The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560
Heyy how would I go from % to pptv?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 561
Original post by madrevision
it depends on the equation e.g if you asked to write a half equation of the formation of chlorine molecules from chloride ions you'd get 2Cl- >Cl2 + 2e but if it was the formation of chloride ions then the half equation would be the other way around, just make sure you read the question carefully :smile:

oh I get it, thank you :biggrin:
Original post by Branny101
Heyy how would I go from % to pptv?

Posted from TSR Mobile
just divide by 100 and multiply by 10 ^12 because if you had 2 pptv - it's the same as 2/1000 000 000 000 as a percentage is 2/1000 000 000 000 x 100.
or 2pptv is 2/ 10 ^12 percentage is 2/10^12 x 100 so you just undo what you've done(i.e divide where you've multiplied) this is kinda hard to explain with large numbers.. :cool:
Reply 563
Original post by tasniaa
you know in the equilibrium questions they state H = +x or -x

how do we know which side is exo/endothermic?

It usually tells u that, the enthalpy change of the reaction e.g. is +450kJmol-1.
In this case, the forward reaction gives this enthalpy change, so the forward reaction will be endothermic, so an increase in temperature will move the position of equilibrium to the right, in the endothermic direction.

Hope this makes sense
Reply 564
Original post by Davelittle
Sorry I meant the repeating unit! :smile:

Just open up the double bonds :smile:
Reply 565
Does anyone know how to represent an electron in a dot and cross diagram for an ion, if it has been electron had come from somewhere else, for instance if i said give the dot and cross diagram for a OH- ion.:confused:
Reply 566
just divide by 100 and multiply by 10 ^12 because if you had 2 pptv - it's the same as 2/1000 000 000 000 as a percentage is 2/1000 000 000 000 x 100.
or 2pptv is 2/ 10 ^12 percentage is 2/10^12 x 100 so you just undo what you've done(i.e divide where you've multiplied) this is kinda hard to explain with large numbers.. :cool:

I'm confused, is it basically:
pptv to percentage /10^12 x 100
percentage to pptv is x 10^12 /100?
Reply 567
Original post by tipani
It usually tells u that, the enthalpy change of the reaction e.g. is +450kJmol-1.
In this case, the forward reaction gives this enthalpy change, so the forward reaction will be endothermic, so an increase in temperature will move the position of equilibrium to the right, in the endothermic direction.

Hope this makes sense

it does, thank you!

So say the equilibrium shifts towards the reactants, does this make more or less products?
Reply 568
Original post by tipani
Does anyone know how to represent an electron in a dot and cross diagram for an ion, if it has been electron had come from somewhere else, for instance if i said give the dot and cross diagram for a OH- ion.:confused:

leave the gained electron clear? like this o
but colour the rest in?

I hope that makes sense xD
Reply 569

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, ty :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SyedaK
I'm confused, is it basically:
pptv to percentage /10^12 x 100
percentage to pptv is x 10^12 /100?
yh basically (I prefer to start by dividing- by 100 to avoid confusion when you're working backwards) so you're right percentage to pptv is /100 then x 10^12 :biggrin:
Reply 571
Can anyone draw vaccum filtration for me pls??
Reply 572
Original post by tasniaa
leave the gained electron clear? like this o
but colour the rest in?

I hope that makes sense xD

Put a square to show it came from something else
Reply 573
yh basically (I prefer to start by dividing- by 100 to avoid confusion when you're working backwards) so you're right percentage to pptv is /100 then x 10^12 :biggrin:

yeah but it's in parts per billion/trillion by VOLUME so it wouldn't be as simple to convert which confuses me!
In the jan 2011 paper i dont get the moles ratio question can somebody please explain it??

With steps please

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 575
Original post by michmic
Can anyone draw vaccum filtration for me pls??

This isn't on the spec?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by super121
Just open up the double bonds :smile:

The mark scheme has a double bond still in?

Take a look- June 2011 f332 Q 5. d) ii. I think!

Really confused :/
Original post by NielsBohrsDad
In the jan 2011 paper i dont get the moles ratio question can somebody please explain it??

With steps please

Posted from TSR Mobile

Imagine you had 58.5g of NaCl (Mr=58.5) that would mean you have 58.5/2g of KCl (because its 2:1 ratio of the compounds)

The moles=mass/Mr so (58.5/2)/74.5=0.39 (because it asks for moles ratio)
Reply 578
Original post by diggerz
i believe it is asking for the technique if its 3 marks or more so how you shake it with sodium hydrogen carbonate to remove acidic impurities then run off the chloroalkane layer and add anhydrous sodium sulfate to remove water then it is purified by distillation :smile:

Ohhh! Yeah I understand that. Thanks.
Reply 579
how do you draw a dot and cross for nitrous oxide?

Latest

Trending

Trending