The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Original post by nksunny
true, but i am still confused do we just skip out 4f and jump straight onto 5s2 5p6? ... ugghh !!!!

Yeah, I advice you to follow this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqWL0WMtlYk
Reply 541
Original post by tigerz
Yeah, I advice you to follow this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqWL0WMtlYk

AHHHH ... thanks a lot ... makes so much more sense now ... PANIC over :smile:
Reply 543
Original post by nksunny
AHHHH ... thanks a lot ... makes so much more sense now ... PANIC over :smile:

Haha no problem :smile: I quite like electronic config, out of all the past papers Chlorine always gets asked and Iodines outer sub-shell has only been asked once!
can anyone explain how a double bond can be nucleophilic if it has got plenty of electrons ( shouldn't it just be electrophilic? ) i'm getting this from the revision guide page 95 by the way.
Reply 545
Original post by tigerz
Haha no problem :smile: I quite like electronic config, out of all the past papers Chlorine always gets asked and Iodines outer sub-shell has only been asked once!

yeah it was the iodine one which i was stuck on ... i didn't knw how to work it out cause the mark scheme said 5p6 and i ended up with 4f8 because i went up the spdf scale thing, only knw we could jump from 3p-4s-3d and no more jumping further on, obviously i was wrong -_- ... but this had made things very clear now :smile:
Reply 546
Original post by madrevision
can anyone explain how a double bond can be nucleophilic if it has got plenty of electrons ( shouldn't it just be electrophilic? ) i'm getting this from the revision guide page 95 by the way.

Neucleophiles are electron pair donors - so they have many electrons i.e. a lone pair or in this case an electron dense area like a double bond. Electrophiles do not have enough electrons they are electron pair acceptors.
Original post by madrevision

It bonds by donating a pair of lone electrons in a dative covalent bond so a double bond is kind of like a nucleophile.

Although you will be more asked about an electrophile bonding with the double bond not the other way round.
How would you draw the monomer of 1,3-butadiene?

It's on June 2011 pre release
Reply 549
Now that I'm in the right thread: Anyone got the list of reaction conditions that we need to know please?
Reply 550
Original post by davelittle
how would you draw the monomer of 1,3-butadiene?

It's on june 2011 pre release

ch2=ch-ch=ch2
The numbers tell you where the double bonds go :smile:
Reply 551
Original post by nksunny
yeah it was the iodine one which i was stuck on ... i didn't knw how to work it out cause the mark scheme said 5p6 and i ended up with 4f8 because i went up the spdf scale thing, only knw we could jump from 3p-4s-3d and no more jumping further on, obviously i was wrong -_- ... but this had made things very clear now :smile:

Awesome :smile: Yeah we never need to say elements with f anyways so you should be fine :smile:
Reply 552
Original post by xomaxhox
Now that I'm in the right thread: Anyone got the list of reaction conditions that we need to know please?

Post 33
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2310133&page=2&page=2
Original post by Davelittle
It bonds by donating a pair of lone electrons in a dative covalent bond so a double bond is kind of like a nucleophile.

Although you will be more asked about an electrophile bonding with the double bond not the other way round.
that's my point- if the double bond is a nucleophile how can it also be nucleophilic (or did the revision guide make a mistake here ) :confused:
Original post by super121
ch2=ch-ch=ch2
The numbers tell you where the double bonds go :smile:

Sorry I meant the repeating unit! :smile:
Reply 556
Original post by xomaxhox

here you go :biggrin:
Reply 557
can someone explain half-equations to me please?
which end of the equation do you add the electrons?
Original post by tasniaa
can someone explain half-equations to me please?
which end of the equation do you add the electrons?
it depends on the equation e.g if you asked to write a half equation of the formation of chlorine molecules from chloride ions you'd get 2Cl- >Cl2 + 2e but if it was the formation of chloride ions then the half equation would be the other way around, just make sure you read the question carefully :smile:
Reply 559
Original post by Whostolemycookie
Another question, when doing past papers do you analyses the advance notice it comes with?

i asked my teacher this. He said because it's specific, it's better to see what kind of questions they usually ask with the pre-release. So that's what I do.

Latest