The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Strathclyde University: Ask a current student.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Zepploydath
1. How do you go about getting involved in the societies and stuff? I want to get involved in the tennis team and hopefully play competitively and I want to so what else there'd be available, especially related to sport or music. Are there lots of opportunities to join them during freshers? And do I pay a yearly fee to have access to all gym/sport equipment or do you pay separately?

Hiya!

During Freshers' Week there's the Freshers' Fair when all the clubs and societies & sport clubs have tables around the union and the sports building and there they have sign up sheets and such. You don't have to officially join anything right at the events, they're SUPER packed and busy but if you just pop your email to things they'll get back to you. :smile: All clubs and societies take a fee and understandably sports take higher fees than the non-sports clubs to cover for equipment and such. The sports club fee usually covers equipment but do make sure by asking the club directly! But, in order to be a member of a sports club, you have to become a member of the Sports Union. I believe it's about £20-30, can't remember from the top of my head. The facilities you use also require a separate cost. More info here: http://www.sportsunion.co.uk

The music societies at Strathclyde are amazing! I just started in the chorus and it's loads of fun, plus I have a friend who plays in the concert band and jazz orchestra and he's enjoyed them a lot. :smile:
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
Original post by alaska.
Heeey :smile:

I am a first year IBML student, so I get teaching within the Business School and the HASS department as I currently study 4 business subjects and two languages :smile:

If anybody has any questions concerning the Business School, IBML (French, Spanish, Economics and Management Science in particular) quote me and I will answer you as soon as possible.

I also live in halls (Thomas Campbell Court to be precise) and can give some advice on that too.

I feel obliged to complain about Strathclyde's sh***y Wi-fi. Eduroam is almost never working in our halls, so everybody is using their ethernet cable and the Eduroam in the Library is very funky and kinda decides when it is going to work or not. I grew very accustomed to using library computers now, as they have a bigger screen and are all connected via ethernet cables, so they are all pretty fast. Opening times can be annoying, but the last VP of Education has informed us that if people are going to make good use of the 24 hours opening times in the May/ June Exam diet, it will be most likely implemented for the upcoming years. Normally the Vice Presidents and Class Reps contribute a lot to make your experience better and solve any major issues.
I almost live in the library, it doesn't have many windows, but I think that is alright, they have great group discussion facilities (including soundproof rooms with big screens).

I also think that the University Gym is very well equipped and has enough machines so that people do not need to wait until their preferred machines are free.

Overall, I absolutely love studying at Strathclyde. The support within the Business School is amazing and lecturers&tutors listen and help you as well as they can!

Anybody wanting more info about Business, IBML and languages just quote me :smile: I am happy to help! xxx

Hello, I have got a offer for the IBML degree, I was wondering how many hours of language classes do you get a week?
Reply 22
Original post by animelover123
Hello, I have got a offer for the IBML degree, I was wondering how many hours of language classes do you get a week?

I get two classes/tutorials for French (IBML 1) and three for Spanish (as I started Spanish from scratch - Intro to Spanish). Next year I will take French IBML 2 and Spanish IBML 2 which both take place twice a week. You don't get lectures or oral classes within that degree however you get enough practice during class. You have weekly listening or grammar online tests that contribute a minor percentage to your final mark.

Hope this helps x
Reply 23
kindly reply how is msc finance course and also some guidelines for accommodation , is university hall are good or shud look outside , how about the student life in university
Reply 24
Hey,

I have a question about the language requirements and hope you can answer it. A few weeks ago I received an conditional offer for International Business, due to I'm german I was asked to prove evidence of my english skills.

My problem is that I received an overall score of 95 in the TOEFL-Test which is enough for Strathclyde. Unfortunately I received only 20 points in the Listening section which is one single point under the requirements. Would this single point be a problem? Strathclyde did not answered my mails yet so I hope you can tell me my options.
Reply 25
Original post by Doxxton
Hey,

I have a question about the language requirements and hope you can answer it. A few weeks ago I received an conditional offer for International Business, due to I'm german I was asked to prove evidence of my english skills.

My problem is that I received an overall score of 95 in the TOEFL-Test which is enough for Strathclyde. Unfortunately I received only 20 points in the Listening section which is one single point under the requirements. Would this single point be a problem? Strathclyde did not answered my mails yet so I hope you can tell me my options.

Hi,

to be honest, this is something you need to sort out with the university - only they will know. When did you send the e-mail? I have a ground rule that if I don't hear from them in 7-14 days (depends on the situation), I straight up call them. I know it's a bit costly calling from abroad, but it's just so much faster to get your things through that way.
Reply 26
Original post by lyrical_lie
Hi there,

I'm a third year law student, heavily involved in the uni, clubs, societies, the union etc. So if you have any questions bring them here and I'll do my best to answer them. If I don't know I'll find out for you. :awesome:

Oh and quote me or I might not see it :biggrin:

Hi! This has probably already came up, but I just wondered whether someone could tell me whether I am likely to get one of my choices of accommodation.. I have a conditional offer, so wondered whether that would mean that I was less likely to get one of my accommodation preferences? Does it work that unconditional offer holders get their first or second choice and other applicants may get one of their lower choices or somewhere completely different?

I am still trying to decide between two unis for my firm and just wanted to see whether I'd end up somewhere I liked or not... I'm not a really big party person, so really don't want to be in Birkbeck; if I do put Strathclyde as my firm, which I think I probably will, I think I'll put James Goold and Chancellors Hall after that I'm not sure. Do these seem like sensible choices? Final question (honest!) can any current or ex Strath students that stayed in halls tell me how good they are at selecting your flatmates?

Sorry for all the questions! :colondollar:
Reply 27
Original post by lulo
Hi! This has probably already came up, but I just wondered whether someone could tell me whether I am likely to get one of my choices of accommodation.. I have a conditional offer, so wondered whether that would mean that I was less likely to get one of my accommodation preferences?

Does it work that unconditional offer holders get their first or second choice and other applicants may get one of their lower choices or somewhere completely different?

I'm not sure about these but I will ask my boyfriend who lived in halls and get back to you :smile:

I am still trying to decide between two unis for my firm and just wanted to see whether I'd end up somewhere I liked or not... I'm not a really big party person, so really don't want to be in Birkbeck; if I do put Strathclyde as my firm, which I think I probably will, I think I'll put James Goold and Chancellors Hall after that I'm not sure. Do these seem like sensible choices?
To be honest all the halls are quite similar I've been to a huge party in Chancellors it's just that they are dearer with en suites. Birkbeck is fairly partyish but tbf all of them are, it's student accomodation. But it's not 24/7 like people think. Usually freshers and then people start to settle down when the work loads hits them.

Final question (honest!) can any current or ex Strath students that stayed in halls tell me how good they are at selecting your flatmates?
Again I'll ask my boyfriend this :smile:

Sorry for all the questions! :colondollar:

Haiya :smile:

Sorry for the delay uni work and all that.

Answers in your question in bold and congrats on your conditional .
Gemma :smile:
Reply 28
Some parts in the campus aren't as loud as others, I would say James Blyth Court is VERY, VERY quiet. And well, some rooms are just shaped very oddly like my own and doesn't make any sense, but I'd say that all the rooms are probably around the same size except that Birkbeck has very small rooms and I think James Goold is more spacious than the rest?
Reply 29
Original post by alaska.
Heeey :smile:

I am a first year IBML student, so I get teaching within the Business School and the HASS department as I currently study 4 business subjects and two languages :smile:

If anybody has any questions concerning the Business School, IBML (French, Spanish, Economics and Management Science in particular) quote me and I will answer you as soon as possible.

I also live in halls (Thomas Campbell Court to be precise) and can give some advice on that too.

I feel obliged to complain about Strathclyde's sh***y Wi-fi. Eduroam is almost never working in our halls, so everybody is using their ethernet cable and the Eduroam in the Library is very funky and kinda decides when it is going to work or not. I grew very accustomed to using library computers now, as they have a bigger screen and are all connected via ethernet cables, so they are all pretty fast. Opening times can be annoying, but the last VP of Education has informed us that if people are going to make good use of the 24 hours opening times in the May/ June Exam diet, it will be most likely implemented for the upcoming years. Normally the Vice Presidents and Class Reps contribute a lot to make your experience better and solve any major issues.
I almost live in the library, it doesn't have many windows, but I think that is alright, they have great group discussion facilities (including soundproof rooms with big screens).

I also think that the University Gym is very well equipped and has enough machines so that people do not need to wait until their preferred machines are free.

Overall, I absolutely love studying at Strathclyde. The support within the Business School is amazing and lecturers&tutors listen and help you as well as they can!

Anybody wanting more info about Business, IBML and languages just quote me :smile: I am happy to help! xxx

Hey :smile: I have a conditional offer to study French and Spanish starting this September at Strathclyde :smile: was just wondering what the time table is like as a first year, also what the language classes are like? :smile: thanks
.. Rhiannon
Do you know anyone who studies pharmacy? If you do, can you please ask what's the first year like and also what's the univerisity like? Do you enjoy it?
Reply 31
I don't really have any questions regarding university life, I'm a 5th year but my uncle teaches law at the university, what's he like as a lecturer, just curious haha? Prof Clark is his name :tongue:
Reply 32
Original post by rhiii
Hey :smile: I have a conditional offer to study French and Spanish starting this September at Strathclyde :smile: was just wondering what the time table is like as a first year, also what the language classes are like? :smile: thanks
.. Rhiannon

Hey Rhiannon :smile:

sorry I am replying so late! I totally overlooked that you commented on my post! I can't tell you exactly what the timetable is like for French as I take a Business French class and for Spanish I took an Intro to Spanish class. Have you studied both of the languages before? I think you get two lectures and tutorials for french, and even an oral class. For the Intro to Spanish class I had three classes each week and an oral classes that I didnt need to attend because I do IBML. I really enjoyed the Spanish department, I really like the classes. French has a strong focus on business content for me, so I can't comment on that too much! :/ but maybe you'll find someone who can give you some advice more specifically! Congrats for your offer! :smile:
Reply 33
Ask the current student.
I'm going to book for Collegeland. Have you ever heard about any problem?
For example, the building is too big, and the heat cannot spread well, or internet is so slow.
Reply 34
Original post by sweetestwave
Hey guys, I'm a first year maths student and a member of the archery club, if anyone has any questions about maths or archery let me know. Anything else, I think other people here are better qualified to answer you :tongue:

i'm doing maths this year! what's the course like? is it just basically advanced higher again? and what are the lectures like... are there a lot of hours a week too?
Original post by Blue7195
i'm doing maths this year! what's the course like? is it just basically advanced higher again? and what are the lectures like... are there a lot of hours a week too?

I love the course :smile:

The calculus classes(one 20-credit class each semester) are mostly advanced higher material, but quite often done in a different way/covered in more detail.
Some advanced higher stuff(matrices and vectors) is covered in the geometry part of the Geometry & Applications class in the second semester.
There's also an Applications class which lasts for both semesters but has a different lecturer and topics for each semester: that stuff's all new, and everyone seems to either love it or hate it.
As for statistics...I hope you like group work.

The lectures and lecturers tend to be good. There are a couple of lecturers that really rub me up the wrong way, but that doesn't mean they're bad at teaching :tongue:

The hours aren't too bad. You don't have to do a vast amount of work at home to pass, but if you want to do well then you will have to work for it.

Hope that was helpful, feel free to ask about anything else :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by sweetestwave
I love the course :smile:

The calculus classes(one 20-credit class each semester) are mostly advanced higher material, but quite often done in a different way/covered in more detail.
Some advanced higher stuff(matrices and vectors) is covered in the geometry part of the Geometry & Applications class in the second semester.
There's also an Applications class which lasts for both semesters but has a different lecturer and topics for each semester: that stuff's all new, and everyone seems to either love it or hate it.
As for statistics...I hope you like group work.

The lectures and lecturers tend to be good. There are a couple of lecturers that really rub me up the wrong way, but that doesn't mean they're bad at teaching :tongue:

The hours aren't too bad. You don't have to do a vast amount of work at home to pass, but if you want to do well then you will have to work for it.

Hope that was helpful, feel free to ask about anything else :smile:

Ah thank you that was very useful! Even more excited now aha!
Reply 37
Original post by keishagreene17
Do you know anyone who studies pharmacy? If you do, can you please ask what's the first year like and also what's the univerisity like? Do you enjoy it?

I've just finished first year of Pharmacy but I'm transferring to Law. First year is pretty bland: just basic science really to Advanced Higher Level. Physical Chemistry is the worst though :P. You get sent on placements in your first year too, but you have no control over where you are placed. I got sent to the back end of beyond in Edinburgh with 5 days notice, but some people got placements in Glasgow. It's alright if you really want to do Pharmacy...just not for me :P.
Anyone about who's doing biomed/biochem? I'd love to ask about the course :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ohh right, thanks!! Did it go well?? Did you change the course because it was too hard or because you decided you want to do something else ?? And also what did you do on these placements??
Sorry for all those questions!
thanks

Original post by Advocat
I've just finished first year of Pharmacy but I'm transferring to Law. First year is pretty bland: just basic science really to Advanced Higher Level. Physical Chemistry is the worst though :P. You get sent on placements in your first year too, but you have no control over where you are placed. I got sent to the back end of beyond in Edinburgh with 5 days notice, but some people got placements in Glasgow. It's alright if you really want to do Pharmacy...just not for me :P.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending