The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

****in' lolled at the interview

"I asked him if he wants me back, he asked me if I want to come back and in a few minutes our minds were made"

Sounds like a couple of gay lovers getting back together
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by The Assassin
Oops I somehow missed the bit where you said 80+ points, lol. Yeah all the clubs will be in transition so you'll be at an advantage. Reckon United will feel it the most because of Fergie's powers over the years so you'll have a higher chance of getting ahead of them tbh. Think some people overate Pellegrini but I can see him winning the league with City - especially if they get their rumoured targets (Cavani, Isco, Fernandinho etc.)

Not exactly sure what signings we'll make yet... they could potentially decide the difference between 1st and 2nd... (or even 2nd and third :eek:!)

Well, according to twitter (reliable I know :rolleyes:), Jovetic's agent has confirmed he will join Arsenal. So there's one you'll likely be getting.

If I had to make a prediction now I'd say...

City
Chelsea
Arsenal
Manchester United

but even then, it depends on signings. Next season will be amazing.

edit: I just saw your edit and yes, I agree to an extent - I was thinking similarly. I look at City's squad this season and just wonder how exactly they finished so far behind United.

United 4th? :rofl:

SAF has ingrained a winning mentality on the likes of Giggs, Rio, Evra, Vidic, Rooney, Carrick, i.e. the core of our team. It's this mentality that gets us through most of the Premier League season. There's absolutely no way that United will finish outside of the top 2 this season. No chance. Our squad is too strong; we have at least two players for every position.
Original post by Kenan and Kel

SAF has ingrained a winning mentality on the likes of Giggs, Rio, Evra, Vidic, Rooney, Carrick, i.e. the core of our team. It's this mentality that gets us through most of the Premier League season. There's absolutely no way that United will finish outside of the top 2 this season. No chance. Our squad is too strong; we have at least two players for every position.

I think United will finish 3rd next season

Is it? Your midfield is poor(probably the weakest in the top 4), and have aging players like Evra, Ferdinand in key positions. Obviously you have top class in many areas but so do all the top4. Players like Young, Nani, Valencia, Welbeck, Cleverley, Evans are all decent but theres nothing on paper to guarentee a top2 finish at all. Without Fergie you probably wont have that extra 20% any more which often made fairly mundane players look like world beaters.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Is it? Your midfield is poor(probably the weakest in the top 4), and have aging players like Evra, Ferdinand in key positions. Players like Young, Nani, Valencia, Welbeck, Cleverley are all decent but theres nothing on paper to guarentee a top2 finish. Without Fergie these things can become exposed.

I'd agree that our midfield needs improving, and I'm sure that it is top of Moyes' checklist. Evra is aging and we already have Fabio and Buttner both fighting for the opportunity to transition into that left back spot. The same can be said for Evans/Jones/Smalling for Rio's spot. I know that Fergie gets the best out of each player and then some, but there is no reason why that has to stop. Moyes shares this same quality. I think people underrate a lot of our players. While they may not have as much pure quality as other top Premier League talents, they've all been there, at the top of the league, doing it year in year out. They know what it takes. We have a perfect mix of experience and youth and we've maintained this mix for the past 6-7 seasons. SAF left at the perfect time because this squad alone is enough to see us fighting for the Premier League.
Original post by FloatingBallsack
jose mourinho is trash. did nothing at real madrid who are 10x the team chelsea are

next

Firstly why come on here and talk smack and hate, go somewhere else and do that.
Secondly you said Mourinho did nothing at Madrid, was that because he never won the Champions league, or because you just don't know what your taking about and came on here to talk utter BULLS**T.

LMAO. You think you're definitely guaranteed to finish ahead of either City or Chelsea... (or dare I say it, Arsenal? Considering the signings they could make with the large amount of money that can be spent this time). With the loss of SAF United will feel the effects the most out of the new managers... and you think some of your players are enough to not give you just a chance, but guarantee top 2? That's what's funny :rofl2:. Yeah it's possible, but in no way is there 'no way [United] will finish outside of top 2'. #3 is likely. A lot of it is dependent on signings -- but don't worry though, I'm sure Zaha will do a great job in guiding you guys to the top.

In fact, your the only United fan I've seen that's said that... maybe some in the other thread have said something similar, but there have been many that consider Arsenal having a chance to get ahead of United.

Like Zurich said, Fergie's had some of your players playing way above their ability. Will that mentality still be as strong come next season?

Also, cheers for the neg. :rolleyes: You'll finish 3rd or 4th next season.

(edited 10 years ago)
I'm afraid in regards to Manchester United last season, Ferguson made an average team brilliant. I doubt Moyes will be able to do the same, but here's his chance to prove me wrong.
Reply 3208
Ah, CFC finally feels complete.

Feels good.
In fact, your the only United fan I've seen that's said that... maybe some in the other thread have said something similar, but there have been many that consider Arsenal having a chance to get ahead of United.

Really? I haven't heard anyone saying this :laugh: Their squad is a country mile behind us, City or yourselves and all 3 will be strengthening further this summer. Arsenal seem like they're going to spend a bit this summer but can anyone really see them spending the amount required to catch up?

Fergie leaving is a huge loss but we're not suddenly going to slide into oblivion now he's gone. Obviously there are areas of our squad that need addressing (I think this summer we'll finally sign a CM) but you can say that for any club. It's hardly as poor as everyone is making it out to be, I wouldn't say our squad is weaker than yours to be honest. One of Fergie's biggest strengths was squad rotation and it'll be interesting to see how Moyes handles this as Everton had no strength in depth at all. He's inheriting a squad with a winning mentality (which teams like Arsenal lack), for quite a few this season was their first taste of success and they'll be after more. All this ''weak United'' crap everyone keeps spouting will only motivate them further. I don't think we'll win the league next year, but we'll finish comfortably ahead of Arsenal.
Lets be realistic, Mourinho coming back isn't suddenly going to make us world beaters. He needs to stay for a number of years, build a team around Hazard, Mata and Oscar, bring through some homegrown talent to replace Lamps and JT in the coming years and play good football to entertain the fans. We can't expect the Champions League and Premiership every season, there will still be ups and downs, we'll still be hated by every other club for no reason, but we are Chelsea FC and the future looks bright, no matter who plays for or manages our rivals!

And good luck to everyone doing the English AQA exam tomorrow, I know I'm going to need it! :goodluck:
Original post by Yawn-er
Ah, CFC finally feels complete.

Feels good.

On David Luiz:

In his first interview the subject of David Luiz was very briefly touched upon. And, happily, he didn't give a negative answer. He's looking forward to working with the young players, including 'Hazard, Luiz, Oscar, all these player you mention'.
Original post by sr90
Really? I haven't heard anyone saying this :laugh: Their squad is a country mile behind us, City or yourselves and all 3 will be strengthening further this summer. Arsenal seem like they're going to spend a bit this summer but can anyone really see them spending the amount required to catch up?

Fergie leaving is a huge loss but we're not suddenly going to slide into oblivion now he's gone. Obviously there are areas of our squad that need addressing (I think this summer we'll finally sign a CM) but you can say that for any club. It's hardly as poor as everyone is making it out to be, I wouldn't say our squad is weaker than yours to be honest. One of Fergie's biggest strengths was squad rotation and it'll be interesting to see how Moyes handles this as Everton had no strength in depth at all. He's inheriting a squad with a winning mentality (which teams like Arsenal lack), for quite a few this season was their first taste of success and they'll be after more. All this ''weak United'' crap everyone keeps spouting will only motivate them further. I don't think we'll win the league next year, but we'll finish comfortably ahead of Arsenal.

Lol, well there has been a couple of people (not 'many' as I said -- I just wanted to annoy him a little, just like when I said United could come 4th next season).

And yes, I know your squad isn't really weaker than ours -- in some areas we're stronger; in some areas you are. Good point regarding squad rotation (also considering that Moyes is bringing some of his own staff and some the assistants to Fergie have left).

All I'm saying that it's definitely possible for you guys not to be guaranteed top 2; and I know this is turning into a platitude now, but it really will be interesting come the end of the season.

--

If you really want an amusing quote regarding positions, here's one by a Liverpool fan I saw (mostly trolling but still funny :lol:):

"Seriously, the man united dynasty is over. without fergie they have just got an average squad. Sturrgoat (he means sturridge) and goatrez will score a tonne of goals. Not to mention Coutinho and the signings we'll make, we'll be able to get of man united next season.

Next year will be: Chelsea, City (the real manchester club), Arsenal, Liverpool, Man united (moyes lol!)"
(edited 10 years ago)
Sky are offering 4 to 1 on Mourinho remaining unbeaten at home in the premiership.

lol, not really tempting. Although he was unbeaten with Chelsea at home before, the defence was a lot better than it is now.
Reply 3215
LMAO. You think you're definitely guaranteed to finish ahead of either City or Chelsea... (or dare I say it, Arsenal? Considering the signings they could make with the large amount of money that can be spent this time). With the loss of SAF United will feel the effects the most out of the new managers... and you think some of your players are enough to not give you just a chance, but guarantee top 2? That's what's funny :rofl2:. Yeah it's possible, but in no way is there 'no way [United] will finish outside of top 2'. #3 is likely. A lot of it is dependent on signings -- but don't worry though, I'm sure Zaha will do a great job in guiding you guys to the top.

Like Zurich said, Fergie's had some of your players playing way above their ability. Will that mentality still be as strong come next season?

Also, cheers for the neg. :rolleyes: You'll finish 3rd or 4th next season.

Dead this talk about united coming 4th. They're way ahead of arsenal, all they need is a CM and their team is complete. They have a great strikeforce, while the wingers were shocking they've been quality for the past 2/3 seasons since they've come, young was more of a luxury signing, they have very good attacking midfielders in kagawa and rooney, kags can play on the wing as well and started to show his quality late on in the season, carrick is a top player clearly. They need a destroyer CM and a replacement for paul scholes who can dictate a game from deep and get goals from that position. What united have is a big squad that can be rotated and all the players can do a job when required, so the team rarely suffers from fatigue and is why many of the seasons united would be many points behind a team and still catch up and win a title.

Heck, united beat arsenal with 7 defenders in the first 11 2 years ago and it just so happened that the defenders were the ones who absolutely destroyed them. It's more than just a winning mentality, I think there's genuine quality in the squad, not amazing quality but quality none the less and they have experience of winning titles and a mix of youth who will/already have the quality to win titles as well. The team doesn't look like an FM super team but that doesn't matter if utilized properly they'd be better than most of the squads in the league and that's what matters and that's what wins titles. Mourinho did the exact same thing at inter and porto where he had limited funds but utilized the squad to compete on all fronts.
(edited 10 years ago)
I will cry if David Luiz leaves. Please Mourinho keep him in the squad/first team.
Atleast Mourinho will be clever enough to fully transform Luiz to a CM/CDM position because that's his best position.
Reply 3217
Original post by nicseymour
Lets be realistic, Mourinho coming back isn't suddenly going to make us world beaters. He needs to stay for a number of years, build a team around Hazard, Mata and Oscar, bring through some homegrown talent to replace Lamps and JT in the coming years and play good football to entertain the fans. We can't expect the Champions League and Premiership every season, there will still be ups and downs, we'll still be hated by every other club for no reason, but we are Chelsea FC and the future looks bright, no matter who plays for or manages our rivals!

And good luck to everyone doing the English AQA exam tomorrow, I know I'm going to need it! :goodluck:

Not necessarily. I believe we'll hit the ground running, you can see what chelsea have been trying to build since we got rid of ballack/deco/carvalho two years ago. We've been rebuilding since the 10-11 season and we've finally done it imo. We were never strong enough to title challenge when we came 6th 2 seasons ago but coming 6th was down to bad management by AVB. However last season we had a squad capable of title challenging and I was pretty disappointed that we didn't, due to emelano loaning over 20 players who could have helped us with a title challenge, most notably the CM/AM positions with essien and kevin de bruyne who would have been very useful at times this season where our squad looked lethargic and we don't even need to talk about lukaku.

Striker situation

Spoiler

We won't dominate, city and united will never let that happen, arsenal are coming good too and liverpool look very promising under rodgers now but are still a little bit away from the top teams, spurs will be around the same level but they won't get that lucky break anytime soon they should just focus on the cups and come 5th/6th.

Good luck with your exam :goodluck:
Reply 3218
Luiz isn't leaving, wasn't he supposed to join barca a year ago. Lets be honest mourinho can see his quality, it's there for the world to see, if he's able to use sergio ramos as a CB who is a fairly positive CB we'd do the same with luiz, he'd just use him in a higher up position, essien looks likely to stay too, which I really want to see as he's a great player.

I think mourinho will stay here for long, at least 5 years provided that the media don't hound him out like they did in spain.
Original post by jam277
Dead this talk about united coming 4th. They're way ahead of arsenal, all they need is a CM and their team is complete. They have a great strikeforce, while the wingers were shocking they have very good attacking midfielders in kagawa and rooney, kags can play on the wing as well and started to show his quality late on in the season, carrick is a top player clearly. They need a destroyer CM and a replacement for paul scholes who can dictate a game from deep and get goals from that position. What united have is a big squad that can be rotated and all the players can do a job when required, so the team rarely suffers from fatigue and is why many of the seasons united would be many points behind a team and still catch up and win a title.

Heck, united beat arsenal with 7 defenders in the first 11 2 years ago and it just so happened that the defenders were the ones who absolutely destroyed them. It's more than just a winning mentality, I think there's genuine quality in the squad, not amazing quality but quality none the less and they have experience of winning titles and a mix of youth who will/already have the quality to win titles as well. The team doesn't look like an FM super team but that doesn't matter if utilized properly they'd be better than most of the squads in the league and that's what matters and that's what wins titles. Mourinho did the exact same thing at inter and porto where he had limited funds but utilized the squad to compete on all fronts.

You're alive! Thought you were dead man -- it's not like you to not post in the football threads for 3 days.

With my posts I (partly) wanted to rustle some fans jimmies, and I succeeded. Relax, fam.

Latest