The Student Room Group

ENGB3 AQA 3rd June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by muyiwaolu
CLA went fantastically (I did question 2) and thoroughly enjoyed comparing the writing and reading aspects of language development. Great way to bring in lots of theory and compare/contrast. The language change wasn't as good as my CLA in my opinion, although I wrote more. I did question 4 and I had a hard time talking about much after I discussed lexis and grammar. I went on to talk about context, social attitudes and graphology a little bit while trying to be as perceptive as possible. Hopefully I did enough for an A.

Did Lizzie which is question 2 for CLA.. talked about:
1. genre, audience, purpose, said it was in the preparation stage of Kroll, Britton's- mainly expressive style of writing revealing personal conventions and activities.
2. grammar- we/our- inclusive pronouns therefore aware of genre. concrete nouns only- talked about Piaget here saying that she doesn't understand abstracts that is why she hasn't used them, declarative sentences, lack of subjunctive/coordinative conjunction, homophones, lack of adjectives, correc utilisation on past tense like we saw- irregular past tense verbs- Brown..
3. Spelling- most are correctly spelt- phonologically viable, some errors like transposition, omission, insertion (because of the dialect maybe) and so on..

Does it sound right?
Reply 201
The paper was rather hard! I found it really hard to squeeze all the info into the time given. Had 3 minutes to spare and look over it. I did the Leila question where for some strange reason I didn't even mention Vygotsky and more knowledgable other!! Grrr then the 1770 text was quite alright but again, due to rushing I missed the censoring of religious words. I seemed to just cram in A01 and theorists in language change but didn't really expand on why language actually changed :frown: waaaaa time was just the main issue
Reply 202
I found it so hard to apply relevant terminology to question 3 - the Boston massacre testimony..anyone else have this problem? I wrote way too much about context..and also didn't know which theorists I could include for A02?
Reply 203
I'm really really hoping the grade boundaries might be lowered for this paper!! Pretty much everyone in my class found language change hard and by the sounds of very one on here you guys did too!
Fingers crossed..:redface: :s-smilie:
Original post by Leighash
Wow sounds like you've done well! I wrote about him wanting to make the court believe he was innocent, about the importance of religion and how God was censored and the formal lexis. I considered writing about declaratives but I didn't have time & I completely blanked out with what to write for discourse so just ended up saying it was typical of a newspaper and that it was in chronological order - argh! I did so poorly on section B. Section A wasn't really too great either. :frown:

Don't worry about it, it sounds to me like you've done well- you included the most interesting points where you can link it back to pragmatics and that's what tends to get the higher marks :smile: Everyone here is saying it was a hard paper, I think it was a lot more difficult than the past papers I've done. I stared at it blankly for about 5 minutes because both language change questions looked so awful :tongue: Which question did you do for section A?
Everybody who took the exam at my college found CLA fine but language change awful! Me included, I did the two inspection reports for change and Lizzie's school trip report for CLA.
I am so disappointed as I think it'll bring my grade down overall in the exam having done bad in the change section :/ I blame our teacher partly for only going through advertisements as practice questions and not looking at any other genre.
Reply 206
Original post by Sophster101
Everybody who took the exam at my college found CLA fine but language change awful! Me included, I did the two inspection reports for change and Lizzie's school trip report for CLA.
I am so disappointed as I think it'll bring my grade down overall in the exam having done bad in the change section :/ I blame our teacher partly for only going through advertisements as practice questions and not looking at any other genre.

I completely agree! However, I did the other question for language change, question 3 about the Boston massacre but I did so badly in it and couldn't find enough to talk about. I learnt so much terminology but found it extremely hard to actually apply it to the text. I think the language change question is definitely going to bring my mark down and I was on a good A which will now probably go down to a low B due to this paper..but on the bright side, everyone feels the same way about this so the grade boundaries might be lower!
Are you suppose to mention theorists in language change? We were only ever taught to put them into child aquisition :s-smilie:
No way! Looks like I've failed as well.
I did Leila for CLA. I could see speech and '2 years and 5 months' through the paper, and I was jumping for joy! Until AQA decide to give us the curve ball of barely any parental interaction and she's talking like a loony to her goddamn toys!
Everyone in my language class found speech so hard! There was hardly any CDS, I hate Jan she is a bitch. And I'm sorry but all you could really talk about when all the crazy 'iggle piggle' stuff was going on was egocentric speech?!
I found change much easier, I did the ofsted/government report and found it ok, I mainly spoke about prestige, in formalisation and technological factors (like the introduction of 'gramophones' and everyday curriculum of 'ICT').

The only thing that gives me hope is that this exam is only 30% of the overall grade which isn't too bad. I need an A for Belfast but after this exam I will most likely get a B.

The only thing that makes it all better though is the thought of a nice drunken summer before that fatal results day...
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1370293009.873065.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IRP
I completely agree! However, I did the other question for language change, question 3 about the Boston massacre but I did so badly in it and couldn't find enough to talk about. I learnt so much terminology but found it extremely hard to actually apply it to the text. I think the language change question is definitely going to bring my mark down and I was on a good A which will now probably go down to a low B due to this paper..but on the bright side, everyone feels the same way about this so the grade boundaries might be lower!

I did so much terminology revision too, but couldn't pick out many A01 points, most of the theory we were taught to was based upon attitudes to change, so not really relevant to constantly talk about, and agin most of our theorists were based upon advertisements and media texts, not other genres.Hopefully the boundaries will be low I was on a good A before the exam, including my A2 coursework, so I needed a D in the exam to get an A overall, but I just feel so let down by my teacher for not preparing us for this, I put in to much effort to try and get an A* overall by getting a good A in this exam. Grrr so frustrated, but got to move on I guess and focus on other exams :smile: I think I've got that rant out my system. Lol.
Reply 210
Original post by Sophster101
I did so much terminology revision too, but couldn't pick out many A01 points, most of the theory we were taught to was based upon attitudes to change, so not really relevant to constantly talk about, and agin most of our theorists were based upon advertisements and media texts, not other genres.Hopefully the boundaries will be low I was on a good A before the exam, including my A2 coursework, so I needed a D in the exam to get an A overall, but I just feel so let down by my teacher for not preparing us for this, I put in to much effort to try and get an A* overall by getting a good A in this exam. Grrr so frustrated, but got to move on I guess and focus on other exams :smile: I think I've got that rant out my system. Lol.

This sounds exactly the same as me! I'm hoping on the grade boundaries being low too..I got an A at AS and a good A at A2 coursework and I need a B overall, so hopefully I can still get a B even though I did awful in this exam..yeh i've had such a rant but theres nothing we can do now just wait for results :smile: good luck in your other exams!
chose the leila question the lack of a caregiver in the first half totally threw me off guard though and chose the boston stuff......found the paper really hard
Original post by ellenpapworth
So basically I failed

Posted from TSR Mobile

most people are dissapointed.....my last hope is low grade boudaries:mad:
does it matter that i didn't write the number question in the box!? and i didn't cross my plan out nor label it!? helpp!!!! :frown:
Reply 214
Original post by ColdHugs22
chose the leila question the lack of a caregiver in the first half totally threw me off guard though and chose the boston stuff......found the paper really hard

what did you write about the boston text?
Original post by IRP
what did you write about the boston text?

mostly on context i.e religion, authority and class
and also wrote alot on prescriptive/descriptive changes and the effects on orthography, grammar etc

was running short of time though so only managed abour 3-4 pages and didnt get a chance to ention too much about loan/losy/new words :rolleyes:
Reply 216
I'm finding it difficult to know how I feel about this exam. I have mixed feelings. Essays are so hard to tell how well you've done. I'm hoping it went ok and my blagging worked ha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Absolutely hated that exam, really difficult! Does anyone know what grade is needed for this if I've had two As for coursework and an A in the As exam - in order to get an A overall?

I've got Leila and Jen to thank if I fail...
Reply 218
Original post by 2012studentrooom
Absolutely hated that exam, really difficult! Does anyone know what grade is needed for this if I've had two As for coursework and an A in the As exam - in order to get an A overall?

I've got Leila and Jen to thank if I fail...

I have the same results as you so far, two As in coursework and overall I got an A as AS last year. I need to get a B for this subject but this exam went SO badly today! what did you write for question 1 about Leila? and what question did you do for change?
Reply 219
I thought it went awfully but you all seemed to put simmilar things, I got 98% in last year and 77/80 in my coursework soo I hope this went okay...need an A*.

Did 1+4 and found:

Context
Who even was that woman Jan as a stranger Leila would be less comfortable, but then her primary caregivers trusted Jan with Leila so they must vaugely know each other
The other text I said as it was a homely environment so more comfortable but then as she was "taken" implying against her will she may be acting odd (summaraising here :L)
About her age I said she should be telegraphic 24-36 months but she's a bit odd...

Theories
Power- She seemed to rebel magorly against the influential power by her father and likes to boss her toys about, but then she responded well to the instrumental power by Jan
Positive/Negative face - she respected Iggle or Momo? face needs (Felt like such a **** going on about Momo's face needs) but didn't to Jan as she was like "Push me in" Jan respected her faces loads
Imitation - WOW that was the only nice bit they threw you marks by having her immitate her dad and Jan
Vygotski - She learnt playing on her own to pronounce some word or something

A01

Didn't know particples
Indefinite verbs she used a lot
Phonetically she hated voiced/voiceless plosives which is just weird as kids her age are supposed to struggle with Fricatives. "Muh" "Ruh" etc...loooads to say on this, also she struggled with the AH sound a lot.
She knew her quantifying determiners but not her demonstrative determiners
She kept going back to two word stage stuff like Entity+attribute and such
She referred to herself as Leila suggesting she struggled with Personal pronouns

Can't think of much more I said now as it's 1am! If I think of any more I will add them.
Tough exam, but unfortunately the grade boundaries don't seem to majorly shift...

Quick Reply

Latest