The Student Room Group

Current year 11's - do you know what uni course you want to study?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Hopefully! Anyways I can't really escape from the fact that I'm quite middle class myself really. I don't know as much about unis as others on here- maybe it's because I'm the oldest child so I'm the first through the system
Either Electric and Electronic Engineering, or the same but with Mathematics in Nottingham University. Its one of the top uni's for that course and ima ctually looking forward to it :s-smilie:
Reply 262
fanks bruhh- I go to a grammar school, so I don't pay but you have to take a test to get in. Wait- if you count state schools as middle class, what class are people from private schools?
And as a side note- I reckon I could get into Oxford if i worked hard enough, I think many people could- it just takes hard work- depends if they really want it you get me?
Reply 263
Nahh I know what you mean, I was just interested. I would count myself as middle class because my mum is a teacher, but we're not that rich so I wouldn't count us as upper class- I count a millionaire as upper class defo- probably people at private schools, but many who go to private schools aren't that rich nowadays either.

I wouldn't count grammar schools as a higher class than state as both are free- any class can go, that's why I like the idea in theory.

I didn't mean you have to be a certain class to go to a uni- but some unis like Oxford are renowned for being upper class and snobbish- which I don't know if I fancy. But I think i might just go for it.
Reply 264
Original post by Farah_786
OMG.. Eveyone is so clever on TSR.. However, i'm so stupid, as the highest I can ever achieve is a C.

I've also notice how everyone on here seems to be an honour student ahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
ok, i know you probably have come across a person at some point in yur lives who will always say this . . .

but i really want to get into oxford. cambridge would be nice too, but oxford is the one for me

though i dont mind going to ucl to do medicine.

and the course i want to study... i want to keep my options free at the moment, and choose a bit later, when i am confident that this is what i want to do. i want to either be a gynacologist, a cardiologist, a neurologist, or something else in (general)surgery

my predicted grades are a/b grades but thats only because of a silly midyest test in yr 7. and work experience ... well only school work experience in a dentist, so not a lot. but in summer hopefully i can do something.

oh and good luck to everyone for getting into their desired destination!!!!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 266
PREDICTED GCSE GRADES: 10.5 As - already got an A in maths :biggrin:
A-LEVELS YOU PLAN ON TAKING: maths, biology, chemistry and geography
UNIVERSITY PLANS: hope to study veterinary medicine :moo:
WHICH UNI: Liverpool even though I live at the other end of the country haha
WORK EXPERIENCE: nearly a year in a kennels and cattery, and a week booked at SA vets in August. Oh and hopefully a week at a zoo in October :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 267
Original post by Ferrari Lexus
ok, i know you probably have come across a person at some point in yur lives who will always say this . . .

but i really want to get into oxford. cambridge would be nice too, but oxford is the one for me

though i dont mind going to ucl to do medicine.

and the course i want to study... i want to keep my options free at the moment, and choose a bit later, when i am confident that this is what i want to do. i want to either be a gynacologist, a cardiologist, a neurologist, or something else in (general)surgery

my predicted grades are a/b grades but thats only because of a silly midyest test in yr 7. and work experience ... well only school work experience in a dentist, so not a lot. but in summer hopefully i can do something.

oh and good luck to everyone for getting into their desired destination!!!!

seems like you have a very detailed plan!! UCL is a very nice medical school and i would like to go there if cambridge doesn't want me :smile: but i will try my best!
Original post by JackTeh96
seems like you have a very detailed plan!! UCL is a very nice medical school and i would like to go there if cambridge doesn't want me :smile: but i will try my best!

Same, coz its still sich a nice uni! i wnt their for a lecture!! AWESOME!!!
predicted GCSE grades: A* s, my french listening exam did not go well though :tongue:
A-levels you plan on taking:
Maths, Biology, History and either RS or Chemistry
University plans (if any) :
not sure, but I'm interested in law or something to do with biology (I think you can tell I'm a little indecisive)
Which university:
if law, then going to the Groningen, Netherlands would be amazing:biggrin:
Work experience:
none :frown: does anyone have any advice on getting some?
I am going on a scientific expedition to work with biological researchers in Indonesia next year! will be awesome :wink:

And best wishes to everyone doing exams, I hope you achieve the grades you want :smile::smile::smile:
Reply 270
predicted GCSE grades: A* x 8 and 1 A (art!), A for FSMQ Ad maths,A^ (double star, I know it's crazy) for Further Maths, B for AS Economics and Critical Thinking
A-levels you plan on taking: Further Maths, Maths, Physics, Chemistry, History, EPQ (compulsory)
University plans (if any) : Maths!
Which university: Cambridge, Exeter or Durham
Work experience:
1 week with the Millennium Mathematics Project

Cambridge is a long shot, but I'm going to try anyway :s-smilie:
Reply 271
Predicted gcses: a*s in all sciences all A's and a b in English lit

A-level choice: economics Italian biology chemistry.

University: Exeter, bath or ucl to study biochemistry.
Always wanted to open up a bar though lol :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 272
Original post by Red Fox
Predicted GCSE grades: 5A* and 1A. Already have an A* in Maths, A in Geography and a B in English Language.
A-levels you plan on taking: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry.
University plans (if any) : Engineering/Physics
Which university: Oxford or UCL
Work experience: Red Bull Racing

My brother is doing mechanical engineering at imperial London, he says its hard work but well worth it! Good luck anyways, and red bull racing work experience sounds great!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 273
Original post by Cluck
predicted GCSE grades: A* x 8 and 1 A (art!), A for FSMQ Ad maths,A^ (double star, I know it's crazy) for Further Maths, B for AS Economics and Critical Thinking
A-levels you plan on taking: Further Maths, Maths, Physics, Chemistry, History, EPQ (compulsory)
University plans (if any) : Maths!
Which university: Cambridge, Exeter or Durham
Work experience:
1 week with the Millennium Mathematics Project

Cambridge is a long shot, but I'm going to try anyway :s-smilie:

You might as well apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 274
Original post by OneDayDoctor
Hey :smile:

I remember being like this in year 11 :smile: Seems like way more than 3 year ago! I guess time flies when you're having fun!

Just want to say that you do not need half a million A* to do medicine! Aim for as many as you can by all means, but don't think you've lost all hop of becoming a doctor if you don't get loads. I know that liverpool uses a points system for sorting applicants, and both an A and an A* are worth the same amount. Likewise, remember it's not just what you do, it's what you've got out of it. You may climb a mountain or volunteer somewhere for months, but if you can't say what you've learned from that experience and how it's benefited/ motivated you then there's not much point putting it in your ps when you apply.

For work experience, take advantage of your school during A levels! They always want help with running events, supporting lessons etc. I found working in my schools learning support department incredible!

Oh- and by the time you apply there'll be a lot less of you who actually apply for law/ medicine/ vet med!

At the end of the day its how well you do in your a-levels, gcse's are pretty much stepping stones into a-levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 275
Original post by Ferrari Lexus
Same, coz its still sich a nice uni! i wnt their for a lecture!! AWESOME!!!

How do you get the chance of going for a lecture?
oh as a trip. it was on spices and food. it wasnt really about the insides of the human body but it was still cool!!!! and i just went to really explore the uni, the lecture was a bonus. its free and anyone can go (though it was held in may but there are lots of other things! and some you may have to book beforehand by emailing the person in charge like i did). and i went to a royal holloway programme too!! but that was really physics related . . .

ive been to quite a few and i cant really remember the actual course now coz this was last yeear. and ive been to dif unis to get a feel of the place and explore how it is like.

when my cousin went to UCL's open day i went with her. that was really AWESOME!!! we took a tour round the uni and saw the libraries and stuff!!
Original post by JackTeh96
How do you get the chance of going for a lecture?
Original post by alice_c_97
Hey all,
Kinda new to this so sorry if this is wrong :confused:
Just really wondering if anyone knows what uni course they're going to take & what a-levels etc.
Please answer:

predicted GCSE grades:
A-levels you plan on taking:
University plans (if any) :
Which university:
Work experience:

My predicted grades are all A/A* and I plan on taking biology, chemistry and Spanish for definite next year, just unsure on my 4th :/ I hope to study either medicine/nursing/pharmacy at university hopefully in London, Bristol or Birmingham. I'm also taking part in extra-cirriculars to help myself 'stand out' from everyone:L

I've been thinking about the future a lot and just wondered if I was the only one?!

It's fine :smile: I'm chickening out too - and I dunno what to take for a-levels. haven't done my mocks so haven't gotten predicted grades yet.... no work experience either :frown:
Original post by Lhoque
It's fine :smile: I'm chickening out too - and I dunno what to take for a-levels. haven't done my mocks so haven't gotten predicted grades yet.... no work experience either :frown:

This is a throooooooooowwwwwwback wow..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alice_c_97
Hey all,
Kinda new to this so sorry if this is wrong :confused:
Just really wondering if anyone knows what uni course they're going to take & what a-levels etc.
Please answer:

predicted GCSE grades:A*A*A*776C (already have A Spanish (yr9) & Core science A*(yr10))
A-levels you plan on taking:French,Geography(?), law.
University plans (if any) :Law (could change)
Which university:biggrin:urham, or another Russell group university.
Work experience:None, although I have completed my Bronze DofE and plan on doing Gold

My predicted grades are all A/A* and I plan on taking biology, chemistry and Spanish for definite next year, just unsure on my 4th :/ I hope to study either medicine/nursing/pharmacy at university hopefully in London, Bristol or Birmingham. I'm also taking part in extra-cirriculars to help myself 'stand out' from everyone:L

I've been thinking about the future a lot and just wondered if I was the only one?!

Best of luck for yr11 everyone :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest