The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FLLF
Could somebody help me? On this paper: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/58629-question-paper-unit-f322-chains-energy-and-resources.pdf
For Q7, the mark scheme says the m/z value of the rightmost peak is 46... but it's 47 according to the graph?

some spectrums have a tiny little peak next to the molecular ion peak - ignore it. its the bigger one thats the m+
Reply 2021
Original post by Sam_1996
That the small M+1 peak cause be the carbon 13 isotope.You ignore that

Original post by needtosucceed=)
some spectrums have a tiny little peak next to the molecular ion peak - ignore it. its the bigger one thats the m+

Thanks!
Hi guys, simple question here.
Can we make esters with secondary alcohols? If so, any difference in naming them?
Reply 2023
Has anyone done the specimen?
If you have did you find the mark scheme was wrong in a few places?

Didn't do it but in the specimens I done (F324 and F325 specimens), they were mistakes in the mark scheme so I believe you are right.
Reply 2024
Halogenation, hydrogenation and hydrogen halogenation of alkenes and adding steam to alkenes are all addition reactions right? (Which ones are nucleophillic and which are electrophillic)? :/
Original post by Polypocus
Can we make esters with secondary alcohols? If so, any difference in naming them?

yea you can, they wont ask you to name them though (but yea the naming is different)
Reply 2026
Original post by sladyy96
Halogenation, hydrogenation and hydrogen halogenation of alkenes and adding steam to alkenes are all addition reactions right? (Which ones are nucleophillic and which are electrophillic)? :/

They are all electrophillic additon.
Original post by Namod
Didn't do it but in the specimens I done (F324 and F325 specimens), they were mistakes in the mark scheme so I believe you are right.

Yes I need to know this as well if it was but-2-ol and ethanol acid would we get but-2-yl ethanoate
Reply 2028
Original post by sladyy96

Yes they are all electrophillic additions
Nucleophillic substitution reaction is hydrolosis
yea you can, they wont ask you to name them though (but yea the naming is different)

Okay thanks!
Reply 2030
Do we need to explain why branching in halogenoalkanes effects their rate of hydrolysis?
Reply 2031
Original post by Loiks94
Yes I need to know this as well if it was but-2-ol and ethanol acid would we get but-2-yl ethanoate

whats wrong with that?
Hey can anyone please help me? Im stuck on the may 23rd 2012 paper, question 2d? I don't understand how they draw that, I get the first bit of the ester, but where does the extra CH2 come from? If anyone could answer? Would appreciate it thanks
This is what comes up in the mark scheme http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/135164-mark-scheme-unit-f322-chains-energy-and-resources-june.pdf
Original post by FLLF
Could somebody help me? On this paper: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/58629-question-paper-unit-f322-chains-energy-and-resources.pdf
For Q7, the mark scheme says the m/z value of the rightmost peak is 46... but it's 47 according to the graph?

In the mass spectrum there is sometimes a smaller peak after the molecular ion, it is usually obvious because it will be so tiny, it's something to do with the presence of the isotope 13 but we don't need to know about that, look for the tallest peak of the highest m/z value if that makes sense! That's why it is 46 not 47 :smile:
Has anyone done the specimen?
If you have did you find the mark scheme was wrong in a few places?

Yeah! Think the combustion equation was wrong! Ha
Original post by FLLF
Do we need to explain why branching in halogenoalkanes effects their rate of hydrolysis?

yea it has come up once. you can deduce how its affected using data they give you on the rate of hydrolysis so its not something you have to necessarily memorise
Original post by FLLF

i don't think so , i think we just have to know about how polarity and bond enthalpy affects the rate of hydrolysis
Original post by Polypocus

We just need to know for primary alcohols
Reply 2038
Original post by FLLF

Yes it was in the Jan 2011 paper
yea it has come up once. you can deduce how its affected using data they give you on the rate of hydrolysis so its not something you have to necessarily memorise

Is that like primary halogenalkanes hydrolyse faster than secondary and terisary?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending