The Student Room Group

A2 Economics - F585 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by bigblois
yeah growth - increase in gdp
development - increase in living standards

Reply 581
[QUOTE="KaranbirBandesha;42939402"]maybe cause of bad education and no skills?[/QUOTE

One possibility is the large income inequality between Tallinn and other less developed/rural areas, thus these people may find it difficult to enter the labor force (occupational/geographical immobility) you could also bring the argument of relative poverty with your answer.

hope that helps
Reply 582
Original post by Infamous12
Is this a good explanation of why Latvia needed high FDI + borrowing from other countries?

The people of Lativa had low levels of income, which lead to low saving = low investment and also the fact that the people of Latvia has pent up unsatisfied demand due to being in a centrally planned economy (and have now successfully transitioned into a market economy). FDI + Loans provided them with investment, without the people needing to save money to invest themselves, which meant that they were able to achieve higher output levels and satify their demand relatively quickly.

I think the reason they had a high level on FDI and gov debt was due to them being a new European countrie with high levels of expected growth which led to high confidence in consumer and investors, the problem was this inward investment created large asset bubbles which had no real effect on the supply side of the economy so when the financial crisis occurred, many investor and banks lost money. Ive gone a bit of your Q but i dont think you would get asked that, but if you where to put your answer you could refer to the harold and domar theory of economic growth.
Original post by ajizzle23
Original post by KaranbirBandesha
maybe cause of bad education and no skills?

One possibility is the large income inequality between Tallinn and other less developed/rural areas, thus these people may find it difficult to enter the labor force (occupational/geographical immobility) you could also bring the argument of relative poverty with your answer.

hope that helps

thankyouu that makes sense!
Has anyone answered all the questions on the tutor2u toolkit and could send them to me cause i'm really struggling with the 10 mark questions
Reply 585
Quick Question: why is solving income inequality (e.g. in terms of having a progressive tax) a sustainable policy?
Original post by ikn0ican
Quick Question: why is solving income inequality (e.g. in terms of having a progressive tax) a sustainable policy?

Income inequality does not satisfy the social objectives of sustainable development. It may result from wage differentials between managers and low paid exploited workers.
A progressive taxation system takes a higher proportion of income from the rich so helps to redistribute the income generated from growth. Without such policies, there will be a situation where affluence and poverty could coexist, meaning some people have low living standards and economic well-being despite the high GDP per capita levels.
Anyone want to be brave and predict the exact wording of the essay question?!
Original post by paramountor

Discuss the extent to which Estonia has progressed towards sustainable development???

Discuss the effectiveness of economic growth as a method of promoting sustainable economic development :tongue:
Original post by KaranbirBandesha
Has anyone answered all the questions on the tutor2u toolkit and could send them to me cause i'm really struggling with the 10 mark questions

My teacher said a lot of the questions on the tutor2u aren't relevent, so don't worry if you can't answer them. Just make sure you know the main parts of the extracts exchange rates, fdi. eurozone, eu. ect.
Original post by Medicinehopeful.
Discuss the effectiveness of economic growth as a method of promoting sustainable economic development :tongue:

Here would you talk about how EG causes development...
Then go on to say why EG doesn't necessary result in ED and the ways in which it can actually hinder it.

Then it depends on how EG is used, achieved to the extent to which it promotes SD.

Is that the way you would answer it?
Original post by jordan6278
Here would you talk about how EG causes development...
Then go on to say why EG doesn't necessary result in ED and the ways in which it can actually hinder it.

Then it depends on how EG is used, achieved to the extent to which it promotes SD.

Is that the way you would answer it?

Yeah, pretty much. Like how economics growth creates jobs due to derived demand. More people have more disposable income, therefore their living standards increase. And the government gets more tax revenue, so they can spend it on health care ect which would promote development, as education is a component of HDI.

Also talk about how it can be sustainable, and how it can't for example pollution, and it won't be sustainable if there is no increase in LRAS. That's only a few points but you get the drift.:tongue:
Discuss the extent to which Estonia’s transition to a market economy has enabled it to achieve sustainable development (20)

help please?
Original post by Medicinehopeful.

I think this too!

I can't see it being (of course I'm probably wrong now I've said this :tongue: ) just 'Discuss the extent to which Estonia has progressed towards sustainable development', there's just so little basis for analysis in a question like that.
Original post by ChoccyWoccy
I think this too!

I can't see it being (of course I'm probably wrong now I've said this :tongue: ) just 'Discuss the extent to which Estonia has progressed towards sustainable development', there's just so little basis for analysis in a question like that.

Yeah, my teacher pretty much lifted this essay from the introduction. And he's put a lot of emphasis on this essay! Hope it comes up.

And I don't think it could be that either, only things i could think of is what is in the case study. :O

Discuss the extent to which economic growth is consistent with sustainable development in Estonia?
Maybe it's too obvious a question though haha, I'm just praying to God that nothing about sustainability/development INDICATORS come up or else I will probably have a mental breakdown on the spot.
Reply 597
A question I thought, that I haven't seen anyone else mention yet is:

Discuss why Estonia lags behind the rest of the EU in terms of development.

I feel this question allows more room for analysis and evaluation.
Original post by lduike
A question I thought, that I haven't seen anyone else mention yet is:

Discuss why Estonia lags behind the rest of the EU in terms of development.

I feel this question allows more room for analysis and evaluation.

I'd involve relative poverty and economic inequality to start off with, but not sure about anything else

discuss the policies that Estonia could introduce to promote sustianble development

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending