The Student Room Group

Official OCR GCSE Latin Language June 2013

Hi guys! Thought I'd make a thread for this exam just to see how prepared everyone is, and your thoughts on it after it's taken.

(By the way this is A402H)

I have made a thread if anyone wanted to discuss their verse or prose In specific:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2373267
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not too worried about it, to be honest. A401 was fine.
Reply 2
Original post by alexgr97
Not too worried about it, to be honest. A401 was fine.

Agreed, the only thing that threw me was 'In capite' - which I said was 'on his head'.
Reply 3
Original post by Pingui
Agreed, the only thing that threw me was 'In capite' - which I said was 'on his head'.

That's right, as it's ablative. :smile:

I hadn't realised there were different vocab lists for A401 and 2 - words I knew were glossed, can't complain!
Reply 4
Original post by thelyphron
That's right, as it's ablative. :smile:

I hadn't realised there were different vocab lists for A401 and 2 - words I knew were glossed, can't complain!

Yeah, I thinks there is a total of 620 words all together. Also are you studying thelyphron for your prose literature?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Woop latin! this is the harder language paper if I am right, with the last one regarding the apples and Atlas??? Anyone got any tips for the harder one on wednesday? I dont want to revise too much as I have biology the same day so what are the grammar points worth learning? Also who is doing Pliny, Apuleius and Virgil for literature?
Reply 6
Original post by FergusJVL
Woop latin! this is the harder language paper if I am right, with the last one regarding the apples and Atlas??? Anyone got any tips for the harder one on wednesday? I dont want to revise too much as I have biology the same day so what are the grammar points worth learning? Also who is doing Pliny, Apuleius and Virgil for literature?

Looks like I am doing all the same as you! Also look out for iaceo (lie) and iacio (throw).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Pingui
Yeah, I thinks there is a total of 620 words all together. Also are you studying thelyphron for your prose literature?

Yes indeed (I know - classy username, eh?).

I'm not really bothering with meticulous revision of all the grammatical constructions before Wednesday, just doing a couple of hard translations. How about you guys?
Reply 8
Original post by thelyphron
Yes indeed (I know - classy username, eh?).

I'm not really bothering with meticulous revision of all the grammatical constructions before Wednesday, just doing a couple of hard translations. How about you guys?

I think it's definitely advisable to at least knows the basics of all of the grammar constructions, especially those fiendish ones, but apart from that the best thing is to probably translate some hard texts like you.
Hey everyone, I'm taking this as well. Where are you finding these 'hard texts' to translate? I've got a book full of practice passages but they don't come with the english translations so, although I can see what sort of stuff to expect, I can't actually properly check my answers.
Reply 10
I've also got this exam tommorow, i'm just doing vocab revision, along with flicking through past papers and some basic grammar. How about everyone else? Any tips for paper 2?
Reply 11
Just go over vocab, noun and verb endings, ablative absolutes, accusative and infinitives, uses of the subjunctive and you're all set!!

yeahh i'm doing virgil and plini :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by effortlesswhirl
Hey everyone, I'm taking this as well. Where are you finding these 'hard texts' to translate? I've got a book full of practice passages but they don't come with the english translations so, although I can see what sort of stuff to expect, I can't actually properly check my answers.

If you go on the OCR website, and look at their past papers for a402h, you can translate the texts and then just use the mark schemes. Also you can then work out the similarities between the exams.

For Virgil, and Plini there are no past papers so there is no point looking for them. You might as well try to make up your own, such as for the ten markers and the eight markers.
Original post by Pingui
If you go on the OCR website, and look at their past papers for a402h, you can translate the texts and then just use the mark schemes. Also you can then work out the similarities between the exams.

For Virgil, and Plini there are no past papers so there is no point looking for them. You might as well try to make up your own, such as for the ten markers and the eight markers.

Ah, cheers! (can't believe I didn't think of that)

Man, I need to start learning my latin literature at some point... >.>
Reply 14
Original post by effortlesswhirl
Ah, cheers! (can't believe I didn't think of that)

Man, I need to start learning my latin literature at some point... >.>

No problem
anyone got any quick and easy ways to learn noun endings?
Reply 16
Hi could anyone help me with Sagae Thessally, like do you have any notes on the effects of the language etc. would be a great help!
Thanks
Reply 17
Original post by cumberkins23
anyone got any quick and easy ways to learn noun endings?

You just have to learn them... I always look at the tables just before the exam and the first thing I do, before I've even glanced at the rest of the paper, is write them out.

Good luck!
Original post by gracey11
You just have to learn them... I always look at the tables just before the exam and the first thing I do, before I've even glanced at the rest of the paper, is write them out.

Good luck!

ok thanks I will try writing them out at the start!

good luck to you too, hope it goes well!
Reply 19
Original post by gracey11

Good luck!

thats exactly what I do, saves me time from trying to remember them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending