The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2200
oka I have a question for you guys! it comes up a lot....................................why are catalyst used in industrial process...4 marks
Original post by Sam_1996
-recycle them
-burn them for fuel
-landfill sites
But i can't get a fourth

feedstock/cracking
Original post by Sam_1996
-recycle them
-burn them for fuel
-landfill sites
But i can't get a fourth

Cracking,Biodegradable and photodragradable polymers
Reply 2203
Original post by simifeltham
State four ways in which polymers are disposed?

Burned to produce energy
Sorted and Recycled
Feedstock recycling
Cracking to form new polymers??
Original post by geekD96
oka I have a question for you guys! it comes up a lot....................................why are catalyst used in industrial process...4 marks

Speed up reactions
lower activation energy
less fossil fuels/less co2
alternate routes can be discovered
less toxic gas
Reply 2205
Original post by Blashnet
omg thankyou!! :biggrin:

So any radical has undergone homolytic fission?

Yes because a radical has an unpaired electron:biggrin:
Reply 2206
Original post by reneetaylor
Okay, thanks Jimmy.
I was thinking that as the c=c bond is going to involve the first carbon anyway.

I panicked as I thought you had to be precise!

If it's got more than 3 carbons it's safe to start calling compounds but-1-ene or pent-2-ene I think :smile:

Yes, if its got more than 3 carbons then you have to.
Can someone please explain whats going on/help me?
i was marking my june 2010 question: 1e
the answers i got were 1.56x10^-3 for part 2 and 1.5x10^-6 for part 3
but the mark scheme answers are different:confused: 1.56x10^4 and 1.5x10^4 repectively
i am so confused, is something wrong with my calulator?
Reply 2208
Afternoon exams are so poor
Reply 2209
Which definitions are likely to come up, apart from enthalpy of combustion/formation/reaction?
Original post by geekD96

The provide an alternative reaction pathway with lower Ea so the reaction can occur at a lower temperature. They are not used up in the reaction and they increase atom economy. Produce less CO2. Increase the rate of reaction so there are more successful collisions between particles.
Reply 2211
did your teachers give you any hints?????/
Heterolytic the covalent bond brakes and both electrons go to one atom
Homolytic the covalent bond brakes and one electron goes to each carbon forming radicals.

e.g Heterolytic - HBr -> H+ + Br-

Homolytic Cl2 -> Cl. + Cl.

does that mean, in nucleophilic substitution, it's always heterolytic?
Reply 2213
Original post by anonymousecheese
Can someone please explain whats going on/help me?
i was marking my june 2010 question: 1e
the answers i got were 1.56x10^-3 for part 2 and 1.5x10^-6 for part 3
but the mark scheme answers are different:confused: 1.56x10^4 and 1.5x10^4 repectively
i am so confused, is something wrong with my calulator?

I got the same I don't understand how to get the answer on the markscheme:/

It is indeed but so are electrophilic addition reactions.

you will only really come across homolytic fission in ozone depletion reactions or radical substitutions
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2215
Original post by Kits
Afternoon exams are so poor

aww you will be fine think positive ... to be honest I prefer afternoon ones...after lunch lol in the mornings I feel tired and hungry and sick:frown:

Both of the bonded electrons will go to one of the bonded atoms, forming an ion- in heterolytic fission that is.

So heterolytic it's usually involved in a bond where there are atoms of different species

For example in H-Br, bromine is the most electronegative and therefore takes both of the bonded electrons in the covalent bond, making it more negative.

You will notice that heterolytic fission occurs mostly in nucelophilic substitution, where a dipole is induced in a C-X (X= halogen) bond, halogen takes both of the bonded pair of electrons, leaving a carbocation which is positively charged.

The nucleophile can be anything from OH to...anything else (lol), and this will form a bond with the carbocation, leaving the halogen.
Reply 2217
It is indeed

nucleophillic=heterophilic...and electrophilic=homo? is this right
Original post by Freyaa
I got the same I don't understand how to get the answer on the markscheme:/

ok so its not my calculator...its me:confused:
Reply 2219
Original post by JimmyA*
Here's a few good questions:
Why does the pi-bond break and not the sigma bond?(it's a question which alot of people forget and hasn't come up for a while)
What is the advantage of using the ziegler-natta process over radical polymerisation?
What are the current problems with storing Carbon in stable minerals?

I'd say that the pi bond is weaker than the sigma bond so less energy is required to break it...
Radical polymerisation forms too many products ( at a guess, never heard of zeigler-natta)
Not sure about last one :confused:
[EDIT] When reactin CO2 with metal oxide the reaction rate is very slow and a lot of energy is needed to speed up the reaction making it an unreasonable solution
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending