The Student Room Group

Edexcel - Chemistry Unit 2 - 4 June 2013

Poll

Which topic(s) are you finding most difficult?

Hey guys :smile:

Well I couldn't find a thread for this, so thought I would make one :smile:

Specification: http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCE%20New%20GCE/UA024832%20GCE%20in%20Chemistry%20Issue%204%20250510.pdf

Past papers: http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce08/chemistry/Pages/default.aspx

If anyone has any good online resources for this unit in particular, please do share ! As I haven't come across any myself :smile:

Please ask as many questions as you can in this thread !
Pretty much question the existence of the discipline if you have to :biggrin:

Good luck ! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Heyy, thanks for making this thread. ? I also want a chem site that i can get tips from... Im so lost in organic and my teacher is going too fast. ? So can i plz have a summry of orgNIC? ? THANKS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Mimi85
Heyy, thanks for making this thread. ? I also want a chem site that i can get tips from... Im so lost in organic and my teacher is going too fast. ? So can i plz have a summry of orgNIC? ? THANKS

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can't go wrong with chemguide.co.uk :smile:
If you need a brief summary of organic reactions then I will post it as soon as I find one, or I'll make one myself soon ! I haven't started preparing for this unit in all honesty :tongue:

Is there anything in particular you are having trouble with in organic chemistry?

If there's anything specifically you are stuck with, you can always just post your questions here :smile:
Reply 3
Doing this one again! :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by senz72
Doing this one again! :frown:

Don't worry about it, it could come in handy for unit 5 synopsis :smile:

& a lot of it is in the syllabus anyway....

its just green chemistry, group 1,2 & 7 that we need to go over :smile:
Reply 5
Well im stuck with the reactions and mechanisms, it would be amazing if i got a summary thanks. Do u think unit two is harder or easier than 1..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Mimi85
Well im stuck with the reactions and mechanisms, it would be amazing if i got a summary thanks. Do u think unit two is harder or easier than 1..

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't want to worry you, but I did find the jump from Unit 1 to Unit 2... bigger than the jump from GCSE to unit 1.

The mechanisms take a while to get used to, but its what students generally find easiest in the exams :smile: what book are you using? Have you got the george facer book.... & I find that CGP is generally good at showing & explaining mechanisms :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by posthumus
Don't worry about it, it could come in handy for unit 5 synopsis :smile:

& a lot of it is in the syllabus anyway....

its just green chemistry, group 1,2 & 7 that we need to go over :smile:

Really? Well that may come in handy.

I think I'm going to struggle again though!
Reply 8
Original post by senz72
Really? Well that may come in handy.

I think I'm going to struggle again though!

I got a U in January lol :tongue:

You will be fine though :smile:
Unit 5 & unit 2 go well together in my opinion.

Do you have the george facer book for AS ?
Reply 9
I got a U in January lol :tongue:

You will be fine though :smile:
Unit 5 & unit 2 go well together in my opinion.

Do you have the george facer book for AS ?

No, I've only got A2. I might find someone to borrow it off from!

Be careful because they only take the better out of two!
Reply 10
Original post by senz72
No, I've only got A2. I might find someone to borrow it off from!

Be careful because they only take the better out of two!

Yup make sure you do ! :smile: & just read through the 4 chapters I mentioned. CGP revision guide is great too !

I'm sitting this unit for the third time... does the best grade still count?
Reply 11
Yup make sure you do ! :smile: & just read through the 4 chapters I mentioned. CGP revision guide is great too !

I'm sitting this unit for the third time... does the best grade still count?

Alright, I'll try.

I've got this crash course thing tomorrow and it requests me to revise Unit 2 (though I thought it would render it pointless then).
So I have to spend all of tomorrow morning going skimming through the syllabus.

Also I heard you get to keep the best out of the last two attempts but I think I may be wrong and they've changed to unlimited attempts. I'd get a second opinion. :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by senz72
Alright, I'll try.

I've got this crash course thing tomorrow and it requests me to revise Unit 2 (though I thought it would render it pointless then).
So I have to spend all of tomorrow morning going skimming through the syllabus.

Also I heard you get to keep the best out of the last two attempts but I think I may be wrong and they've changed to unlimited attempts. I'd get a second opinion. :smile:

Wow you have a crash course for it, lucky you :tongue: Is it at your school ? :smile:

& thanks !! Hopefully I won't get lower than a D either way :biggrin: aha
Reply 13
Wow you have a crash course for it, lucky you :tongue: Is it at your school ? :smile:

& thanks !! Hopefully I won't get lower than a D either way :biggrin: aha

No, it's tuition after I got a B last year. Parent's insisted. Though it has made chemistry much easier!
Reply 14
Original post by senz72
No, it's tuition after I got a B last year. Parent's insisted. Though it has made chemistry much easier!

Wow lucky you ! Have fun :biggrin:

I had tuition for Chemistry at the beginning of AS last year ! :tongue:

It was just a woman coming over to read me the CGP revision guide lol :smile:
Reply 15
Wow lucky you ! Have fun :biggrin:

I had tuition for Chemistry at the beginning of AS last year ! :tongue:

It was just a woman coming over to read me the CGP revision guide lol :smile:

It's kinda what they do at my crash course.
Reply 16
Original post by senz72
It's kinda what they do at my crash course.

Oh right lol :biggrin: Well as long as you find it useful !

I didn't find it very useful, because she literally just sat down opened up the CGP revision guide and read it for me (not very well) ... found it far too expensive for what I was getting :frown:
Reply 17
Yeah i do have the facer book and the chem red guide, im too lazy to study from facer cuz it gives extra info plus im soo busy with m1 and c2 that it takes up all my time... I have mocks in exactly 1 week, and i didnt start witg chem, im not done with math either ughh this is so much, on top of that failed phy unit
1 so im repeating it!!!! Back to chem, hopfully ill start with george facER soon. dont knw when but soon, whats the key to studying organic..? And can u plz post the syllabus for unit 2...thanks
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Mimi85
Yeah i do have the facer book and the chem red guide, im too lazy to study from facer cuz it gives extra info plus im soo busy with m1 and c2 that it takes up all my time... I have mocks in exactly 1 week, and i didnt start witg chem, im not done with math either ughh this is so much, on top of that failed phy unit
1 so im repeating it!!!! Back to chem, hopfully ill start with george facER soon. dont knw when but soon, whats the key to studying organic..? And can u plz post the syllabus for unit 2...thanks
Posted from TSR Mobile

The George Facer book is exceptionally good :smile: I recommend you read through the whole book (well for this unit anyway), then you can move onto revision guides ! I believe the key is to read through it, then do mechanisms and stuff on scrap paper while you go through books... just keep repeating stuff if you have to ! you get used to the organic chemistry then.

I posted the spec in the first post if that's what your looking for :tongue: http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCE%20New%20GCE/UA024832%20GCE%20in%20Chemistry%20Issue%204%20250510.pdf
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi guys =), any revision notes?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending