin is made of many proteins

Posted from TSR Mobilehh

I said it has a slightly different shape in different organisms since some organisms have a higher affinity for O2 and some have a lower affinity...no idea if it is right though. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobilehh

Not all organism have haemoglobin... There will be "allow" answers as well so if you are lucky...

Posted from TSR Mobilehh

You fool!

Not all organisms have haemoglobin or by extension blood: Some have myoglobin, others get their O2 by diffusion.

However all(?) organisms respire and therefore have cytochrome C and so you can compare the relationship between ANY two organisms.

For the question about why it would be advantageous for snakes to choose partners with longer bodies, what did people put?
Original post by Swords N Thorns
I said it has a slightly different shape in different organisms since some organisms have a higher affinity for O2 and some have a lower affinity...no idea if it is right though. :tongue:

I just said about how haemoglobin can be similar within two organisms even if theyre not very closely related, but have same requirements, whereas the cytochrome will show the genetic differences.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending